Logic 10.6.2. Release Notes

David Nahmani

Will try that tomorrow,thanks!

My bet is that the project is made in 10.6.1 (fairly big project with bus/sidechaining) and now it sounds different on 10.6.2 because differences in the way the PDC works between these versions.

When I open the project using Logic 10.6.1 it sounds right,but the same project sounds (especially the sidechained compressed bass) sloppy/late..

Anyway will try to reset SMC tomorrow,thnx

The same project sounds sloppy/late in 10.6.2 I mean :)

ah, got it. problem i guess sometimes, where a bug fix could screw up the workaround one uses because of the bug itself. so, may be that my suggestions won't matter, and you'd need to look at how to 'adapt' to the fix. let us know what happens...

Hi, thanks for reply.

Tried increasing buffer size but still no solution. I had to reinstall (from timemachine) the 10.6.1 version so I could get the work done today. Opened projects in 10.6.1 and everything worked fine.

Think i'll just wait for 10.6.3 ;-)

Hi :)

After upgrading to 10.6.2 all my Drummer tracks is not working right. I open a song with 20-30 tracks, and everything sounds fine until I select a Drummer-track. Then all I hear from the Drummer-track is klicks and short clips of drum sounds.

Any suggestions on this?

I'm on Big Sur 11.2.1 Mac mini M1, 2020

Hi there, does it sound like the audio is breaking up/ skipping, and do you get any error messages?

Try increasing your buffer size and see if that helps.

there isn't enough difference between 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 to cause these sort-of issues. try a reboot; try resetting the nvram, or smc. and perhaps others have ideas about this.

i don't hear any difference (sound, timing) in any of the files i've opened since the new update; no one else has mentioned that either.

Like TimWellens, I'm seeing the same thing. I reset NVRAM and SMC, btw, and nothing changed.

It could very well be that these projects that used our sidechain workarounds in 10.6.1 are now messed up in 10.6.2 because things have been fixed.

However, I'm seeing other issues like intense CPU spikes on minimal projects, which I never had before.

I rolled back completely to 10.6.1 like howardpain, and things are flowing smoother than in 10.6.2.

I'll have to troubleshoot more in the future when I have more spare time.

there isn't enough difference between 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 to cause these sort-of issues. try a reboot; try resetting the nvram, or smc. and perhaps others have ideas about this.

i don't hear any difference (sound, timing) in any of the files i've opened since the new update; no one else has mentioned that either.

Like TimWellens, I'm seeing the same thing. I reset NVRAM and SMC, btw, and nothing changed.

It could very well be that these projects that used our sidechain workarounds in 10.6.1 are now messed up in 10.6.2 because things have been fixed.

However, I'm seeing other issues like intense CPU spikes on minimal projects, which I never had before.

I rolled back completely to 10.6.1 like howardpain, and things are flowing smoother than in 10.6.2.

might be worth looking for common denominators with timWellens, like the sidechain thing. here, am not experiencing any cpu spikes, or any unusual behaviors... yet. and worth keeping an eye on this forum (& the web in general); see if anyone else has issues (and hopefully, solutions).

might be worth looking for common denominators with timWellens, like the sidechain thing. here, am not experiencing any cpu spikes, or any unusual behaviors... yet. and worth keeping an eye on this forum (& the web in general); see if anyone else has issues (and hopefully, solutions).

Yes, definitely, I'll keep an eye out. I'm sure we'll find some solutions.

Actually, there's already been a few Reddit posts touching on this today.

TimWellens, you should see if this fixes your issue:

This worked for me:

Go to Preferences > Audio > General - Plugin Latency

Under "Compensation" select: "Audio and Software Instrument Tracks"

Source:

This worked for me:

Source:

good find! wonder why this is happening for some, but nice that there's a fix.

I had to reinstall (from timemachine) the 10.6.1 version so I could get the work done today.

Next time an update comes out, right-click the Logic app and select Make Copy and you will have a renamed Logic Pro Copy app that won't get updated.

No need for Time Machine.

I just did this and something got messed up in Big Sur 10.3 on an M1 MacBook Air. I recommend after making a copy, move the copy from the Applications folder to somewhere else. After the update, I actually had two copies of 10.6.1 of logic. Interestingly the only way to open up logic 10.6.2 was to go to at the App Store and search for logic and press open. somebody else had the same issue here. I reported this to Apple. I solved my situation by deleting and re-downloading logic.

...@Mania...sounds very much like my situation. Look inside the containers for each of the 1061's and I bet one of them is actually going to be 1062. The fact you can start the 1062 from the app.store means the update was done on you disk, but the followup/cleanup got botched. Look at my prior post...hth.../s~

I just did a quick test. Still have a problem with side chain PDC:

Yup. It seems like the PDC was not entirely fixed. The bus sidechain latency is still a thing.

Someone posted this video on Reddit:

Apparently in that video, the user is using MSSpectral Dynamics. That is a mastering plug-in, which isn't really meant to be used for individual channel strip processing, and it creates over 8000 ms of latency, which will seriously push the limits of the PDC a DAW can handle. No DAW out there is without limits to what their PDC algorithms can handle.

Of all the problems I've had with mac's over the years, never once did resetting the NVRAM and/or SMC ever solve a thing :)

Of all the problems I've had with mac's over the years, never once did resetting the NVRAM and/or SMC ever solve a thing :)

and yet it's helped lots of people on this forum, & on the macrumors forum (the 2 forums i hang out on).

your singular experience doesnt' invalidate everyone else's. and you can google these things, to find out more about what they do... and why they often help.

Is the scroll direction reversed in this version for you? Like when you wanna change pan with the mouse scroll wheel? It is for me....

possibly a glitch; check it elsewhere (ie web browsing); is the direction 'reversed' there too? you can fix it here: system preferences>mouse>scroll direction

and yet it's helped lots of people on this forum, & on the macrumors forum (the 2 forums i hang out on).

your singular experience doesnt' invalidate everyone else's. and you can google these things, to find out more about what they do... and why they often help.

Jeez! Keep your hair on, will ya! I didn't say my experience invalidated anything. I know exactly what resetting the NVRAM and SMC are supposed to do. I was merely stating that in my experience they have never solved anything.

Is the scroll direction reversed in this version for you? Like when you wanna change pan with the mouse scroll wheel? It is for me....

No, ti's working as expected here. Do you have a backup of 10.6.1 to compare against? Otherwise it could be a global mouse setting in your System Preferences?

A restart reversed it back! My goodness!

Jeez! Keep your hair on, will ya! I didn't say my experience invalidated anything. I know exactly what resetting the NVRAM and SMC are supposed to do. I was merely stating that in my experience they have never solved anything.

and i didn't mean any harm, was also just making my point, that these can be very helpful; your post seemed to suggest these things served no purpose.

am keeping my hair on, you should do the same. 8-)

This worked for me:

Source:

Thnx!!! Will try it out this evening will keep you guys posted!

EDIT : just tested this but this made things MUCH worse, timing is bouncing all over the place.

But I reworked the 10.6.1 project in 10.6.2 by deleting the offending chains (most Klopfgeist-bus-no output, bus triggering the bass compressor) and just reinserted it and all of the sudden now all is playing smooth and tight?!

Need to check some other projects but at this moment Im a happy fella. Still not sure I can rely on 10.6.2 or I should just roll back to 10.6.1,from which Im sure it does what I want it to do ;)

Anyway major lesson learnt....A small point update might be a MUCH bigger update than one could expect, especially if there is timing involved.

Sorry English is not my native language but Im sure you understand.

Will keep an eye on this matter so all new findings more than welcome ;)

Edited by TimWellens

Alright please chill out everyone it's Friday night (at least here in France)!! Put your hands up in the air like you just don't care!! :lol:

David, are you back in France? I thought you were in the States!

Apparently in that video, the user is using MSSpectral Dynamics. That is a mastering plug-in, which isn't really meant to be used for individual channel strip processing, and it creates over 8000 ms of latency, which will seriously push the limits of the PDC a DAW can handle. No DAW out there is without limits to what their PDC algorithms can handle.

Very good to know, thank you! :mrgreen:

EDIT : just tested this but this made things MUCH worse, timing is bouncing all over the place.

Yes, my bad. It seems that wasn't actually a solution, as seen in this Reddit post:

We'll have to keep experimenting and seeing what's the best solution!