Buying a new iMac 27" worried about transfer

jaykeel

Hi there! I'm new here, I searched for my answer and got some results but from a few years ago. I'm wondering if anything has changed? Ok, so my current iMac 27 is from mid 2010. I've wanted to upgrade to Logic X but my computer simply won't allow it, understandably. Even when I updated to High Sierra my L9 was crossed out and unusable. Thanks to Time Machine, I was able to switch back to the previous evening. I understand that there used to be access to older versions but that is no longer the case? I'm running Sierra Version 10.12.6 (2.93GHz i7) with 20g Ram. The biggest reason I need to do this is to install Logic X. And the new OS would be great too! I'm confused about how to do this correctly and with minimal loss. I'm worried about my 64bit Soft Synths, my projects/songs and most importantly my EXS 24 Samples. I sampled all of my Vintage synths years ago using a company that no longer exists if that matters?. They are stored on the internal HD2 which is a 1Terabyte drive along with all of my other sample libraries. (The Orchestra, Ivory, Omnisphere, etc.) I would love for it to be a seamless transition, but am not very hopeful of this. I've been meaning to upgrade to a new Mac for years but have always been leery about losing all of this info. Now there are plugins that I need/want that don't support L9. Any advise on how to do this the right way? Time Machine? Is there a better way? I'm a musician that can get around Logic fairly well but this is a daunting and stressful task for someone like me. BTW I called apple support yesterday asking about buying Logic X from the app store on a compatible machine, then downloading it on my machine later. They told me that it no longer works like that.? Thanks in advance! -Jay

really subjective answer...

As long as clients and money are involved I would wait and finish those tasks.

If I would upgrade after 11 years I would prefer an unencumbered system without any old data or installations (exception: iCloud contacts, calendar, mails) I would also consolidate/bounce some important old sessions to audio files and make sessions with the least amount of plugins and instruments. Sometimes it's time to move ff and never look back.

PS: what I experienced... downloading and re-installing like 300GB of Native instruments, Slate Drums, Spectrasonics etc etc takes a loooong time but it's quicker than trying to get it to work correctly via a transfer/copy - it just never really worked for me

Thank you so much for replying!

danyg, I think you are absolutely right about starting fresh with a new machine. There's just too much stuff on there to try and save. It's not a realistic expectation. Triplets, thank you so much for letting me in on that. I would have bought the 27" with the old technology if it weren't for you. Whew! I will definitely wait for the 27" to get it's upgrade to the new chip. Hopefully it's sometime this year. I'll have more specific questions then. But for now, thanks so much for the great advice and for helping me. My wife thanks you too LOL! I feel much better about making the switch.

Thanks again! -Jay