Pro Tips for Migrating to New Computer?

My M1Macbook Pro arrived in the mail!!! I think my current laptop is barely going to survive setting up the new one, so it's perfect timing!

I'm pretty sure I won't use the migration assistant in an effort to de-clutter. I'm wondering if you have any tips on setting up a new computer that can help me avoid a lot of pain in the process. One thing I feel like I'm going to have to do is figure out if/how I can run an older OS like Catalina (my current operating system) on there...

Lot's of knowledgeable people here so any tips are very welcome!

- d

Logic 10.7.1

OSX 12.0.1

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)

Apple M1 Max

32GB

Apogee Element 24

Does an M1 Mac can run pre Big Sur macOS?

I would install everything from scratch. Tedious but chances are that you will have a clean install…

LogicPro 10.7.4, MainStage 3.6,
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6, MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.16.1,
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII, Several vintage gear
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, Arturia, etc..., PC, iPadPro 5th gen 12.9”(Duet D., V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL),

Pro tip - don't try to downgrade the OS on the new computer. The M1 started life as a Big Sur computer, and has been since the beginning. In fact - upgrade to Monterey as the first thing, then install things as needed.

Trying to use older macOS is simply a path to pain.

My new MBP shows up tomorrow. I will use migration assistant to transfer from M1 MacBook Air, but have a small thought to simply doing a ground-up re-install the world. Install things as needed. It is a "second" computer, designated to travel, so my working environment isn't really disrupted.

Logic Pro X 10.6.3, Logic Pro 10.7.0

OS X 10.15.7, macOS 12.0.1

iMac19,1 27" - 3.6 GHz Intel 8 Core i9 - 40GB memory -

MacBook Pro M1Pro 14" - 16GB memory - 10 core - 16 GPU - 1TB SSD)

Behringer XR18 - iPad Air (4th gen) - LaunchKey 37 mk3 - LaunchPad X - ioStation 24c

Logic Pro Command of the Day

All of the software I want to use will run on Monterey - already is - just having the serious debate about keeping the "old" way and going through the work of re-installing everything. I am still not sure ;-) but I should do the clean install of everything.

Logic Pro X 10.6.3, Logic Pro 10.7.0

OS X 10.15.7, macOS 12.0.1

iMac19,1 27" - 3.6 GHz Intel 8 Core i9 - 40GB memory -

MacBook Pro M1Pro 14" - 16GB memory - 10 core - 16 GPU - 1TB SSD)

Behringer XR18 - iPad Air (4th gen) - LaunchKey 37 mk3 - LaunchPad X - ioStation 24c

Logic Pro Command of the Day

Hoo boy. I wonder how much of my software won't run on Monterey!

Catalina was already 64-bit only.

So you can use Rosetta, which comes with Big Sur and Monterey, to run all the non-M1 stuff.

Logic Pro 9 Master Pro and X certified - ProTools 10 & 11 Certified Operator
2 x 3.06 Intel Six-Core 24 GB RAM, Logic 10.5.1, 10.14.6., UA Apollo - 2012 i7 MBP 16 GB Logic 10.6.3, 10.15.7
Contact me for Logic help (Teamviewer, Zoom, Skype) - http://www.ultimatestudiosinc.com

• 2 months later...
I did it! I've got 4TB of storage on board. I don't have a massive Sample library, but should I be partitioning part of the disk to store my Kontakt library?

Logic 10.7.1

OSX 12.0.1

Apple M1 Max

32GB

Apogee Element 24

no reason, at all, to partition these days. my suggestion: clean out your old mac, ie get rid of anything you don't need, including old applications (ie old versions of Office, for example) so you're only migrating over what you want. run a TM backup, plug that drive into the new mac... boot up, migrate. sort out whatever on the new mac, and get to work!

LP10.7.4 • os13b • 3.2GHz i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection  upstatebrooklyn

What folder path would you suggest storing the library? Is it dumb to add a folder to the system library?

what library? library files go where they're supposed to when you do installs, or a migration. don't mess with the OS library system...!

LP10.7.4 • os13b • 3.2GHz i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection  upstatebrooklyn

How big is your Kontakt library?

Are you planning on using the 4TB to store your projects on?

2 x 3.06 Intel Six-Core 24 GB RAM, Logic 10.5.1, 10.14.6., UA Apollo - 2012 i7 MBP 16 GB Logic 10.6.3, 10.15.7
Contact me for Logic help (Teamviewer, Zoom, Skype) - http://www.ultimatestudiosinc.com

My Kontakt Library is about 250GB. I'll be storing my current projects on board and archiving when they're good and done. On my old computer that's currently 150GB but I did move a bunch of old projects onto a hard drive.

Logic 10.7.1

OSX 12.0.1

Apple M1 Max

32GB

Apogee Element 24

Then you should have enough room to do everything on the laptop and then free up space onto an external HD with the finished projects.

Just make sure your external HD is not formatted in Fat32 or ExFat. Those are Windows formats and can lead to data corruption with Logic.