Two Controller Assignments tips

simoncroft

915999699_Screenshot2022-02-19at18_38_04.thumb.png.8da3701234635a470ab962d64e392338.pngI thought I'd share these to save others from the many false starts I made.

1. Document what your controller(s) will do, in terms of what every physical button, rotary and fader will be assigned to before you get started making the CAs themselves. For my first attempts, I just 'free-styled', which soon becomes confusing and is an open invitation to Mr Foul-up. Then I started documenting the assignments I'd just made. Finally, I came to realise that, if I documented what I wanted to achieve first, I would make better decisions about the structure of the Assignments.

2. If you can, use a graphic design program that allows you to create multiple pages based on a single Master page. InDesign and quark Xpress are two excellent choices, as is Affinity Publisher if you don't want to spend a lot of money on the program: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/publisher/. I started my most recent project in an OpenOffice Spreadsheet. It was only when I had created more than 40 pages, showing the approximate layout of my controller and all the CAs, that I realised I'd painted myself into a corner.

How so? Because if I changed my mind abut what plug-ins the main 40 assignment buttons were going to address, I had to cut and paste that change into every single sheet! Now I've used a layout program instead, I only have to change the Master and all the other pages follow. Plus, the clean graphic I've created is vastly easier to read than my original spreadsheet.

I know you can link cells between pages in a spreadsheet, but that's seriously time-consuming compared to my approach.

Hey! Thanx for sharing your experience!

You're very welcome. Two other benefits I should mention:

3. The speed and accuracy of my CAs has increased dramatically now I'm following a pre-made plan. There's a lot less to think about once you've hit that Learn button!

4. These graphics will be the basis of the 'slide show' I'll run in tandem with my Mac Pro on my Mac Mini. When I hit a plug-in button, a graphic will pop up on the MM, to show me what the controls on the right-hand side do for this specific plug-in.