Unitor Family Driver 3 released (with Apple Silicon support)

mmm42

You are welcome.

BTW: If you are on Intel, I think there is no reason to update from 2.5. The reason for this update is finally to support Apple Silicon, but it should work on any version of macOS 10.15 or later and on any Mac hardware. 32-bit Intel and PowerPC support are gone…

Comments from GS:

- "Thanks for sharing. I can hardly believe my luck. Today I love apple more than ever!!"

- "After iLok EMAGIC Unitor is now native Apple Silicon compatible, too Nature is healing!!! <3"

Whether it required some kidnapping and/or arm-twisting of management, or whether it was something the team endeavoured to do as a personal project or something - it's super appreciated and I'm glad (as many others are too) that I can hang on to a few more blue emagic devices (that still otherwise work perfectly) for some time to come yet! Thanks M.!

You can thank Gerhard for this – he pushed for it. And obviously a lot of people in the team had a personal interest to get their otherwise fine MIDI interfaces working on new Macs. Nobody at Apple was fighting it, everybody thought it was a neat idea to do an update for 20+ year old hardware.

The main issue was actually not the engineering part, but actually getting it shipped: building it, code-signing it, putting it into an installer – all that is something _nobody_ at Apple has ever done. It's not like Apple shipped stand-alone MIDI drivers, like ehm _ever_. So, that took a lot of time and patience, because obviously it was not Apples most important project, so it was done during some spare cycles.

We are all happy that we could do that and hope that it makes some people with these old devices smile.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Indeed! It's actually amazing how much emagic-designed gear has really stood the test of time, across what was really a fairly chaotic period in music technology. That stuff was really done right, and as a consequence, Unitors/AMT8's, and the Logic/Mackie Control (and MCU protocol) are still going strong today - and now, for some time to come.

Thanks again to everyone that made this happen!

This had made loads of people happy around the internets.

For once there's a release with nothing to complain about (even though quite a few people had seemingly, like me, decommissioned their emagic interfaces in the previous week, or bought new interfaces due to thinking they'd never be supported - but even then, there was surprisingly little moaning I've seen.)

Just good vibes all round! :)

I have 2 x Unitor8 MKII's running on a Macbook Pro 15" 10.14 and soon 10.15 (but no hurry etc) I was pleasantly surprised because I have been holding off on updating because of the unitors.. Last year I lost my 3 x PCI-e 424 and motus and had to drop 3400 on new MOTU hardware that was thunderbolt compatible so this was a real blessing... considering my 3 x old MOTU's are 24 bit and sound beautiful its almost like a waste that they work.. but are driverless...

Thanks to everyone at Apple that made this happen! My Unitors aren't 20 years old.. they are 20 years young :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Right, so I discovered the MagicUSB MIDI Driver I had been using didn't get deleted when the Unitor Family 3 driver was installed and it seems to have been preventing that from working correctly. Trashed it and now everything works fine.

Great work everyone involved! Much appreciated.

• Like 1

I had ordered an MOTU interface and it arrives tomorrow so I thought I would do one last google search for 'AMT8 M1', I'm glad I did!

I don't remember seeing it in the 10.7.4 release notes, but anyway, I'm glad that Apple have released an offical driver. I always imagined the Emagic/Apple guys in the Logic development team would still be using Unitors/AMTs. 

It is great to see Apple being more responsive to the Pro App community, baby steps but definitely in the right direction

My next goal is to get SoundDiver working in Win11 compatibility mode via parallels on M1

Edited by scottkrk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I installed the latest driver, but I had some minor problems. On the "Unitor" tab inside Project settings -> Synchronization, it said "Device Firmware: not recognized", and the device didn't respond to any changes to the SMTP sync options. No lights indicating SMTP/clock either. However, when trashing the v.3 driver and reinstalling v.2.5, it now says "Device Firmware: Ports 1…8 - Version 2.0.4" and the MTC/SMTP is working again.

Also, with the latest driver installed, the patch mode was not loading any of my custom patches, and the device didn't respond to program change messages or sysex. Works perfectly with the 2.5 driver.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone is having issues with it.

iMac 2018 (Intel)
16 GB ram
macOS 12.5 
Logic Pro 10.7.4
Unitor 8 mkII (USB)

image.thumb.png.03ea11bfad3663a30a72670a6e70bc84.png

Edited by atchoo