What is the easiest way to get a tempo map for midi of an audio/song?

jeffloven
Go to solution Solved by jeffloven,

I imported some tracks of a song with guitar and drums. The song moves through several intense tempo dynamics and is a bit of a fast tempo metal style song. I'm wanting to make a midi file of the audio drums. I will tap out and program the beats but I'm wanting to do it to grid.  I wish I had this audio synced to click but there's no way to just set a tempo and go with it as the song moves thru many tempos. There used to be sort of a complicated way to make a midi tempo map. Something like tap in the quarter notes to the audio and then and bunch of other hoops to jump through and it usually only worked 75% of the time for me (or less).  Is there an easy to do this these days or where do I find the instructions on how to do this-I forgot how it's done.

thanks for any help friends!

Jeff

16 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Either Smart Tempo as Atlas suggested, or use Beat Mapping:

Okay -I imported the audio and set to beat map but because the song has several surprise 4/4, 3,4 and 2,4 measures the beat goes off the downbeat and I'm looking at several hours to fix this. i can slide the beat markers and enter the correct time signatures to fix the problem. i got 40 measures in and Logic will no longer play the beat markers when i move them-they seem to not be taking affect when i move them. Just to make sure I took the next beats and squished them to gether and-nope-Logic is no longer letting me edit this file. why would it do this? I'll try restarting this iMac...ugh..

2 minutes ago, jeffloven said:

Okay -I imported the audio and set to beat map but because the song has several surprise 4/4, 3,4 and 2,4 measures the beat goes off the downbeat and I'm looking at several hours to fix this. i can slide the beat markers and enter the correct time signatures to fix the problem. i got 40 measures in and Logic will no longer play the beat markers when i move them-they seem to not be taking affect when i move them. Just to make sure I took the next beats and squished them to gether and-nope-Logic is no longer letting me edit this file. why would it do this? I'll try restarting this iMac...ugh..

Yes, you have to enter the time signatures. 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that Logic will not play the beat markers when you move them? Or what do you mean by "move" a beat marker exactly? Normally the process should be left to right, you grab a beat value and drag it over a transient, that creates a tempo change, then you move right and keep doing that until you've mapped the whole file. 

Signature changes have nothing to do with beat mapping. Beat mapping changes the tempo map so the underlying pulse of the click (in quarter notes, or eights) follows the tempo changes of the music, regardless of the actual signature.

So if I'm beatmapping anything that changes signature, I start in the songs first signature and simply ignore any changes until the beat map is finished, then I add sig changes, which don't affect the tempo map.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes, you have to enter the time signatures. 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that Logic will not play the beat markers when you move them? Or what do you mean by "move" a beat marker exactly? Normally the process should be left to right, you grab a beat value and drag it over a transient, that creates a tempo change, then you move right and keep doing that until you've mapped the whole file. 

yes -grabbing the markers and moving over the correct transients but it's not making a beat noise over the marker when i move it. maybe I inadvertantly turned something on/off--have a look

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 5.23.08 PM.png

24 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Beat markers don't make any sound, do you mean the metronome?

the metronome was playing quarter notes to where i slid the markers. Now it's just chiming to it's own beat up to where I took a break and came back to work. It plays the file accurately to where I edited in the 1st 30 bars or so and after that when i slide the markers-my editing has no affect on the metronome

• Solution
32 minutes ago, jeffloven said:

I thought i was moving the beat markers and the metronome played the adjustment. is that not what's supposed to happen?

Okay-just got off phone with Apple tech support.  The beat markers WILL act up and do not always work. When this happens manipulate your tempo map with the tempo view above because Logic has a flaw in this regard. You can get into your project and random beats on the beat markers will not affect any change when you move them.  Moving up a few measures and moving beat markers does work-lol. Well that solves that.

This is remarkable on two accounts.

A) The number of pieces I have beat mapped is in the hundreds and I have never encountered this.

B) An Apple support person who actually knows Logic is a very rare find. Take good care of them and feed them well.

😆

Anyway, good to hear its fixed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

A) The number of pieces I have beat mapped is in the hundreds and I have never encountered this.

I agree, same here, I've never seen a single occasion when mapping a beat to a transient would not create a tempo change on the previous mapped beat. I'm still dubious on this - but good to hear you found a way to resolve your issue. 

11 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I agree, same here, I've never seen a single occasion when mapping a beat to a transient would not create a tempo change on the previous mapped beat. I'm still dubious on this - but good to hear you found a way to resolve your issue. 

Is there a way to do a screen share? I am able to pay for a consult if needed and have filled out the prompt on this site. Dave, it would be great to have you look at this project today and get me dialed in