How do I set up Drum Kit designer Multi-Timbral 16 parts

Logicman2

When I open a new Project and select a Software instrument, I then choose Drum Kit Designer, then Multi-Timbral up to 16 parts. Is there instructions or a video to assign to all these tracks to each of my midi drums(Image Below). I have a large electronic drum kit with 5 toms and 7 cymbals I would like to assign to each one of these tracks if its possible.

I already have a template that I made a couple of years ago using 2 producer kits and a couple of extra tracks with midi remapping. It works good. I am wondering if above can be done. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 8.18.43 AM.png

1 hour ago, JakobP said:

AFAIK, you can't run DKD as a multitimbral instrument ? Are you sure it's not a multi output instance you want ?

In image below it shows Multi Timbral. Multi output would be the producer kits right? 

32 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Wouldn't it be better to used Drum Machine Designer and assign the single pads to the MIDI Notes sent by your E-Drum Kit?

I suppose, I do like the visual editing of Drum Kit Designer

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 8.47.25 AM.png

What I mean is that there's no point in using multitimbral tracks, since the DKD isn't a multitimbal instrument.. (like e.g. Kontakt where you can have multiple instruments loaded in one plugin instance, responding to midi on discrete midi channels). DKD responds to notes on any channel the same...

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JakobP said:

What I mean is that there's no point in using multitimbral tracks, since the DKD isn't a multitimbal instrument.. (like e.g. Kontakt where you can have multiple instruments loaded in one plugin instance, responding to midi on discrete midi channels). DKD responds to notes on any channel the same...

Ok

If your goal is to have the MIDI sequences of the different drum kit pieces on their own individual tracks, then:

1. Create a single software instrument track and insert DKD.
  2. Choose Track > Other > New Track With Same Instrument as many times as you want additional tracks.
  3. Rename each track appropriately. 

I recommend you also press Option-T to configure your track headers, and select the Additional Name Column to check that all the individual drum kit pieces do route to the same instrument channel strip: 

image.png

2 hours ago, Logicman2 said:

In image below it shows Multi Timbral.

Multi Timbral means that each track created transmits to the software instrument on a different channel, which, AFAIK, does not make sense for DKD because it does not distinguish between different MIDI channels (that would also not make much sense as the single instruments of a drum kit are usually triggered by one specific MIDI note only). Nevertheless, I think what you want to do is record the separate instruments on separate tracks, which can be done with the multitimbral approach, if you set the MIDI IN channel for the multi-timbral track to the same as the MIDI out channel (assuming you're using 10.7.x, and your drum kit instruments send on separate MIDI channels).

Edited by polanoid

1 hour ago, JakobP said:

In Logic 10.7.x, you can use the "multitimbral" tracks to separately record from different MIDI channels (and/or ports) though, so e.g. the Kick lands in a different track than the Snare, provided they send on different channels/ports.

Edited by polanoid

23 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Multi Timbral means that each track created transmits to the software instrument on a different channel, which, AFAIK, does not make sense for DKD because it does not distinguish between different MIDI channels (that would also not make much sense as the single instruments of a drum kit are usually triggered by one specific MIDI note only). Nevertheless, I think what you want to do is record the separate instruments on separate tracks, which can be done with the multitimbral approach, if you set the MIDI IN channel for the multi-timbral track to the same as the MIDI out channel (assuming you're using 10.7.x, and your drum kit instruments send on separate MIDI channels).

If I do it this way, would I have to enable record on each track? or do I make a summing track stack? I am a drummer, I use an electronic kit that has 5 toms, Snare, Bass Drum, 4 crashes, China, Splash, Ride, and HiHat. If this was your setup, how would you map it in Logic? I thought about EZDrummer 3, but I do like the sounds of Drum Kit Designer? Or should I ask this in a new post?

4 minutes ago, Logicman2 said:

If this was your setup, how would you map it in Logic?

Personally, I would simply record on one track, i.e. create one SI track, e.g. with Drum Kit Designer, and start recording ;) (after, if necessary, changing the output MIDI notes on my drum kit interface so they trigger the correct sound of course)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Personally, I would simply record on one track, i.e. create one SI track, e.g. with Drum Kit Designer, and start recording ;) (after, if necessary, changing the output MIDI notes on my drum kit interface so they trigger the correct sound of course)

That is an option for recording. But I am wanting to hear each drum and cymbal when I practice as well. I record stuff when I am practicing as well.

8 minutes ago, polanoid said:

I don't understand why this wouldn't be possible on a single, record-enabled track.

Are you talking about 1 track with Drum Kit Designer Plug In? Cause Drum Kit Designer is a 5 piece kit and my kit is twice the size. It will only trigger the 5 piece kit and the extra drums and cymbals don't trigger anything.

Edited by Logicman2

9 minutes ago, Logicman2 said:

Are you talking about 1 track with Drum Kit Designer Plug In? Cause Drum Kit Designer is a 5 piece kit and my kit is twice the size. It will only trigger the 5 piece kit and the extra drums and cymbal don't trigger anything.

That's not quite true, it has a lot more instruments than 5. But if the number of instruments isn't enough for you, you can put two software instrument tracks into a summing stack and record (or just practice without recording) on the stack's main track.

Edited by polanoid

10 minutes ago, polanoid said:

That's not quite true, it has a lot more instruments than 5. But if the number of instruments isn't enough for you, you can put two software instrument tracks into a summing stack and record (or just practice without recording) on the stack's main track.

I meant 5 Piece drum kit plus cymbals. My kit still has more drums and cymbals. I already have my drums midi into 4 track total. 2 DKD tracks and 2 more tracks for extra cymbal. I was trying to figure out if there was a better approach. It would be nice if DKD had the option of more drums and cymbal like EZdrummer. What is the Stacks main track? 

19 minutes ago, polanoid said:

I proposed above to put two or more software instrument tracks into one summing track stack to play all of them at once, so by "stack's main track" I meant the summing aux track of the track stack.

I mentioned, This is already how I have it set up, plus 2 more tracks and was looking to see if there was a simpler option.

15 minutes ago, polanoid said:

plus percussion (Shaker, Cowbell, Tambourine, Sticks, Claps). If you need more you should, as I already pointed out, also check out Drum Machine designer.

Am I able to assign Toms and cymbals to any of the percussion tracks?  Does Drum Machine Designer have real sounding drums like Drum Kit designer? 

Edited by Logicman2

4 hours ago, Logicman2 said:

Am I able to assign Toms and cymbals to any of the percussion tracks?  Does Drum Machine Designer have real sounding drums like Drum Kit designer? 

Have you tried using a Key Limit track parameter to limit the target notes. Into a track stack each of the kit piece could be isolated, using different DKD (or other plugin), and preserving the mixing controls (volume, pan sends, etc) in the mixer… 

That represent a more elaborated setup, but definitely more flexible…

My 2 cents…

14 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Have you tried using a Key Limit track parameter to limit the target notes. Into a track stack each of the kit piece could be isolated, using different DKD (or other plugin), and preserving the mixing controls (volume, pan sends, etc) in the mixer… 

That represent a more elaborated setup, but definitely more flexible…

My 2 cents…

No, How do I do this? The image below shows what I have. I took a producer kit and managed to input a certain tracks of a 2nd producer kit, China and Splash tracks and using SoCal as summing folder. The China and Splash tracks have a sampler on those. Thats why there are 2 overheads, 2 room As, 2 leaks and  5 toms etc. It works. If you see, the top track is  Drum Kit, It is a reassign to feed everything in the SoCal folder. If I try to bypass that and arm the SoCal track, each drum note triggers the overheads, China and splash all at the same time. I would be happy if I could get rid of the Drum Kit redirect track if possible and enable record on the SoCal track instead. Do you see a way around this?

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 5.14.04 PM.png

I’m not at the studio presently to test same...

My train of thought being that each DKD kit pieces responds to a specific note number, setting the key limit to the desired target should do the trick. I’d also try using different MIDI channel for different DKD plugin in use.

Edited by Atlas007