Exporting midi messes up score mode view

Arkadi

Hi there - for some reason, when I export the most basic quantized (on both ends) quarter note piano passage and bring it back into Logic, it changes the score visually and adds ties to 16th notes - just looks like a big mess. Totally alters the original midi. Is there a reason for this?

thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 10.38.10 PM.png

Edited by Arkadi

Of course thank you. 

Here is a screenshot of Mozart. Simple

I export it as a midi file. Then when I re-import, it changes the notation and makes the notes 16ths. In other cases it divides notes and adds ties (after I even them all out and quantize the other end)

image.thumb.png.f3c302905d27a0f240a1492bfbc98cca.pngimage.png.f1c11f09bc903d2bd5229c11498ede0a.png

The Score editor has settings that affect the way notes are displayed, such as display quantize. You may have different settings in the two different projects which explains why the notes look different, which is why I asked to see the actual project (not just a screenshot). 

Here's an example of what I mean: 

image.gif

There are two different types of quantization in Logic. One for the underlying Midi notes and another for how the score should appear ( display quantization). They are mutually independent. The benefit of this is that you can have a score look quantized (which is desirable) - while during playback you could have the un-quantized midi sound more human like and less like the score actually looks. 

If you start with the score display quantize and you want to export midi to be exactly as the score looks - Prior to doing the midi export you must ( in the score local menu) -> function->quantize->fix display note position and duration.  This will ensure the underlying midi will now match exactly what you see in the score - ( playback will also be exactly as the score is written).  Now after you do the export and re-import - it will provide the expected result. image.thumb.png.ca71bf533e75ac27bbd9aefe929b8ca2.png

Edited by volovicg
added image