swing quantize issue

Trautman

Hi

I'm quantising some multi-tracked drums, and I want to mostly preserve the drummers feel, and just tighten up the odd bit here and there.

How I would normally do this is:

.group the drums (quantise lock etc)

.choose which mic to use as my master- in this case I have a ball and biscuit mono kit mic which has loads of kick and snare and super sharp transients, so I'm slaving everything else to that.

.hard quantise to find the right swing amount (in this case 16 swing E)

.adjust the q range to tell logic to leave transients that are close enough alone ( in this case 1/192)

.back off the Q strength until it feels tight enough but still natural

Its all working fine until the last step- once i back the strength off its going nuts and applying MORE swing... not sure what I'm doing wrong, as this method has always worked for me before?

• Sad 1

Hi

no, I’ve never used groove tracks- been doing it this way for years and never encountered this issue before. I’ve always felt it was the most musical way to approach it. Is groove tracks a good option for multi mic source material?

On 6/16/2022 at 5:30 PM, Trautman said:

On reading the link it seems that groove tracks are for getting other tracks to follow the groove of a designated track?

im needing to slightly tighten up 12 tracks of phase-locked drum mics! 

Did you try it anyway?

Edited by Atlas007

On 6/16/2022 at 10:59 PM, Trautman said:

once i back the strength off its going nuts and applying MORE swing... not sure what I'm doing wrong, as this method has always worked for me before?

I was able to reproduce this behavior. It does look like a bug. With MIDI regions it behaves as expected, meaning that if I lower Q-strength then the notes move from the groove template selected in the Quantize parameter to their original position, but with audio it just gives it more swing to the point where hits are not at all close the original position with Q-strength of zero. 

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 10:50 PM, David Nahmani said:

I was able to reproduce this behavior. It does look like a bug. With MIDI regions it behaves as expected, meaning that if I lower Q-strength then the notes move from the groove template selected in the Quantize parameter to their original position, but with audio it just gives it more swing to the point where hits are not at all close the original position with Q-strength of zero. 

thanks David.  At least I'm not going mad!

any thoughts as to a workaround?

thanks