Midi latency after using side chain input in any plugin.

Kraft

Hi, 

I've recently updated from Catalina with Logic Pro 10.6.3 to Big Sur and Logic 10.7.4. 

Everything seems to be working fine so far except some annoying midi latency that I'm experiencing and would like to know if anyone has a workaround.

As soon as I use the side chain input on any plugin, logic native or third party, I can't play any midi instrument anymore without latency.

I've always been able to compose and mix as I go without any latency on buffer size 1024 and latency compensation on "All", using any side chain inputs without any problem so I'm wondering what might have happened during this update. 

The latency goes away as soon as I switch the side chain input back to internal. 

Cheers

Unfortunately there's a long-time bug with external sidechain plug-in delay compensation that Apple has released iterative fixes for over the past few updates, and one of those fixes may be the reason you're getting that latency I'm afraid.

If you can create a small Logic project file that showcases this issue with Logic native plug-ins attach it here, one of us can have a look. 

Okay quick update. This might help other people experiencing the same problem. I took David's advice and made a new session using only stock Logic plugins and instruments. Logic compressor on a Logic synth side-chained to a Logic kick. There was no latency during recording or playback. I am going to continue investigating to find out which third party plugin/software is the culprit.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 12:31 PM, David Nahmani said:

Unfortunately there's a long-time bug with external sidechain plug-in delay compensation that Apple has released iterative fixes for over the past few updates, and one of those fixes may be the reason you're getting that latency I'm afraid.

If you can create a small Logic project file that showcases this issue with Logic native plug-ins attach it here, one of us can have a look. 

Thank you David.

It looks like some users are experiencing the same problem.

I tried to create a project to attach but it seems like everything works fine when there's only stock plugins.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:01 AM, Euphorial said:

Okay quick update. This might help other people experiencing the same problem. I took David's advice and made a new session using only stock Logic plugins and instruments. Logic compressor on a Logic synth side-chained to a Logic kick. There was no latency during recording or playback. I am going to continue investigating to find out which third party plugin/software is the culprit.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. 

New session with only stock plugins and there was no latency when using the side chain input.

Any other session gets latency as soon as I use the side chan input on any plugin (stock or not). 

I'll keep investigating but If you find any solution I would be very happy to know.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Quick update on this. Things have been going quite smoothly so far but I noticed one consistent culprit and it isn't third party software. If I side chain Logic's Drum Kit Designer then there is latency on the project. In fact, I had to bounce-in-place the kick sample I was using from it and delete the Drum Kit Designer software instrument entirely. Just having it present in the session was causing latency, even if I was using a different source for the side-chain, which was very strange. I'm sure we'll eventually figure out what is really going on but I'll keep posting any updates I find.

Edited by Euphorial
added "even if I was using a different source for the side-chain

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. smh

another thing that i cant stand anymore is the delay in automation drawing.

for example. using the volume (fader) automation for bass ducking is never accurate. its never in sync.

This is the only reason i consider switching daws after 10 years of logic pro.

Edited by Dcreator

On 11/13/2022 at 8:18 AM, Dcreator said:

I have the same problem. smh

another thing that i cant stand anymore is the delay in automation drawing.

for example. using the volume (fader) automation for bass ducking is never accurate. its never in sync.

This is the only reason i consider switching daws after 10 years of logic pro.

Ah yes I have noticed that. I noticed it most when using gain automation to completely silence a track on a downbeat. I have to drag it a little bit into the next measure for it to actually end on the downbeat. I still love Logic but that's partly because I've used it since 2008 so I am used to workarounds. Seems like there are more great alternatives now than ever before.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

For what it's worth... I ran into the same issue with the EVOC 20 plugin (which is stock, of course). As soon as I connect a sidechain to it, there's latency. Doesn't matter if I sidechain from a bus or an instrument. With the same plugin but no sidechain, no latency.  This is on Logic 10.8.1.