Record enable multiple audio tracks while offline bouncing a project?

TimeForMusic
Go to solution Solved by wonshu,

When I offline bounce, if I record-enable multiple audio tracks, only the selected track remains record-enabled during the offline bounce. Is there a way to have multiple tracks be record-enabled during an offline bounce?

(My intention is to bounce the inputs of multiple audio tracks at once offline) 

I am not sure to understand the goal here.

AFAIK, bouncing is to produce an audio file from a track, a region or a project that is already in Logic. While recording (in Logic) is capturing a performance into Logic tracks.

Although complementary to one another, these are two different procedures.

Usually one would record something in Logic, and then, would proceed with bouncing same for broadcasting…

In short:

• Recording = Capturing music performance in Logic.
  • Bouncing = Printing an audio file  from what is already recorded in Logic.

I understand the goal as including the live audio stream from the inputs connected to those R-enabled audio tracks into the mix that is being bounced. However you cannot do it that way in Logic Pro. 

The workaround is to create Aux channel strips for those inputs in the Mixer (Options > Create New Auxiliary Channel Strip) and route them to your stereo out. And bounce in real time. 

Thanks for the replies all. I made a similar post about this, my intention is for printing stems offline. I should note that the method I describe does work for a single track -- if you record enable an audio track which has the input of an aux track from the project, the bounce will, essentially, bounce whatever that input is.

Sadly, while you can record-enable multiple tracks while working in a project, the moment you bounce, Logic will only keep the first selected track record-enabled. This behavior is what confuses me. 

(I understand I may also print/record the audio tracks in real time to create audio regions of the inputs. My other post goes into the complications I was facing with that). 

Edited by TimeForMusic

16 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

So bouncing the live inputs of Auxes in realtime should work for you ?

Do you mean, routing the multiple audio tracks I want to bounce offline at once to a single aux track, and then bouncing that single aux track? As a means of 'grouping' the inputs? 

I see how it would save the time of having less to bounce, but then setting up the routing would also take a bit. Still, perhaps the best workaround I can think of! 

1 hour ago, TimeForMusic said:

my intention is for printing stems offline

I'm not sure I understand but if you want to print multiple stems at once, you can do that in real time by recording the multiple R-enable tracks - not bouncing (what I mean is you R-enable the tracks and then you press Record, you don't bounce). You can't do that offline. 

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I'm not sure I understand but if you want to print multiple stems at once, you can do that in real time by recording the multiple R-enable tracks - not bouncing (what I mean is you R-enable the tracks and then you press Record, you don't bounce). You can't do that offline. 

Indeed, sadly my goal is to find a way to achieve this offline. I'm facing an issue of system overloads every time I try the method you describe, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, TimeForMusic said:

achieve this offline

Again I ask you to think about this. You attempt to record or print or bounce live inputs offline. How could this work ? You would break the time-space continuum if you succeeded and we all would have to bear the consequences, so please be careful.

7 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

Again I ask you to think about this. You attempt to record or print or bounce live inputs offline. How could this work ? You would break the time-space continuum if you succeeded and we all would have to bear the consequences, so please be careful.

Again, it works if the input of the audio track is an AUX, which is being fed other data (MIDI, prerecorded audio, etc). I understand the question though: Why not just do this with ANOTHER aux and offline bounce that, instead of an audio track? 

The benefit of the audio track is that it would at least enable David's method to work as well, should the CPU allow. 

Again, it is unfortunate that Logic can't offline bounce multiple record-enabled audio tracks at once. In essence, I am trying to find the substitute for offline bouncing several soloed AUX tracks, doing this instead with several soloed audio tracks (that again have no regions but are receiving their data from an aux input). 

Edited by TimeForMusic

I'll once more emphasize that you cannot bounce realtime live audio coming into your computer to rec-enabled tracks offline for obvious reasons, because how would you play a 4 second guitar part to a playback which whizzes by in 1.7 seconds and which you can't hear anyway ?

4 hours ago, TimeForMusic said:

if you record enable an audio track which has the input of an aux track from the project, the bounce will, essentially, bounce whatever that input is.

Can you specify 'bounce' here ?

There is the Bounce... command which is irrelevant here as it bounces the Stereo Out and does not include the input of any rec-enabled Track in either realtime- or offline-mode

Clicking on the BNCE- button of any output will create a file from whatever audio arrives there, but also does not include the input of any rec-enabled Track in either realtime- or offline-mode

Putting an empty MIDI Region on the empty, rec-enabled Track and using Bounce Region(s) in Place will create an audio file, but this will be empty as well and will not include the input of that rec-enabled Track in either realtime- or offline-mode

Trying to Bounce Track In Place will not work on an empty, rec-enabled Track

So I'm not sure how you can bounce and get the (non-live) input to that track?

Anyway, if you want to print (non-live) stems to Tracks in one go, you rec-enable the Tracks and hit Record.

If you insist on doing this offline, you route the stems not to separate audio Tracks but to separate Auxes, create Tracks for these Auxes, select these Tracks and hit File>Export>2 Tracks As Audio Files. After Exporting you need to drag these audio files from the Finder into the empty space below your existing Tracks, like this:

image.thumb.gif.872147ff12018676aa9b897a6b410354.gif

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1

• Solution

You can create summing stacks, put (empty!) regions on those and export those offline.

CAVEAT: you will have to create your whole FX AUX/BUS setup multiple times: one set of those effects for each summing group and make sure the channels inside the summing stacks all send to the correct set of FX busses. A nightmare, especially down the line when you merge or import material from one piece into the next. That's why we stay away from that.

Then you don't have to record enable anything but just export those summed auxes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fuzzfilth said:

I'll once more emphasize that you cannot bounce realtime live audio coming into your computer to rec-enabled tracks offline for obvious reasons, because how would you play a 4 second guitar part to a playback which whizzes by in 1.7 seconds and which you can't hear anyway ?

Again, I think you're missing my explanation on the setup here, or I am not being clear. You can try this yourself:

1. Create a logic project with MIDI or audio data playing into the Stereo Out.
  2. Send all that data to an aux instead of stereo out.
  3. Create an audio track. 
  4. Set the input of the audio track to the aux you created. 
  5. If you enable-record and enable input monitoring, and bounce offline, the bounce file will print the input data of that audio track (in our case, the aux). 
9 hours ago, fuzzfilth said:

Can you specify 'bounce' here ?

There is the Bounce... command which is irrelevant here as it bounces the Stereo Out and does not include the input of any rec-enabled Track in either realtime- or offline-mode

Yes, this is it. Cmd+B. Bouncing the whole project (as a .wav, .mp3, etc.)

Edited by TimeForMusic

45 minutes ago, TimeForMusic said:

Again, I think you're missing my explanation on the setup here, or I am not being clear. You can try this yourself:

1. Create a logic project with MIDI or audio data playing into the Stereo Out.
  2. Send all that data to an aux instead of stereo out.
  3. Create an audio track. 
  4. Set the input of the audio track to the aux you created. 
  5. If you enable-record and enable input monitoring, and bounce offline, the bounce file will print the input data of that audio track (in our case, the aux). 

Yes, this is it. Cmd+B. Bouncing the whole project (as a .wav, .mp3, etc.)

I believe your steps 3-5 is irrelevant, i.e., if you do the first 2 steps and then bounce (no matter offline or online), the bounce will include everything you're routing to the aux, since the aux output is set to stereo out. So the audio track isn't  really doing anything...

EDIT No need to route anything to an aux either...

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 1

I think I understand the confusion: TimeForMusic uses the "bounce" term as it used to mean in the old analog tape recording days.

I recall with the Fostex X-15 you could re-record tracks 1, 2 and 3 onto track 4, then you could record over those former tracks (1, 2 & 3) again for a bigger mix; that was yielding an increased total number of tracks available to record further on. That procedure was then called “bouncing" tracks; a term that was describing appropriately what was happening.

Nowadays, the tracking workflow has evolved and render that old procedure kind of pointless for obvious reasons. However, it seems that the "bounce" term was carried over (for good or bad reasons)…

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wonshu said:

TimeForMusic should try out my solution as I think that will do what he wants to achieve. If I understood correctly..

Indeed, hoping to get around to testing it because your method does sound ideal... if it is possible to export empty aux regions offline which will 'carry' the data of the aux with the export. That would indeed be the fastest, if you could just select multiple empty AUX regions at once, and with a click, export them all to audio files offline. 

The question is if those empty regions will actually export something, or remain 'empty'. 

You will have to use the "Export selected regions" command instead of the bounce command.

And please make sure that your FX busses and sends are duplicated and routed correctly, otherwise all stems will contain the FX part of the signal of all tracks.

Edited by wonshu

20 hours ago, wonshu said:

You can create summing stacks, put (empty!) regions on those and export those offline.

@wonshu, I was just able to test this, and this is exactly what I wanted to achieve! thank you. Your solution works perfectly. 

For the others, I apologize if there was any confusion behind what I was after! 

Edited by TimeForMusic
  • Like 2