Find projects that use XYZ plugin

Danny Wyatt

2 hours ago, polanoid said:

How do I switch this off? The -h option doesn't seem to want to tell me ;) !? The colouring ruins the output into a simple ASCII text file

Was going to reply to your PM to tell you I'll probably add an option to do this for your use case. While you wait for me to do that, at the top of the script you can change:

$colour_mode = true;

to

$colour_mode = false;

(Edit: 0.57 is up now which includes -l as an option to turn off colouring the output, as well as some other minor fixes.)

2 hours ago, polanoid said:

Did anyone notice that the plug-in ID's for Apple's Drum Kit Designer and Quick Sampler seem to be the abbreviated versions of "Animal" and "Parrot", respectively?

I've seen quite a few slightly amusing ID's so far. I knew Drummer was codenamed Animal already. I didn't really twig PRRT...

Edited by des99

0.61 is up for testers. Apart from some minor things, the main changes:-

• Has an included manufacturer list which can help cleanup manufacturer names and improve search matches in some cases, if a match is found in there
  • Implements -w option to write plugin reports next to the project. Files are named PROJECTNAME_plugin_report.txt and contain the results as displayed according to your chosen options
  • Implements -x option to clean report files - this will delete any matching plugin report files found and is an easy way to remove them in one go rather than deleting them manually
  • Searches can use regular expression syntax, so you can search for eg "ssl|brainworx" which will search for either ssl or brainworx (as a simple example)

*Note: The is the first version that can write and delete (text) files from your filesystem, and is still a test version - so I suggest running it on test copies of your projects/project folders. I've run it on my overall Logic folders and it seems good here (and it's very useful storing a text copy of the plugin report alongside the project). I only ever create a text file per project named accordingly in write mode, and only delete that specific named text file in clean mode, so there shouldn't be any problems, but I still suggest testing it on datasets where should some unexpected behaviour occur you won't lose anything important, when doing any filesystem operations.

I think that's pretty much all the features I plan to implement for this php version, otherwise we start getting into option overload. There's quite a few more useful features in the list, but better saved for a proper app.

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, noisyneil said:

Seems like you're done with adding features. The one thing I'd like is to be able to tell which plugins have not yet been recategorised.

This tool is specifically to show you plugins in projects - I haven't added in plugin manager features or a lot of other features which could be added in a more full-featured app.

What you are after, If I'm understanding you correctly, is a different tool that lists plugins on your system that don't have one or more tags in Project Manager (and nothing to do with reading Logic projects as such, as plugin manager tags are global, not project specific). You probably want to summarise the data from Plugin Manager too, I guess.

This is doable, I just haven't added it to this tool, as this one is specifically for reporting plugins in projects - there are many other Logic related tools along these lines in my possible project list, and maybe ultimately (which was really my destination) to end up with a more full-featured Mac app that combines a lot of these tools wrapped in a nice interface.

If someone were to make sure a tool, can you describe more precisely what the use case is, what you'd like to see and be able do, just so I'm understanding your needs correctly...

25 minutes ago, des99 said:

This tool is specifically to show you plugins in projects

Understood. Just wanted to flag my interest in that feature for the future and leave it open for anyone who knows how to access that information to chime in. 

I described my use-case here: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/topic/142769-find-projects-that-use-xyz-plugin/?do=findComment&comment=827601

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 2:09 PM, des99 said:

I'll have a look...

Edit: Ok, sent you a PM with a quick and dirty version for you.

Hey! Would you be able to publicly share what you have so far?
I'm finally going through my old projects and would like to give this a try

Thanks

Edited by Danny Wyatt

19 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

Hey! Would you be able to publicly share what you have so far?
I'm finally going through my old projects and would like to give this a try

That one was a quick and dirty tool specifically for Neil's use case, it wasn't really intended to be publicly shared in that form. The plan would be to develop into additional tools for the Plugin Manager as part of the this set of Logic related plugin tools...

As for the plugin reporter, I haven't done anything further on this as yet - you probably already have the most recent version, which should still be up at the same download link - Speakerfood contacted me about possibly doing a Mac version of it, but he didn't reply to my PM so I'm not sure what's going on there, or whether I should do the Mac version as originally intended. (I kinda wanted to, as it would be a nice little project to teach myself Swift and SwiftUI...)

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 2:06 AM, noisyneil said:

did you see my messages? I got the macros to a pretty good state. Love to know what you think. 

I haven't looked at this any further so far, but good to see you got them working! 👍

Edited by des99

1 hour ago, des99 said:

That one was a quick and dirty tool specifically for Neil's use case, it wasn't really intended to be publicly shared in that form

I was referring to the Plugin Reporter you created. The version I have is 0.53

I was using that one today and noticed some things that seem confusing. For example I have a project that uses the AUPitch and even though the plugin is activated, the PR says it's not installed:

image.png.2d6f375151cde660ed5e563308a75862.png

I was using a Short Name for that plugin (just "Pitch"). I removed that short name, but same issue. Do you think this could be the issue and it just didn't update it yet? Not a big deal, because I was using it more to find projects with 2 third-party plugins that I want to uninstall and that project where that error is loads without issues. Just wondering if you know what's causing it? The same happened with MIDIFreeze, which is also installed, but PR says it's not.

1 hour ago, des99 said:

Speakerfood contacted me about possibly doing a Mac version of it, but he didn't reply to my PM so I'm not sure what's going on there, or whether I should do the Mac version as originally intended. (I kinda wanted to, as it would be a nice little project to teach myself Swift and SwiftUI.

Sounds good. For now I was able to use it for what I was initially needed it for, but I will keep this simple version, because it's working.

@des99 Question: would it be super complex to make the program automatically create .txt files for each project as individual reports and save them inside the lrep folder, maybe a "Reports" folder?

I'm in the process of cleaning all my projects and having those individual reports would be easier to keep everything in place, for example, if I want to just have the .txt report file next to the Logic project instead of a global report.

If it's simple enough and you don't mind sharing it, that would be awesome. If not, that's ok. This is already a good tool that saved me a lot of time and work ;)

15 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

I was using that one today and noticed some things that seem confusing. For example I have a project that uses the AUPitch and even though the plugin is activated, the PR says it's not installed:

Thanks - this is why these beta versions were distributed for people to test on their systems to find issues and let me know so I can look into them etc. I'll have a look into the AUPitch thing (it might be the name is not matching or being reported properly - I'll have a look)...

I might need your lrep plugin cache file to see how your plugins are being reported on your system, but I'll have a look locally first to see if there's anything obvious going on...

15 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

The same happened with MIDIFreeze, which is also installed, but PR says it's not.

I don't have that one, do you have a link to this?

Edited by des99

6 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

Question: would it be super complex to make the program automatically create .txt files for each project as individual reports and save them inside the lrep folder, maybe a "Reports" folder?

I'm in the process of cleaning all my projects and having those individual reports would be easier to keep everything in place, for example, if I want to just have the .txt report file next to the Logic project instead of a global report.

If you wanted to have the .txt report file next to the Logic project, that's exactly what is implemented. If you run a report across a folder of projects, and specify to create reports, there will be a report file named for each project placed alongside it in the project folder, directly where it's applicable to the project next to it..

If you want all of the reports placed in one folder, that's a bit more complex, because you might have multiple projects with the same name, so you'll end up with reports by name and you won't know which project file they correspond to, of where they may be located, so this doesn't make sense, and I didn't implement this for this reason.

Edited by des99

25 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

The version I have is 0.53

I've just noticed you haven't updated your version from when you first downloaded it.

Please use the current version on the download link. That version is 0.61c and try again, there were changes made in the plugin handling and matching based on tester feedback.

14 minutes ago, des99 said:

If you wanted to have the .txt report file next to the Logic project, that's exactly what is implemented. If you run a report across a folder of projects, and specify to create reports, there will be a report file named for each project placed alongside it in the project folder, directly where it's applicable to the project next to it..

I'm not getting those files, maybe because I'm now using Packages instead of Folders? If so, how can the code work to create the txt file next to the package?

16 minutes ago, des99 said:

because you might have multiple projects with the same name

For my particular case, I don't have duplicates, but I see what you mean. Maybe a work around would be to add something unique about the file's name at the end, such as the creation date? Or even the path? Just a suggestion.

6 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

I'm not getting those files, maybe because I'm now using Packages instead of Folders? If so, how can the code work to create the txt file next to the package?

You're using an early version of beta software that was evolving and having features added. Please update your beta copy to the current version before reporting issues, as otherwise you may just be reporting issues that have already changed, or have been fixed.

If you want to see just the reports in one place, you can always use a saved finder search to quickly and easily show all the report files across your file system under a particular folder - that way you get the best of being able to see them all at once, but also retaining their location and therefore the project file they belong to. And if you want to copy them to another folder for backup, you can do that (though you'll need to take care of filename collisions, of course.)

Edited by des99

27 minutes ago, des99 said:

I might need your lrep plugin cache file to see how your plugins are being reported on your system

This?

aumu Axhg ADSR  -  ADSR: ADSR Sample Manager
aumf Atb5 Ikmm  -  IK Multimedia: AmpliTube 5
aumf sba2 Sbar  -  Sugar Bytes: Artillery2
aumu Brin Brin  -  Thenatan: Brain
aufx Mmal Klev  -  Klevgrand: Brusfri
aufx Jdox Chow  -  chowdsp: CHOWTapeModel
aumf DcnF Dstr  -  DISTRHO: CardinalFX
aumu DcnS Dstr  -  DISTRHO: CardinalSynth
aumi Chjm Aumd  -  Audiomodern: Chordjam
aufx imuc Vxng  -  Voxengo: Correlometer
aumu Nr8v XFER  -  Xfer Records: Cthulhu
aumi Nr8v XFER  -  Xfer Records: Cthulhu
---- ---- ----  -  TBProAudio: DSEQ
---- ---- ----  -  TBProAudio: DSEQMono
aumu EZks Toon  -  Toontrack: EZkeys
aufx Emgc Dani  -  Daniel Gergely: Emergence
aumu FB31 FuBu  -  Full Bucket Music: FB-3100
aumu FB32 FuBu  -  Full Bucket Music: FB-3200
aumu fb33 FuBu  -  Full Bucket Music: FB-3300
aufx Flts Aumd  -  Audiomodern: Filterstep
aumu f800 FuBu  -  Full Bucket Music: Fury800
aufx Gtlb Aumd  -  Audiomodern: Gatelab
aumi Hy49 HYhy  -  HY-Plugins: HY-SEQ32 free
aufx CHT1 Cabl  -  Cableguys: HalfTime
aumu Hatz Hatz  -  Thenatan: Hatz
aumf f*%@ DvMc  -  Devious Machines: Infiltrator
aumf XffO XFER  -  Xfer Records: LFOTool
aumi XffO XFER  -  Xfer Records: LFOTool
aumu LCDR LOMA  -  Loopmasters: Loopcloud Drum
aumu LCPL LOMA  -  Loopmasters: Loopcloud Play
aumu LCLD looP  -  Loopmasters: Loopcloud
aumf sblo Sbar  -  Sugar Bytes: Looperator
aumf MPLG CLMY  -  Celemony: Melodyne
aumu 1416 FuBu  -  Full Bucket Music: MonoFury
aumf APan Aumd  -  Audiomodern: Panflow
aumu Plb3 Aumd  -  Audiomodern: Playbeat 3
---- ---- ----  -  fullbucket: Ragnarok
aumu ARgp Accu  -  accusonus: Regroover Pro
aumi Riff Aumd  -  Audiomodern: Riffer
aumi RpCh TkBt  -  Trackbout: Ripchord
aufx 4vo6 Vxng  -  Voxengo: SPAN
aumu Scl2 eMai  -  Plugin Boutique: Scaler 2
aumf Sc2r eMai  -  Plugin Boutique: ScalerAudio 2
aumi S2lc eMai  -  Plugin Boutique: ScalerControl 2
aumu kp30 FuBu  -  Full Bucket Music: Stigma
aumu Tapx Tapx  -  Thenatan: Tapex2
aumu Tri3 FuBu  -  Full Bucket Music: Tricent
aumf uaBY UnAu  -  Plugin Alliance: Unfiltered Audio Byome
aumf uaS2 UnAu  -  Plugin Alliance: Unfiltered Audio Sandman Pro
aumf uASi UnAu  -  Plugin Alliance: Unfiltered Audio Silo
aumf uaTR UnAu  -  Plugin Alliance: Unfiltered Audio Triad
aufx uALo UnAu  -  Plugin Alliance: Unfiltered Audio lo-fi-af
aumu Unfy Kuhl  -  PlugInGuru: Unify
aufx sMas oDin  -  Valhalla DSP, LLC: ValhallaSupermassive
aufx Vybz Vybz  -  Thenatan: Vybz
aufx PvWr PLVR  -  Infected Mushroom: Wider
aufx PvWr PLVR  -  Infected Mushroom: Wider
aufx Vnyl iZtp  -  iZotope: Vinyl
aufx Pjfj Manu  -  Smartelectronix: s(M)exoscope

10 minutes ago, des99 said:

Please use the current version on the download link. That version is 0.61c and try again, there were changes made in the plugin handling and matching based on tester feedback.

Downloaded it and testing it now

29 minutes ago, des99 said:

I don't have that one, do you have a link to this?

I know what's happening. Remember a few days ago when we were talking about the AU3 version of plugins that don't show up inside the Components folder? This is the one. I guess that's why?

5 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

I know what's happening. Remember a few days ago when we were talking about the AU3 version of plugins that don't show up inside the Components folder? This is the one. I guess that's why?

Ok yes, very probably. AU3 plugins are not standard plugins stored in the components folder, but instead are stored within applications and handled differently. So there will be no matching happening as there will not be an entry found for it...

So for now, any AU3 plugins in the project will be noted, but not matched (and thus incorrectly reported as "not installed"). I'm not sure offhand there's an easy way to handle that, short of hardcoding in the AU3 plugins we know of, which isn't a great solution. With a Mac app, it might be possible to query the system plugins to get the info, rather than the methods I'm using now, so that's something for the wishlist for later, perhaps.

Edited by des99

5 minutes ago, des99 said:

You're using an early version of beta software that was evolving and having features added. Please update your beta copy to the current version before reporting issues, as otherwise you may just be reporting issues that have already changed, or have been fixed.

I just updated and I'm still not getting the txt files:

image.png.1e864a0d2a0500e8b9fcf9367ebda3f7.png

image.png.cd7d3a8d991373a1d57b037b222a89b7.png

Just now, des99 said:

So there will be no matching happening as there will not be an entry found for it...

As long as it's showing in the report, that's already a good thing. No problem

1 minute ago, des99 said:

so that's something for the wishlist for later, perhaps.

Sounds good!

3 minutes ago, des99 said:

Are you sure you are correctly specifying the report option, as documented in the help text?

Never mind. I was looking at the old instructions. Didn't know that that file was also updated. I was using just the -f option. Will try the -w -f now

Edited by Danny Wyatt