Find projects that use XYZ plugin

Danny Wyatt

2 hours ago, polanoid said:

How do I switch this off? The -h option doesn't seem to want to tell me ;) !? The colouring ruins the output into a simple ASCII text file

Was going to reply to your PM to tell you I'll probably add an option to do this for your use case. While you wait for me to do that, at the top of the script you can change:

$colour_mode = true;

to

$colour_mode = false;

(Edit: 0.57 is up now which includes -l as an option to turn off colouring the output, as well as some other minor fixes.)

2 hours ago, polanoid said:

Did anyone notice that the plug-in ID's for Apple's Drum Kit Designer and Quick Sampler seem to be the abbreviated versions of "Animal" and "Parrot", respectively?

I've seen quite a few slightly amusing ID's so far. I knew Drummer was codenamed Animal already. I didn't really twig PRRT...

Edited by des99

mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio | Legacy Logic Project Conversion | Logic 10.7.4, MBP 16" M1pro

47 minutes ago, des99 said:

0.57 is up now which includes -l as an option to turn off colouring the output

cool, thanks

• Like 1

MacBook Pro 16'' 2019, 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 / macOS Monterey 12.4 / Logic 10.7.4

0.61 is up for testers. Apart from some minor things, the main changes:-

• Has an included manufacturer list which can help cleanup manufacturer names and improve search matches in some cases, if a match is found in there
  • Implements -w option to write plugin reports next to the project. Files are named PROJECTNAME_plugin_report.txt and contain the results as displayed according to your chosen options
  • Implements -x option to clean report files - this will delete any matching plugin report files found and is an easy way to remove them in one go rather than deleting them manually
  • Searches can use regular expression syntax, so you can search for eg "ssl|brainworx" which will search for either ssl or brainworx (as a simple example)

*Note: The is the first version that can write and delete (text) files from your filesystem, and is still a test version - so I suggest running it on test copies of your projects/project folders. I've run it on my overall Logic folders and it seems good here (and it's very useful storing a text copy of the plugin report alongside the project). I only ever create a text file per project named accordingly in write mode, and only delete that specific named text file in clean mode, so there shouldn't be any problems, but I still suggest testing it on datasets where should some unexpected behaviour occur you won't lose anything important, when doing any filesystem operations.

I think that's pretty much all the features I plan to implement for this php version, otherwise we start getting into option overload. There's quite a few more useful features in the list, but better saved for a proper app.

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio | Legacy Logic Project Conversion | Logic 10.7.4, MBP 16" M1pro

Seems like you're done with adding features. The one thing I'd like is to be able to tell which plugins have not yet been recategorised. If anyone knows another way to do this, please let me know! 

Logic Pro 10.6.3 - 16" Macbook Pro - 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 - 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - UA Apollo 8P

4 minutes ago, noisyneil said:

Seems like you're done with adding features. The one thing I'd like is to be able to tell which plugins have not yet been recategorised.

This tool is specifically to show you plugins in projects - I haven't added in plugin manager features or a lot of other features which could be added in a more full-featured app.

What you are after, If I'm understanding you correctly, is a different tool that lists plugins on your system that don't have one or more tags in Project Manager (and nothing to do with reading Logic projects as such, as plugin manager tags are global, not project specific). You probably want to summarise the data from Plugin Manager too, I guess.

This is doable, I just haven't added it to this tool, as this one is specifically for reporting plugins in projects - there are many other Logic related tools along these lines in my possible project list, and maybe ultimately (which was really my destination) to end up with a more full-featured Mac app that combines a lot of these tools wrapped in a nice interface.

If someone were to make sure a tool, can you describe more precisely what the use case is, what you'd like to see and be able do, just so I'm understanding your needs correctly...

25 minutes ago, des99 said:

This tool is specifically to show you plugins in projects

Understood. Just wanted to flag my interest in that feature for the future and leave it open for anyone who knows how to access that information to chime in. 

I described my use-case here: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/topic/142769-find-projects-that-use-xyz-plugin/?do=findComment&comment=827601

• Like 1

Logic Pro 10.6.3 - 16" Macbook Pro - 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 - 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - UA Apollo 8P

• 2 weeks later...

@des99 did you see my messages? I got the macros to a pretty good state. Love to know what you think.