Find projects that use XYZ plugin

Danny Wyatt

Oh crap, sorry, too many PM threads - my bad! Sorry not really on form right now....

I've resent the first message from the other PM thread we had, called "Logic Info - Test version", in case you'd deleted those PM's too.

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

This update has simplified my macro significantly... All working nicely with one exception, which might be the result of my forgetting something:

Single project selected: works great

Multiple projects selected: works great

Folder selected: I get the following:

Logic Project Reporter v0.66

Options set: (Report mode) (Exclude Logic plugins) 

Getting installed plugins... (AUVal version: 1.10.0 - quick scan) Done.

(Sorry, I can't format code on the forum for some reason.)

Hmm, it seems to work ok when I pass a single folder here.

What errors are you seeing, and what complete folder path are you passing?

Note you can insert unformatted text (code etc) using the "CODE" tags (they look like <> in the post toolbar, to the left of the smileys).

Just noticed that it works fine for folder paths without spaces, but even with spaces escaped it fails. Here's an example path that fails:

/Users/noisyneil/Desktop/TEST\ FOLDER

The space escaping works fine on projects, but doesn't seem to like folders for some reason, and I just get the response above:

1 hour ago, noisyneil said:

Logic Project Reporter v0.66

Options set: (Report mode) (Exclude Logic plugins) 

Getting installed plugins... (AUVal version: 1.10.0 - quick scan) Done.

9 minutes ago, des99 said:

you can insert unformatted text (code etc) using the "CODE" tags

Yeah, I've been chatting with David about this; seems to be an issue with Brave Browser, as the code tags are missing. Fine on Safari. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by noisyneil

4 minutes ago, noisyneil said:

Just noticed that it works fine for folder paths without spaces, but even with spaces escaped it fails.

Yes, I had just spotted that and came back to ask whether you had spaces in the passed folder. I'm looking at it. 👍

Note: You don't need to escape spaces in folder paths, you need to quote a single folder.
Escaping spaces is only necessary with multiple files, because spaces are used as file delimiters, and there is no easy way of figuring out whether any given space is a delimiter or part of a filename.

Edited by des99

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So, bit of an update on this. It's been a bit of a crappy 2024 for me so far, beginning with Covid on New Years Day (not my fault, a visiting nurse took out my entire family), and then further health issues from there meaning I've not really been able to do any work at all - so in the midst of all that, on a Covid comedown and before it got too painful to be upright for more than a few minutes, I decided to play with and hack up some things with a language I don't know, and a framework I also don't know, to see how feasible it would be to develop a proper Mac version of lrep.

Considering the really slow pace I've been limited to, I'm quite pleased with how it's going. I've still got quite a bit of stuff to do, but the core stuff of loading and parsing the Logic projects is all working well. I'm really beginning to like Swift and SwiftUI.

SCR-20240203-tgro.png.595fdc41fd8e9adf956eeaf7c1908ecc.png

I'll be implementing the rest of the stuff as I go, and improving the UI etc, and when I have something shareable I'll ask for testers to give it a spin - but I'm not there yet, and there's no point in asking when. Just wanted to show some progress on this... 👍

It's possible I'll be building this out with more Logic-related tools over time, we'll see...

• Like 3
  • Love 3

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have an initial test version of the Mac version of lrep for people to check out.

lrep's purpose is to show you the plugins used in your Logic projects. This means you can do things such as:

- see whether any plugins used in a project are not currently uninstalled on your system
- see which projects in a given folder use a particular plugin or search, eg, "SSL" plugins
- create a text file to archive with the project that will tell you or others what plugins are required for that project
- lets you run searches like:
    - show me which projects on my drive use a particular plugin, or a manufacturer's plugins
    - show me which projects on my drive *don't* use a particular plugin
    - show me which projects on my drive require plugins I don't currently have installed

The search field will let you enter regular expressions for more advanced searches, if you're familiar with those, but most people will likely be fine with straight text searches.

lrep.thumb.png.e52b82bf76d1bc9956e36e3f05284fc7.png

It should be mostly pretty straightforward and self-explanatory, especially if you used the earlier prototype version - it's just a lot easier and nicer to use. You can drag/drop Logic projects and/or folders to the UI to process them (or use File -> New Report, or drag/drop to the app icon), and when there are multiple projects in the results you can move between them with the up/down cursor keys.

Note: lrep requires macOS Ventura 13.0 or later, Intel or ARM

Not currently implemented yet:

- Writing project report files (as per the original version) or saving out the overall report
- Handling multiple project alternates per project

Known issues:

- In the Settings, there's a display redraw issue when switching back to a "System" appearance when you were in a different appearance mode - open windows won't correctly update the theme - this is a SwiftUI bug that I (and others experiencing it) haven't found a workaround for yet. Clicking on any open windows will redraw them correctly, or just switch to the current theme before switching back to "System" will avoid the issue.

Please PM me if you want to test, with your system specs and MacOS version etc.

I'm particularly interested in any mis-identified plugins or weird data and plugins in projects not found, as well as more general issues.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, noisyneil said:

The only thing missing that my KM version will still be needed for it to list plugins that have not yet been categorised in Logic's Plugin Manager.

I may well be adding tools to this over time (there's a bunch of things on my list), so don't rule it out... 😉

• Love 1

It might be possible to support Monterey, but it takes more work as more things have to be implemented differently. I've had one report that it's currently not working that well under Ventura*, despite being built for it, so I need to set up a test system to run it on here and check that out. After the initial release, I'll continue to investigate supporting further back, but the effort goes up the more you go back, so at some point it becomes too much of a development burden...

Edit: Updated version issued with Ventura and a few other fixes.

2 minutes ago, des99 said:

It might be possible to support Monterey, but it takes more work as more things have to be implemented differently. I've had one report that it's currently not working that well under Ventura, despite being built for it, so I need to set up a test system to run it on here and check that out. After the initial release, I'll continue to investigate supporting further back, but the effort goes up the more you go back, so at some point it becomes too much of a development burden...

I understand,

Thanx for taking the time to reply!

I guess that’s an additional incentive for me to upgrade…

• Like 1

lrep 0.90 has just been posted for testers.

Update notes: 0.90
    + Projects are sorted by name in the list
    + Projects are now grouped and broken out by folder
    + Added report writing
    + Misc small improvements
    + Plugin manufacturer list updates

Notes on writing reports:

If you check "Write report files" and then run a report, report files will be written as text files next to each project processed with the same name as the project with "_plugin_report.txt" appended to the file name. So, eg, "lexicon224_demo.logicx" will get a file next to it called "lexicon224_demo_plugin_report.txt"

If you've already run a report and there are projects displayed in the GUI, checking "Write report files" will prompt you to write reports for all those projects.

Reports will be written for all processed projects, including any hidden ones (as hiding projects is mostly for clarity of display), and they will be written as per the simple display mode, largely as it's more or less impossible to line up multiple columns of text in a text file with proportional fonts, and the extra data like plugin ID's is mostly not required for archival use. Report files will respect the "Include Logic plugins" setting, but are always the full report and don't respect any searches or "show only uninstalled" settings.

Due to macOS sandboxing constraints, the app is not free to write all over your filesystem. The app has sandbox permissions to write to ~/Documents and ~/Music (which is where Logic wants to save projects by default), so if you are running reports on project files in those folders, report writing will be seamless and quick as it was in the original prototype version.

If however you have projects saved elsewhere - like your desktop, external volumes etc - and you ask lrep to write reports for those, a sandbox requirement means a save files dialog will be presented for anything the app doesn't have permission for, and you must explicitly select save (ie, press return) to confirm your permission to write that file. (You shouldn't change the save filename, or navigate to a new folder, as the save will fail and you'll be re-prompted - report files always have the prompted file name in the same location as the project). Cancelling a save will skip writing that report. From then on in that session, lrep won't need to ask again to save/update those files it has explicit user permission to write.

This means running bulk report writing for many projects saved outside those sandboxed paths mentioned above might get tedious if you're prompted to save each one, and is not therefore recommended. (Although it's literally only a press of return needed for each, it's not too onerous.)

The totals of how many files were written, and how many weren't written, is displayed in the footer bar. (I didn't think it was really worth updating each project in the list with it's report saved state as it's more visual clutter, but do let me know if you feel differently.)

Extra note: I've tried very hard to make sure nothing bad will happen when writing files, like overwriting your project files with a misnamed report file etc, but as this is beta software and is the first version that can write to your system, during testing I suggest/recommend you run it on copies of important data/projects.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

lrep 0.91 has just been posted for testers.

SCR-20240308-mebj.thumb.png.65a96a7af356fd777d28dfebcfdd3b01.png

Update notes: 0.91
    + Fixed crashes using Open in Logic on Ventura
    + Open in Logic now checks for default installed Logic app and uses that.
       If Logic is not found on system, the file won't be opened.
    + Fixed plugin matching on early format projects
    + Improved plugin matching
    + Now processes the active project alternate by default, instead of always the first one
    + Now displays Logic version the project was saved in
    + Now displays window image of project if available
    + Pressing Space will display the selected project's window image in Quicklook 
    + Now only displays folder headings if there are projects from multiple different folders

Edit: Oops, I seem to have a little pesky crash I've introduced to sort out.
Update: I've uploaded the fixed version - sorry about that!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Tiago Rocha said:

I guess you will not have a Catalina version?

I spent a week getting it running on Monterey, and abandoned that as there were too many SwiftUI issues which wouldn't let me implement the app as I'd like. While Catalina is the first OS to support SwiftUI, it's pretty patchy back then, so that's definitely a no-go.

We'll see how things go - and some point it's possible (depending on interest) I might rebuild the front end in AppKit and thus be able to support earlier systems, but not right now. For now, I'm focused on getting this to the finish line in it's current form.

(I didn't really plan on making the app this way, it was really a Covid tech exploration and learning exercise that blossomed into a full app as development was pretty nice, and I learned a lot.)

• Like 2

lrep 0.93 has just been posted for testers.

Update notes: 0.93
    + Fixed handling of projects with non-sequential project alternates
    + Fixed cursor up/down scrolling to next/prev projects in Ventura
    + Fixed missing row separators on Ventura
    + Quicklook no longer reopens when closed with Space on Ventura
    + Multiple files dropped on app icon now handled correctly as a batch
    + Quicklook now updates if open when you change which project is selected (eg with cursor keys)
    + Project list is scrolled/reset to the top of the list when any filter options are changed

• Love 1