Logic Pro randomly changes instruments, shifted everything

ThomasCheung

I was working on a really nice track today, As you've said in many other times "don't open multiple project files". This time I only had one project file running, but when I went downstairs to get a drink I came back to my project file acting weirdly. e.g logic pros stock drummer track was playing as my bass guitar which is weird as it was showing audio on the region yet the bass guitar would still play. 

I use the newest logic pro update, with the newest MacOS

It's as if my whole project file has been shifted, I also did not use the "]" command either.

This is really bugging me off, I love logic pro, but I find that it's full of so many bugs and im not sure whether I should either switch to another DAW or get an older version.

4 hours ago, ThomasCheung said:

I use the newest logic pro update, with the newest MacOS

Being more specific is preferable especially when troubleshooting or trying to solve an issue. Within few days one could guess but in a few weeks things could change and render the post and its replies misleading...

What you describe looks like a project corruption or a prank. Do you have cat(s) at home?

Hi Atlas,

I wouldn’t say it’s a prank, I would say the whole project is corrupted.
For example a VST channel has now turned into my reverb bus although the positioning of the regions stay the same the instruments and routing of busses has all been switched around.

42 minutes ago, ThomasCheung said:

Is there a way to prevent it? Should I get an older version of Logic Pro?

You need to figure out what triggers it and avoid doing that. I've personally experienced that only with multiple projects opened simultaneously, and since I've religiously stayed away from doing that I've never experienced it again. 

I know that other actions have been reported to trigger that kind of behavior as well (see this in case that helps you figure out which actions may have triggered it in your situation) but I haven't personally experienced this. 

• Like 2

Thanks both,

Yes the routing of everything has changed, but the regions have stayed the same.

It's hard to find the cause because I left my computer for 15 minutes to have some food and then when I came back the logic drummer was playing weirdly, then I realised it was somehow playing bass midi notes even though the drummer track is audio.

My electric bass vst went from roland to kontakt (my electric guitar vst) and the bus strips of that kontakt guitar followed onto the electric bass track. This muddled everything up

After saving out a copy to a new project file of the last state of the project, can you revert to a previously saved backup version? You might at least be able to recover most of the work, and rebuild anything extra from the last corrupted version...

These kind of corruption or data loss problems are awful, but like David, I've never experienced it thankfully enough...

Hi des99,

Unfortunately I only saved the project at the beginning meaning when I tried to revert to an earlier version it would take me to the barebones of this project.

Even when importing project, the tracks are still somewhat corrupted.

I was hoping there's a way to check through my finder autosaved versions of that project still stored as it only shows the versions I've saved, but surely there's a way to find all the history of logic projects in finder which are autosaved?

18 minutes ago, ThomasCheung said:

I was hoping there's a way to check through my finder autosaved versions of that project still stored as it only shows the versions I've saved, but surely there's a way to find all the history of logic projects in finder which are autosaved?

Logic doesn’t keep any autosaved versions. The autosave data will be deleted every time you do a regular save or quit Logic without saving 

• 5 months later...

Hello, I'm just stopping by to say I'm having the same issue. I'm not sure what's triggering it, it happens so suddenly. I'm on a new mac studio, monterey 12.5, and logic pro 10.7.5

anybody find a fix?

-edit-

ok- it seems to happen when I hit undo. one project open. recording midi drums using one of the logic default kits ("above and beyond" in this case). messed up on a part, hit undo to redo it, everything shifted. i think it happens regardless of kit though...

further edits- 

-i didn't import any movie file, and i'm not using any channel strip settings except for stock logic. there are a few 3rd party instruments and plugins

Edited by ncalonne

15 hours ago, ncalonne said:

Hello, I'm just stopping by to say I'm having the same issue. I'm not sure what's triggering it, it happens so suddenly. I'm on a new mac studio, monterey 12.5, and logic pro 10.7.5

anybody find a fix?

-edit-

ok- it seems to happen when I hit undo. one project open. recording midi drums using one of the logic default kits ("above and beyond" in this case). messed up on a part, hit undo to redo it, everything shifted. i think it happens regardless of kit though...

further edits- 

-i didn't import any movie file, and i'm not using any channel strip settings except for stock logic. there are a few 3rd party instruments and plugins

What are your settings for overlapping MIDI recordings (and did you do overlapping recordings)? I am able to reproduce this using Create Tracks, doing an overlapping recording (so that a new track is created) and then undoing that.

On 12/18/2022 at 9:14 AM, polanoid said:

What are your settings for overlapping MIDI recordings (and did you do overlapping recordings)? I am able to reproduce this using Create Tracks, doing an overlapping recording (so that a new track is created) and then undoing that.

Hi, 484077751_ScreenShot2022-12-19at14_29_10.thumb.png.2dda9c668cbbf773d9348ca5d2d589ec.pngHere are my settings. I didn't explicitly record using overlaps, but I tapped space to stop the recording right near the end of the cycle region, so it may have looped over?