Classic Mackie control issues

simonpyke

hi!

I've just dug out my old Mackie control universal (the one with just midi ports), and found its working flawlessly in another DAW (ableton) and all the controls are sending appropriate midi when checked in midi monitor.. however

when I try and use it in logic there are always problems with the lights not reflecting the channel setups on screen (eg multiple select buttons lit up, record lights not reflecting the arrange page etc).

I have tried removing the .cs preference file and even tried it on an alternative computer with the latest logic but the problem still exists. I have no other control surfaces installed (from experience I know that often confuses logic!)

I'm using Logic Pro 10.5.1 and mackie control version 2.12

I've tried it in both Mackie control mode and Logic Control mode with same issues happening both times.

any ideas to try before this goes back in the cupboard?

cheers!

Simon

Normally the Mackie will reflect Logic’s mixer configuration.

OTOH, how is it connected to your Mac? Which MIDI interface are you using?

Perhaps posting a screen capture of your Controller Setup and your Controller Assignment windows might prove useful…

Edited by Atlas007

hey, thanks for replying.

I'm using a pretty cheap midi>usb cable, but I've also tried another interface (iconnect) and the same problem happens. I kind of ruled that out in my head as it works perfectly in live though?

I deleted all from the controller window and all controller assignments (and deleted control surface preferences) before re-adding the device on its default settings, but could post screenshot tomorrow if you think that would help

good point about the mix configuration though - I often use quite a lot of stacks / hidden tracks etc. I thought I'd deleted all that stuff to get this working, but maybe theres something messing things up in the midi environment - I'll double check tomorrow.

might be worth trashing the general prefs too maybe?

Edited by simonpyke

thanks for the tips,

unfortunately still no luck (lights are not reflecting whats onscreen - eg mute button will mute /unmute a track but the light stays on)

have tried:

-rebuild defaults

-checked environment for rogue mixer items

-checked pref settings

-trashed prefs

-tried another alternative interface

think I may have to move on from this challenge, but heres my screenshots in case anything sticks out!

cheers

1922102369_MackieControl.thumb.jpeg.bda0c840680c82d8b5b83bd3d7f9a076.jpeg

Mackie Control.jpeg

If actions going to the computer work (eg, pressing the mute button mutes something in Logic), but the feedback doesn't (the mute light doesn't change) that indicates a communication problem going from Logic back to the MCU - so I'd start looking there.

If the same thing happens with a different MIDI interface, then that itself is probably not the issue, so I'd look to the MIDI output of Logic and your system, and the MIDI input on the MCU. You might have something going on blocking the MIDI traffic - try using Snoize's MIDI Monitor to inspect the MIDI traffic, and check in Logic you're not blocking the MIDI ports, or have other devices set up on the same port.

If the MCU works (bi-directionally) in MCU mode with other DAWs on your system, then it's probably fine and is more likely something you have going on with Logic, and is probably easily resolved with a bit of troubleshooting. I understand if you're come to the end of your patience looking at it for now, though...

1 hour ago, des99 said:

If actions going to the computer work (eg, pressing the mute button mutes something in Logic), but the feedback doesn't (the mute light doesn't change) that indicates a communication problem going from Logic back to the MCU - so I'd start looking there.

If the same thing happens with a different MIDI interface, then that itself is probably not the issue, so I'd look to the MIDI output of Logic and your system, and the MIDI input on the MCU. You might have something going on blocking the MIDI traffic - try using Snoize's MIDI Monitor to inspect the MIDI traffic, and check in Logic you're not blocking the MIDI ports, or have other devices set up on the same port.

If the MCU works (bi-directionally) in MCU mode with other DAWs on your system, then it's probably fine and is more likely something you have going on with Logic, and is probably easily resolved with a bit of troubleshooting. I understand if you're come to the end of your patience looking at it for now, though...

well its good to know its probably not the hardware. I checked in midi monitor - Logic is sending out to the MCU - the strange thing is the lights do respond when I click mute with the mouse, just not when I press the same button on the MCU (even though it does effect the channel on screen). weird

just wondering - does 'Audio Midi' setup have any influence here? I always assumed it was irrelevant to logic apart from setting up AIC buses?

• 9 months later...

Yes of course. Mackie HUi doesn’t have modes. I downloaded ProTools and installed the trial version just to get another data point and it’s the same with ProTools. The HUI seems to be operating normally when I put it into Demo mode.

The only thing that seems to work on the HUI is the pan controls they do change the pan and logic.  But Feders do not work. Transport does not work, and other things do not work.  I’m completely perplexed. It should be very straightforward.

if I move a track fader in logic, the HUI fader moves. 

Edited by MIDI Marc