Can someone explain "Align bars and beats?"

PMcC

4 hours ago, PMcC said:

“One must learn to walk before one can fly”…

Thanks !….I’m familiar, Logic does not work as explained, it’s that simple.

Didn’t mean to be patronizing, honestly… 

Perhaps I could be more elaborated in my reply if you could be more descriptive with your issue, such as providing more details about what you are doing, what you expect as outcome, and what you actually obtain…

Edited by Atlas007

The Logic manual simply states set project settings to Keep tempo and check "set imported files to"..."On align beats and bars"

Yet, not only do wav loops NOT preview in the loop browser at project tempo, when dragged in, they do NOT align. They must be flexed in order to be time corrected.

so, what is the point of the above claim, if one must flex files upon dragging into project anyway?

The way I understand the Project’s setting (from your picture) is that it is the default way Logic will treat the imported audio file, when the Flex gets enabled. Meaning: that is up to the user to decide which region will be Flex-enabled (or not). So when a region gets Flex-enabled (by the user), the Flex mode will be set (by default) to "On align beats and bars" (according to your picture setting).

sorry to be obtuse. so I will ask a couple questions.

is Logic supposed to preview wav files in loop browser at project tempo (when set to)?

because it doesn't on my machine.

When attempting drag wav files in as described, and using the setting above "Keep" "on align bar beats"

The manual states this should achieve aligning a wav loop to existing project tempo.

But, on my system it doesn't.

do these questions make sense 

• 2 weeks later...

I am not at my setup now, but I think logic puts all the loops that are not apple loops, in a separate folder, may be called untagged loops.  If the audio contains tempo information, Logic will attempt to use that depending on the way you set smart tempo. Mine will play the loops, but I have to flex time them or do some more work on them most of the time. My goal and I am most of the way there is to never record with a click track again.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:53 PM, PMcC said:

so, what is the point of the above claim, if one must flex files upon dragging into project anyway?

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/logicpro/lgcpef37cd28/10.7.3/mac/11.0

The following audio files can automatically match the project tempo and will follow any tempo changes made in the global Tempo track.

• Audio recordings made in Logic Pro (7.0 and later)

Note: If you drag a file recorded in one project to another project using the Finder, the file does not follow the project tempo. However, files copied between two projects are able to follow the project tempo if the Flex & Follow region parameter is not set to Off.

• Apple Loops

• Audio regions on tracks for which Flex Time is turned on

• Audio bounces made in Logic Pro (7.0 and later)

Note: Bounce files can only follow the project tempo if the Add resulting files to Project Audio Browser option is selected in the Bounce dialog when the file is bounced or exported. As with audio recordings, the bounce conforms to the project tempo if the Flex & Follow region parameter is not set to Off.

• Audio files exported from Logic Pro (7.0 and later)

Note: Exported files can only follow the project tempo if the Add resulting files to Project Audio Browser option is selected in the Export dialog when the file is bounced or exported. As with audio recordings, the bounce conforms to the project tempo if the Flex & Follow region parameter is not set to Off.

All other imported audio files require adjustment of either the region or the project tempo.

You can set an audio region to follow the project tempo, or add the region to the Apple Loop library as an Apple Loop. For information about creating Apple Loops, see Create your own Apple Loops in Logic Pro.

Edited by stratquebec