Audio Waveform is Displaying Incorrectly

Here’s an odd glitch…

The waveform shown in the attachments is a 90 second audio file. It’s the exact same file, shown in blue in the arrange/main window, and in grey in the audio file editor.

The grey one is correct. There are only two sound peaks in the file, and that’s what I hear when I play the file in Logic. However the blue waveform shows two additional sound peaks (that make no sound when played). 

Originally the audio had 4 sound peaks. I opened the audio file in Izotope RX9 and completely silenced two of them. I then exported the audio to a new file and imported it into Logic. 

Not sure if the fault lies with Logic or RX9, but I’ve never seen a waveform display incorrectly in Logic before. It’s making it very hard to edit the audio when there are peaks in the waveform that are actually silent.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Cheers,

Cheesy

4FFC4BBB-B408-4CCB-8264-9A4614FD0C47.jpeg

CE420202-0259-4CAD-9A0F-72A0E37E36E1.png

4 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Could that be that the zoom aren’t the same between the two pictures? 

The zoom is the same. You can see the time ruler across the top of both images. They both show the same range of about 1 min 30 sec.

More to the point, in the arrange window I can hit ‘play’ and watch the playhead as it passes over the waveform. Two of the visible sound peaks make no sound! Only the second and fourth sounds are heard, because the second and third ones don’t exist (as you can see in the grey waveform editor). Don’t think I’ve seen/heard anything quite like this in 25 years of using Logic.

Edited by Grilled Cheese PhD

Do the phantom peak displays have a reason to be there ? I.e. were there four peaks originally but you silenced these two ? If so, it's just the display of the waveform that has not been updated in just the Main window.  

Have you tried Refresh Overview(s) from one of the Audio File Editor's menus ?

42 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

Do the phantom peak displays have a reason to be there ? I.e. were there four peaks originally but you silenced these two ? If so, it's just the display of the waveform that has not been updated in just the Main window.  

Have you tried Refresh Overview(s) from one of the Audio File Editor's menus ?

Correct. There were four peaks originally, then I silenced two. However, I did not silence them in Logic. I opened the original audio file in Izotope RX9, silenced two peaks, then exported that audio from RX9 as a completely new file with a new name. After importing this new audio file into Logic, the waveform is incorrect.

I didn’t know about the refresh overview function so I’ll give that a try. Sounds promising. 

“Update overview”. Yep - that solved it. Happy dance! Thank you!!!

I suspect that the error might be due to RX9 not updating the waveform information after adjustments have been made. RX9 was recently updated for Apple Silicon compatibility so perhaps there are still some bugs that need ironing out.