Effects Rack VST? (Like Ableton)

wacked_1

Hi all,

If anyone is familiar with Ableton - there's a great feature whereby you can house any number of plugins, on any given channel strip, within something called a "rack" or a "Chain". There's a lot of neat things this enables the user to do, but one thing that stands out for me is the simple ability to save these chains, for use in later projects. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a native, or 3rd party VST, which can be used in logic to emulate this function?

As an example - the SoundToys Effect Rack basically does exactly what I'm talking about here - a single plugin which allows you to load multiple other plugins within it. And then save the internal preset combinations you design, within the Effect Rack Plugin itself. The catch here of course, is it only functions with SoundToys plugins specifically. 

Anyone know of such a plugin or solution?

(P.s. Hope i've posted this in the right place, if not please let me know and I'll try and move the post)

• Like 1

I am currently really liking DDMF's newly released SuperPlugin, which is on initial release sale for $41.  

https://ddmf.eu/superplugin/

446503849_ScreenShot2022-07-12at1_01_26PM.thumb.jpg.a6befae0c5a92b8c8e73ed63ec33d53b.jpg

In addition to providing a strip type of interface to chain plugins, it has a built in crossover for doing parallel processing on multi-bands.  Not sure if you can do parallel without the crossover...I want to ask them, maybe by setting the crossover frequency at the very bottom and top at either end, but not sure.

Anyway, I'm liking it a lot.  I ended up buying their bundle that includes MetaPlugin which is even more powerful for any of this, but not quite is neat and tidy to look at like this one.

But I also want to point out what Polanoid said.  You can just save channel presets in LogicPro in a lot of cases.  

But where a tool like this helps out is if you want to insert a saved "chain" without upsetting other plugins that are already on the track, or combining two "chains" in two plugin slots, etc..  Also, the parallel processing here.  

DDMF tools generally also include mid-side helpers as well....

Awesome, thanks for the responses and tips guys!

Yeah, maybe I should have explained a bit further in my original post - I am familiar with being able to save channel strip settings. But since recently experimenting with Ableton, I've discovered the serious value of being able to create internal effects racks/chains on any given channel strip. Mostly because of what Dewdman42 pointed out - which is the ability to introduce a pre-saved set of plugins without upsetting the other plugins already on that track.

Beyond that, I'd say the ability to assign multiple parameters to different macros allows for some seriously powerful possibilities in the way of automation. Plus, the simple act of being able to bypass an entire rack of plugins in one click is great for A/Bing. Especially if you wish to duplicate a rack in its entirety, mess with the parameters a bit, and then A/B split test it between the original one.

Thanks again for the recommendation of SuperPlugin Dewdman42 - This looks exactly the kind of thing I am after! Although, I'm struggling a bit to grasp the difference between SuperPlugin and MetaPlugin from the descriptions on their website...?

On 7/12/2022 at 4:20 PM, ozinga said:

Oops sorry Ozinga - I must have missed your post when initially reading the replies on this thread

These look really interesting too. Time to do some research of the options and watch some Youtube reviews I think!

• Like 1

I bought them both in a bundle.  MetaPlugin is a lot more flexible but just doesn't have a nice neat and tidy UI.  You have to cable things together, which gives more flexibility.

SupePlugin has more of a rack interface.  It appears to be stereo only, no multi-out audio, and it has a predetermined routing as shown, which is a common routing.  Its currently on sale for only $41 so basically that would be the cheapest and simplest way to deal with the thing you are asking about...with a simple consolidated UI to look at.

MetaPlugin lets you cable together any routing you can possibly imagine with midi and audio between your plugins...and supports multi-out audio too.  But more complex to use.  Its $59.  The bundle is $99.

I started a similar topic that you can read here:

Unfortunately, all the suggestions people usually share here on the forum when this topic comes up, are only compatible with third-party plugins. Stock plugins are not loaded, for example, inside PatchWork. As an advocate for stock plugins which I use 99% of the time, a native solution would be not only great because of that issue of the stock plugins, but also we wouldn't need to rely on another company to introduce more conflicts when new versions of Logic (or computers) come out.

Hopefully one day Apple will introduce this feature... :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Danny Wyatt said:

a native solution would be not only great because of that issue of the stock plugins, but also we wouldn't need to rely on another company to introduce more conflicts when new versions of Logic (or computers) come out.

I completely agree that a native solution for this would be great. At first I didn't really understand the point of having an effect rack but now I totally get it, and I'm now convinced that that's the kind of feature that no one knows they are missing until they try it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I completely agree that a native solution for this would be great. At first I didn't really understand the point of having an effect rack but now I totally get it, and I'm now convinced that that's the kind of feature that no one knows they are missing until they try it. 

Yeah this would bring so much more creativity. Yesterday I bought a plugin called BYOME that is pretty much this type of workflow. And I love any plugin that comes with randomization and a lock feature to lock certain parameters so you don't randomize those. I wish Logic introduced more randomization and locking features in all plugins and instruments.

Edited by Danny Wyatt
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Yesss absolutely this. I had no idea I even wanted this feature until I recently purchased Ableton. And now whenever I’m writing in Logic I constantly find myself think “gahh, if only I could create a rack/chain for that!”

• Like 1

I've used Ableton in the past and it's indeed a cool feature. This isn't quite the same and a bit clunkier but I'll make a sometimes complex setup of aux tracks and sends to do various types of serial or parallel processing, and then click the hide button so the tracks aren't visible (unless I need to automate something later), but this way I know they are there when I need them. I'll subgroup them into one master effect "rack." Then save this as its own Logic project where I can import into other projects for later use.

Not as fast and not as elegant but it kinda works for me.

32 minutes ago, wing said:

I've used Ableton in the past and it's indeed a cool feature. This isn't quite the same and a bit clunkier but I'll make a sometimes complex setup of aux tracks and sends to do various types of serial or parallel processing, and then click the hide button so the tracks aren't visible (unless I need to automate something later), but this way I know they are there when I need them. I'll subgroup them into one master effect "rack." Then save this as its own Logic project where I can import into other projects for later use.

Not as fast and not as elegant but it kinda works for me.

Interesting workaround!

Thanx for sharing!