Possible subsidence in house- will sub make plaster cracking worse?

Hi everyone, this may sound like a very silly question, but there is the possible nightmare scenario my house has subsidence (cracks have appeared inside on all walls throughout the house each side, facing the same direction around doors etc), we live in an area prone to it, and I have house insurance and need to contact them. 

While I am waiting, along with making music, I enjoying cranking the monitors and sub from time to time, listening to bass heavy music. 

Will this possibly make cracks in the plaster and plasterboard worse? It is a 10 inch 200W powered subwoofer. 

I really don't want any plaster to fall out of the walls due to vibration- yes the cracks are that bad they have fragmented into small loose-ish shapes. 

Probably the only time this question has been asked, by a very concerned person, so even to calm my nerves knowing I won't have plaster fall on me due to music would help.

On 7/14/2022 at 8:43 PM, FLH3 said:

You have an insurance?

Cranck everything up at 11 and do a YT/insta/FB video!

😄

If you have a cat it's better.

Yes I have house insurance in my name (House was inherited from my Grandfather, me and my Mum share it as it saves on costs and we own it outright with no mortgage), that covers subsidence. 

Issue is, my Mum is a very panicky person, its effecting her health her anxiety, and the cracks appearing throughout the house are making her worry. 

I have reassured her it won't collapse overnight, and if it is subsidence, I have payed the insurance each month that covers it. Its just if we did need underpinning, that will worry her a lot. 

She wanted the flat roof left where the extension was till the last moment as it was leaking for a long time- due to this when they got on the roof to re lay it, the ceiling collapsed, causing more work to be done. 

I could give it a try with the video haha, I have a dog, does that suffice lol? It would definitely be a viral video, but also may cause a heart attack for my mother. 

So I will keep it cranked to 11. I have it setup for studio use, and also my mad mode. A small green sticker on the dials of the interface, monitors, and sub is for use in logic, then a red sticker, plus switching from +4 to -10db for rattle the window after pub party time.

As there were no cracks on my exterior walls, I felt relieved. However, around our house when the house was built, the garden and sides of my house were bricked up, instead of a fence it is brickwork. 

Walking past yesterday, I noticed there is a zig zag crack down this wall fence. Not a good sign, so I will be getting someone out to check this for sure. 

As it is external I highly doubt it has anything to do with this, it was after watching some crazy YouTube videos of home theatre enthusiasts, some with 10+ subwoofers. During testing objects were shaking off tables, the plasterboard flexing etc with nails popping out, which was what made me wonder. 

And wow, I can't imagine that, that is real subsidence!

Before making all collapsing with a sub-bass try to get an IR we could use.

And if it happens trys to get a nice sample of the collapsing of the building itself as well.

At least all of this will not happen for nothing.  😄

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 6:46 PM, FLH3 said:

Before making all collapsing with a sub-bass try to get an IR we could use.

And if it happens trys to get a nice sample of the collapsing of the building itself as well.

At least all of this will not happen for nothing.  😄

Hmm, maybe I could secretly move the sub to a neighbour I don't get on with.

For the collapse of a house, should I use a Dynamic Mic like the SM57, or even a 58 with the grill removed? Or is a condenser best for these situations? Sorry for the silly question, as I am new to house collapse recording lol. 

I would rather not damage my property, but they are pesky.......

• Like 1