notes keep hanging up, banging random notes, and the sustain goes on and off.

Teresa
Go to solution Solved by Teresa,

Hello.  I have a Kawai digital piano that I'm trying to interface with my Laptop, El Capitan, using Logic Pro 10.3.2.  (Before this I've been using my PowerMac G3 with a Passport brand Midi Transport device and Cubase Lite V.1.  I'm trying to upgrade.)  So, I outputted Midi to USB and into my laptop and yes, Logic Pro is communicating with my piano, however, notes keep hanging up, banging random notes, and the sustain goes on and off.  I'm tried a number of things, including bypassing Control Surfaces, but nothing helps.  Do I need another Midi Transport device for this to work?  A Kawai piano is not even listed as one of the instruments.

On 7/16/2022 at 2:29 PM, Teresa said:

Passport brand Midi Transport device

I don’t know that device, but old gear used to require drivers installation to work properly… In such a case, those drivers would need to be compatible with the more recent macOS…

If the problem originates from the Kawai piano, which is a possibility, you could test if by using a different MIDI controller on you laptop the issue disappear. Alternately, you could try plugin your Kawai into a different system to rule out its implication. But admittedly, that is a less practical approach, considering that it probably imply moving a piano…

Intuitively, chances are that you should opt for a more recent (and compatible) MIDI interface; ideally "class compliant" (meaning: not requiring drivers installation).

• David Nahmani changed the title to notes keep hanging up, banging random notes, and the sustain goes on and off.

Thank you Atlas007.  A friend of mine is going to bring over a Midi to USB transfer box (similar to my old Passport serial midi box) and he sent me some links for the driver to that box.  My problem with the notes hanging is also on my Alexis keyboard.  I know my Kawai piano is definitely an older model but the Alexis isn't as old.  I also purchased a higher quality MIDI to USB cord that should be here in a few days.  So....something should work.  

6 hours ago, Teresa said:

Thank you Atlas007.  A friend of mine is going to bring over a Midi to USB transfer box (similar to my old Passport serial midi box) and he sent me some links for the driver to that box.  My problem with the notes hanging is also on my Alexis keyboard.  I know my Kawai piano is definitely an older model but the Alexis isn't as old.  I also purchased a higher quality MIDI to USB cord that should be here in a few days.  So....something should work.  

Keep us posted!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add something to this.  My notes started hanging up again.  I hadn't done anything different, so I was confused.  I restarted my laptop, and everything was good.  Another time it happened again.  After re-starting, notes were still hanging.  On a whim, I unplugged the power cord from my laptop and everything was fine.  It's very strange, but if someone has my same problem, they could try that, as well.

• 4 weeks later...