Instrument stops playing

sjasz

I am using an instrument from the library called "Arrival". It is built using a track stack which uses several RetroSynth and Sampler tracks. As I work on the song editing and recording other tracks the "Arrival" sound will stop playing some, but not all, of the instruments in the track stack. If I close and open the song it will play back as it is supposed to. If I create a new track by duplicating the original and then move the regions to the new track it will also play back as it is supposed to. I have not as yet been able to find a particular thing that causes it to occur. The tracks that are playing this sound were created early in the process of writing the song and I have not done any editing of these tracks in several days so it does not have anything to do with editing the tracks that use this instrument. Thanks.

It may be incorrect for me to call "Arrival" an instrument, it is actually a channel strip setting. I have found that if I load a different setting into the track and then re load "Arrival" that it will return to playing as it should for a while.

If it were cc7/cc11 would I expect to see this on other sampler tracks as well? I have dozens of tracks using sampler instruments and "Arrival" is the only one I see this problem with. Also the tracks with "Arrival" are never record enabled so they shouldn't be getting anything from the keyboard. Is there something deeper here that I don't understand? Thanks for the response.

Any automation involved?

If not, have you tried rebuilding your project, or starting from scratch using File>New project (not using an already existing project template)?

I tried that Arrival preset in different configuration over here and there is no flaw or drop of sound. Samplers and RetroSynths all keep on playing non stop as expected.

Edited by Atlas007

8 hours ago, sjasz said:

If it were cc7/cc11 would I expect to see this on other sampler tracks as well?

This would only effect the track (or stack) being selected when the cc events are received... 

8 hours ago, sjasz said:

Also the tracks with "Arrival" are never record enabled so they shouldn't be getting anything from the keyboard.

Are you sure ? Any selected track (or track stack) is automatically record enabled when receiving a midi event...

9 hours ago, JakobP said:

This would only effect the track (or stack) being selected when the cc events are received... 

So this is the weird thing. I never select these tracks. I haven't done any editing on these tracks for a while so the only time I select them is to duplicate them in order to fix the playback problem.

14 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

I tried that Arrival preset in different configuration over here and there is no flaw or drop of sound. Samplers and RetroSynths all keep on playing non stop as expected.

It may not when you get a couple hundred tracks and work on it for a few hours though. This problem also occurs in other song that I use it in.

13 minutes ago, JakobP said:

Ok. The midi cc events could also be contained in the regions on the track(s), so check for cc7 and cc11 events in the event list editor

I checked for cc in the list editor but there weren't any. Thanks for the suggestion though.

2 hours ago, sjasz said:

It may not when you get a couple hundred tracks and work on it for a few hours though. This problem also occurs in other song that I use it in.

What are your system specs? Which Logic version are you using?

I would believe that it may be uneasy to keep track of all the edition hundreds of tracks may require…

3 hours ago, sjasz said:

It's difficult to diagnose if it only happens a some random point on a big session as it's not that easy to recreate. I notice the main difference on that third Sampler track is it contains a Scripter plugin. When the instrument has died, if you bypass Scripter, does it start playing again, or is it still dead?

(In fact Scripter seems to be triggering chords that play an arpeggiator, so they are all kind of important...)

The script has some particular note handling properties which are unusual...

/*
	Send a single NoteOn (pitch 48) if no other notes are currently pressed. Send
	a single NoteOff (pitch 48) when there are no more held notes. 

If the Retrigger UI option is selected, each new noteOn will retrigger the note,
	but active notes will still be tracked, to avoid unwanted noteOffs canceling
	the note.		
*/

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

I did a test and ran the song in a loop for 2 hours. Arrival continued to play correctly during that period. I did some editing on drums and Arrival stopped working correctly again. I'm going to try to pay more attention to my editing to see if I can re-create it. Thanks for the help so far.