Bad guitar sound in logic

Søren
Go to solution Solved by Søren,

Hey:) I really hope You can help me in this forum.

I am getting more and more frustrated  because the guitar presets in logic pro are not working anymore. 

I have made guitar recordings with the logic pro presets before without problems. Then my mac asked me to update to macOS big sur, and I did so. First I noticed that none of my plugins in final cut pro were working. I had a developer from pixelfim studios to solve that problem.

Then a friend of mine send me some guitar audio files (CST - channel strip setting files), and when I opened them in logic they sounded aweful. I tried to create those guitar sounds myself, and that didn't sound right either. I have also tried to use the guitar presets that comes with logic, and they sound wrong too. Actually right now every guitar preset has the same neutral sound. Before it just sounded wrong, but now it's all neutral sounds.

I have tried a lot, but I actually don't know what I am doing. I even had a woman from Apple looking at it, but she couldn't help, and her english was bad. It was like getting no help. I wanted to try to recet all preferences except key commands, but there is a conflict (recall screenset 7x). 

I know very little about computer so I would really prefer if someone could control my computer and fix it. I hope the help is out there?

Hey again

I think the sound is a bit better now. I don't even know what I did. Anyway the main problem now is that the sound is too distorted or metallic for some of the logic presets. For instance big hair harmonics and high end rock sounds bad, and I know how the sound should be. Other than that a lot of the preset sounds in bias fx2 sound bad.

I hope someone can help me. It's frustraiting. 

Hey

I have a problem with the guitar sound in logic. The main problem is that the sound is too distorted or metallic for some of the logic presets. For instance big hair harmonics and high end rock sounds bad, and I know how the sound should be. Other than that a lot of the preset sounds in bias fx2 sound bad.

I hope someone can help me. It's frustraiting. 

The Logic plugins don't change between versions, so the same presets will recall the same parameters, which will sound the same. And they certainly won't be affected by OS updates.

Most likely - if the sound is too distorted, you've probably chainged your input level so your guitar is going into your interface, and/or your interface gain are at a much higher level, meaning it's driving harder into distortion plugins and sounding much more distorted.

So try backing off your guitar volume, or your interface gain, or at least verifying you're using the same levels as you were before.

Nothing in Logic will have changed between versions.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for answering. My first input is not used so that gain knob is all the way down and 48v and air is not on. I have my guitar directly into the second input in my focusrite, and I have that gain to maybe 30-40 percent. I normally have it like that. I also have tried to turn it all the way down. It doesn't change that much. The sound of the big hair harmonic is like crackling and screaming, and the sound of the high end rock is too metallic and just bad. 

The monitor is set to maybe 25 -35 percent. Inst is on, and direct monitor is off. I have tried to change guitar and cable, but it is the same. Not all sounds in logic are bad, but these sounds are wrong. I have used the sounds before. I don't know what is happening?

How do I see the cpu performance meter? I am not good with these techniqual issues. I just want to make guitar recordings. 

The sound is perfectly fine with no effects. The sound is also fine in some of the presets in logic. Mostly a problem with destorted presets. 

I wish there was an easier way to open the performance meter from the menus, because the procedure to open this and keep an eye on your system resources is somewhat convoluted.

Select View -> Customise Control Bar and Display, choose LCD -> "Custom", and enable the tick box by Performance Meter. This will show a small CPU and HD performance meter in your display, and you can double click on those meters for a bigger pop out window version.

If you record a dry guitar track without plugins, and then select a plugin preset on that track, does it still sound "wrong" and the same as playing through plugins live?

If these are happening with channel strip settings someone sent you, can you check that they don't require third-party plugins that you don't have, and thus don't sound as intended? You can screengrab a mixer channel with one of these presets and post it here so we can see the plugins used, which would be helpful.

If there is a Logic preset that you think sounds wrong, let me know which preset you are using as an example, and I'll see how it sounds here. If it sounds the same, then nothing would be wrong, as such...

Edited by des99

I really appreciate the help, and I now got time to look at what You wrote yesterday. The performance meter shows processing threads at maybe 15. Is this what You are looking for?

Before I checked the performance meter I followed the steps from this guy (to lower cpu): 

I think the sounds are a bit better after following the steps, but it is still not great. I tried to record without effects and then apply the effect afterwards. It still sounded really wrong. 

Before I made recordings in reaper. I only did one project in logic and I had a internet guitar player to make the mixing. I just wrote to him to hear, if he used some plugins. I am waiting for answer. He did send me channel strips so that I would have those sounds, but some of the sounds are bad. He then showed me how to create the sounds from scratch myself, but it still sounds bad.

It is the high end rock preset and the big hair harmonics in logic that sound bad. He said he didn't do anything to the big hair harmonics preset and that one especially sound bad. It is the sound used in the solo in this video I made (that's how it should sound like): 

25 minutes ago, Søren said:

It is the sound used in the solo in this video I made (that's how it should sound like): 

Can you upload a quick recording of what this exact preset sounds like for you, so I hear what you are hearing? I don't really have much context for "sounding really wrong", the presets have always just sounded like the presets to me.

6 minutes ago, Søren said:

I already tried that, but a recording of just few seconds was too much. 

As an mp3, it should be just a few MB. I just uploaded a 4.5MB mp3 to the forum just fine...

I'd suggest removing your email address from the public forum...

Edited by des99

Thanks - I had a quick check in Logic, and that's pretty much how those channel strip presets sound.

You might want to lower the gain on your guitar perhaps, which will make them less over the top and fizzy (guitar amps are very sensitive to level), but I don't see there is anything wrong as such.

Obviously, it will sound a bit different depending on the guitar and pickups you are using, and it's difficult to directly compare to the video because you are hearing his audio mixed in low with the original song also playing.

Edited by des99

That's surprising to me, but it makes sence, because I think other presets in logic sounds fine.

The big hair harmonics has a screaming sound. I can't play and listen to it at the same time. It is so noisy, but I like the sound in the video. How did he make that preset sound like it does on my solo? I did try to lower the gain, but I didn't think it fixed the problem totally. 

37 minutes ago, Søren said:

That's surprising to me, but it makes sence, because I think other presets in logic sounds fine.

The big hair harmonics has a screaming sound. I can't play and listen to it at the same time. It is so noisy, but I like the sound in the video. How did he make that preset sound like it does on my solo? I did try to lower the gain, but I didn't think it fixed the problem totally. 

The Big Hair preset sounds way easier on the ears here (YMMV, heheh), see attached mp3 (played over bridge humbucker). Are there any plug-ins on your Stereo out or anywhere else in the signal chain?

Edited by polanoid

6 minutes ago, Søren said:

I am not sure I understand the last question. I have no plugins in logic. Only plugins in final cut. 

What? The Big Hair Harmonics patch alone contains 11 plug-ins if I count correctly :D . What I meant to ask - are there any additional ones after the channel strip over which you play your guitar?

Edited by polanoid

7 minutes ago, Søren said:

Maybe because I have both humbucker and single coil on my guitar?

You could try using only one of them? Also, maybe lower the input gain on your audio interface. Watch the level meters and check that the signal you're recording isn't too hot

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

Also, maybe lower the input gain on your audio interface. Watch the level meters and check that the signal you're recording isn't too hot

Yep, as I said above, when you hit these patches really hot, it's way over the top and fizzy, and backs off as the input volume goes down. (I was only running a quick guitar apple loop through it, which was hot, but again, I added a gain plugin to reduce the input level to taste.)

Hey again

I have a hard time understanding what to do although I appreciate all the help. When playing with the big hair harmonics preset it shows minus 11,5, and the stereo out shows 10,4 and is red. I guess that might have something to do with the problem? Is this the signal being to hot?

The input gain on my audio interface is at maybe 30 so pretty low, I think.

I haven't added any plugins to the channel strip. 

Would it be smart to add a gain plugin? How do You do that?

I know really little about this so it's hard for me to fix the problem, and I have already spent a lot of hours on the problem. 

If someone could control my computer and show me how to fix it, we could find a price. I would really like to get rid of the problem.