Smart tempo + time signatures

T0nt0
Go to solution Solved by stratquebec,

Smart tempo is outstanding logic function.  I do however find it problematic when you want edit the tempo map to correct bar time signatures to get "beat one" in the correct position.

A workflow example:  I import a tune that I want to learn.  I perform the smart tempo step.  Logic correctly works out tempo map but misses various bar time signature differences, e.g. a 2/2 bar, 3/4 bars that occur in the song arrangement which means subsequent bar start positions (beat one) end up in the wrong place.  I now attempt to correct this by inserting the time signature changes (from Global track configuration).   This however screws up smart tempo and it ends up a mess.   I have also tried to enter the time signature bars in the 'smart tempo editor' but this just changes the whole tempo map rather than for the individual bar locations.

QUESTION:    is this just the limit of what you can currently do to edit a smart tempo map, or is there a better way to deal with bar time signatures  ?

thanks for any comments

@stratquebec, in your animated gif, it seems like Smart Tempo is changing the tempo at every time signature you are adding… which seems odd…

I don’t understand why Smart Tempo would be changing the tempo map while the time signature (using the same denominator: i.e. n/4) remains the same?

IOW, am I wrong in believing that the speed of a song (tempo) will not change if played in 2/4, 3/4 or 4/4?

The interpretation rhythm may feel different since the accentuated beat will shift (i.e. between 2/4 and 3/4), but the same number of quarter notes will be heard per laps of time; at a tempo of 60, one quarter note will be heard per second, regardless if the time signature…

Edited by Atlas007

Yes, your gif is weird @stratquebec.

I've never imported a song with tempo changes and time signatures changes. I'm not sure to have ever imported a song (which is not mine), actualy.

But in some of my compositions I use tempo changes and time signature changes and the tempo doesn't affect the time signature and the time signature doesn't affect  the tempo.

As you said, @Atlas007, the "feel" changes but not the speed.

Edited by FLH3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

IOW, am I wrong in believing that the speed of a song (tempo) will not change if played in 2/4, 3/4 or 4/4?

LOL For sure! I see that I recorded  the animated gif whereas the smart tempo analysis have not been executed and Smart tempo seems to be completely  confuse, and so am I now.

I’ll redo the animated gif a little later. The thing is I simply recorded a more or less loose hand clap, accentuating the downbeat on each time signature change: 4/4, 7/4, 2/4, 3/4 etc. Then Smart Tempo analysis updated the tempo track with correct tempo fluctuations and from here, I start to record the animated gif where  I apply the time signature changes. Obviously, I didn’t recorded the gif once the tempo fluctuations were found by the analysis.

Sorry for the confusion. I’m getting old, and older each day 😵💫

• Like 1

• Solution

Here's my animated gif revisited. Time signature changes are 4/4, 2/4, 7/4, 3/4 and back to 4/4. Smart Tempo analysis found the tempo fluctuations correctly and time signature changes are applied as they should in the Time Signature track. If I add a drummer track, it follows the tempo fluctuations and the time signature changes nicely.

st.gif

• Like 3

This looks like a possible solution.   I will work on it and report back.  I was changing the time signature in the "control bar" area of the smart tempo editor, i.e. a different place from shown in the gif.

Fyi - I use logic a lot for learning songs (I am a guitar player).   I import song audio, set up tempo map, mark up the arrangement (verses, choruses, bridges, solos etc) Then I am good to go to learn parts, cycle sections etc.  

I have done some testing on my Logic file and I please to report that I have solved my puzzle with time signatures + smart tempo.

Thank you to the 3 people replied to this thread - much appreciated.  

A take-away for me is to remember to check the Logic manual.

• Like 2

Atlas007:   I solved it following 2nd 'gif' from stratquebec.     You go into the 'smart tempo editor', place the playhead at the bar location where you want change the time signature, and then use the dropdown menu available at the bar line to select the time signature you want.  Then advance along the bars to the various locations where you want to make further time signature changes and repeat the process.   The tempo remains the same.

• Like 3