Accidentally hit "Don't Save" when closing a project. Is there a way to recover? There's an auto-save. How to open it?

JOB

23 minutes ago, des99 said:

I did mention this above - with my approach, it takes zero cognitive load to commit before doing something risky. With some other approach, I have to arrange things first to eg make safety duplicates, or save under a new name (making sure I'm not duplicating assets) or whatever, and then cleaning up the extra stuff afterwards - all stuff I don't have to do with the way I like to save. So it's not the same thing at all. It's a significant advantage, both in time, and cognitive load. Which is why I like it.

Open Final Cut, hover over project title in the upper left, right click "duplicate."   There's no cognitive load or arrangements of things. It takes 2 seconds, no exaggeration. 

Yes, given what's there, you have to adopt "good, responsible, professional and dependable saving habits."   That doesn't always gel with the reality of how creative work happens.  People work long tired hours, or get buzzed, or work in groups, etc, and there should be no way to make an easy mistake that loses everything.  You can get it right 99% of the time and still lose everything sometimes.   If you're working 300 days a year, and get it right 99% of the time, it means you're losing 3 days of work a year. 

You're speaking on how to best survive under current conditions, I'm speaking to the ideal, which should always be strived for IMO.   In no way is the ability to lose everything an ideal.  

Edited by JOB

25 minutes ago, JOB said:

Open Final Cut, hover over project title in the upper left, right click "duplicate."   There's no cognitive load or arrangements of things. It takes 2 seconds, no exaggeration. 

Yes, given what's there, you have to adopt "good, responsible, professional and dependable saving habits."   That doesn't always gel with the reality of how creative work happens.  People work long tired hours, or get buzzed, or work in groups, etc, and there should be no way to make an easy mistake that loses everything.  You can get it right 99% of the time and still lose everything sometimes.   If you're working 300 days a year, and get it right 99% of the time, it means you're losing 3 days of work a year. 

You're speaking on how to best survive under current conditions, I'm speaking to the ideal, which should always be strived for IMO.   In no way is the ability to lose everything an ideal.  

who are you trying to convince here? everyone makes mistakes; owning them is the only thing to do when that happens. 99% of mac apps need to be saved in order to... be saved; FCP is of course unique.

it's so worthwhile to save early on, and get in the habit of hitting 'command-s' regularly.

this forum is filled with music-makers, ie... creative people. and 'ideal' is a relative term, we don't all think the same way. but since almost all apps require a choice ('save', or 'don't save').. we adapt. and apparently, (almost) everyone here gets that.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JOB said:

You don't need to explain how it works to me, I'm well aware, I've been using it for years. And I've explained a few times why it's not as good as a single keypress to commit under my control.

57 minutes ago, JOB said:

Yes, given what's there, you have to adopt "good, responsible, professional and dependable saving habits."   That doesn't always gel with the reality of how creative work happens.

You don't need to keep arguing your point - I've already said I get it, and your points are valid.

58 minutes ago, JOB said:

You're speaking on how to best survive under current conditions, I'm speaking to the ideal, which should always be strived for IMO.

The "ideal" for you isn't necessarily the ideal for others.

For instance - Logic on the iPad works *exactly* the way you describe (like FCPX). And people are already struggling with this - eg they open the demo projects, make some changes - and LogiPad is already committing these changes to the file - in essence, they are breaking those demo projects, just by opening them to explore.

A user would have to know, or remember, to duplicate a project first, just to open it up and noodle with it, without destroying it.

This isn't my idea of ideal. Anyway, I've no more to add to the debate, and I'm not interested in arguing to justify my opinions or experience.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, des99 said:

For instance - Logic on the iPad works *exactly* the way you describe (like FCPX). And people are already struggling with this - eg they open the demo projects, make some changes - and LogiPad is already committing these changes to the file - in essence, they are breaking those demo projects, just by opening them to explore.

A user would have to know, or remember, to duplicate a project first, just to open it up and noodle with it, without destroying it.

Are there no backups?  Final Cut keeps a seperate backup of every session you close.  If that's not there in the iPad Logic, that's also a design error. 

These issues you bring up do not exist in the way Final Cut works. 

Edited by JOB

15 minutes ago, fisherking said:

see? it's all perspective. i much prefer the control i have over logic projects than the way FCP does this on it's own.

It results in the exact same options, that takes the same amount of time to navigate once you're familiar with it, without ever risking losing work.   I have a hard time understanding the preference, outside traditionalism not wanting to change anything, even for the better. 

But I respect your perspective. 

This is an old thread that got bumped and showed up in my email. . I'm mostly Ableton now, and its the same way. The future though, for all creative software, is definitely a "no way to lose work" way of saving. 

2 minutes ago, JOB said:

It results in the exact same options, that takes the same amount of time to navigate once you're familiar with it, without ever risking losing work.   I have a hard time understanding the preference, outside traditionalism not wanting to change anything, even for the better. 

But I respect your perspective. 

This is an old thread that got bumped and showed up in my email. . I'm mostly Ableton now, and its the same way. The future though, for all creative software, is definitely a "no way to lose work" way of saving. 

am NOT a traditionalist; am running sonoma, for example; i like to be on top of change. i update logic the minute there's an update.

if the way we save work (ie in 99% of all apps) doesn't make you happy, the issue is, perhaps... not with the way 'save' works.

not sure about the 'future', or what day that happens, but in the present, we save, or lose our work. so it becomes our job to make the right choice. and i'll stop here 🤣

22 minutes ago, fisherking said:

am NOT a traditionalist; am running sonoma, for example; i like to be on top of change. i update logic the minute there's an update.

if the way we save work (ie in 99% of all apps) doesn't make you happy, the issue is, perhaps... not with the way 'save' works.

not sure about the 'future', or what day that happens, but in the present, we save, or lose our work. so it becomes our job to make the right choice. and i'll stop here 🤣

If you google "can i recover a project if i hit "don't save"" or similar, pages upon pages come up from people asking this of almost all software. Its an easy mistake, that's completely unnecessary with a few simple software tweaks.  

I get it, you're the pragmatic realist and I'm the head-in-cloud idealist.  But this is a problem that costs humanity countless hours and psychological distress (yes, dramatic 😂 but very true) and is so easy to fix. 

Edited by JOB