Mapping midi which mode /arturia mk2 88 key

On the arturia mk 2 88 there’s 3 hardware buttons . “Analog lab” (controls many arturia plugins nicely  ,” DAW “(I have set to logic ...works good for basic function of logic but I sure would like to control more midi  functions in logic than what arturia already has mapped like  eq cut ....setting tempo etc etc ) and last there’s the USER button .

im new to assigning midi but understand the very basics.

not sure what mode on the arturia mk 2 I should be in to control/map more midi functions in logic with the arturia . I don’t want to overwrite arturia daw button with logic 

which mode? /which 3 of the buttons would I push to make my own maps from scratch ? . User ?Thank you

1.analog lab 

2 daw

3 user 

You’d think...I’m not sure though as “daw” /logic mode would mean logic ? Weird. This kinda stuff makes me feel pretty dumb . I have little experience with midi programming at all. I’ve assigned a button on a different controller to perform an action in the past but nothing too involved . I would like to know the mode to be in so not to overwrite what’s there on the arturia daw/logic mode

Edited by NoPro

It means it controls basic stuff of Logic, using volumes/pans of 8 channels, that's pretty much all the manufacturers of these dumb MIDI controllers set up for you. If you want anything else, or slightly more custom behaviour, you have to set it up yourself - remember though that dumb MIDI controllers are limited in how much functionality you can easily implement.

There are many threads on mapping controllers on the forum already if you want to search around, which will help give you an idea of the possibilities and approaches people use.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NoPro said:

but this “should” be pick what functions you use most and map it

Not if it's a dumb MIDI controller.

If it does basic Mackie Control Emulation (I'm not familiar with the Arturia), then it already has designed in functionality that isn't easy to extend or bypass, and is certainly way beyond the expected user tweaking to do so.

But you'll need to understand what features the Arturia supports (you can post it up here as you find out, which will help me guide you as the best way to go etc), and you'll also need to have a clear idea of what you want to achieve, and we'll go from there.

But basically, all dumb MIDI controllers are terrible for all but the most basic functions (manually mapping occasional things, which is painful for workflows), and ones that are actual control surfaces rarely implement the full range of possibilities (like plugin control), so basically the whole controller situation is a bit of a mess for most end-users, who would like to implement something useful beyond a few mixer volumes/pans and transport controls, imo...

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

Well honestly it is quite stupid if one can’t make their own assignments .....

here’s what it does have for logic in daw mode and some below also work with arturia lab mode as well.

dedicated hardware buttons  stop, fwd, rwd,, punch , record , undo , pan knobs  , cycle, volume sliders ...choosing what track to arm for record....I’m sure I’ve left a few out but that’s about it along with pads 

here’s what I’d like midi assignments for in addition ....I’m sure I’ll think of more but these are pretty basic IMO 

solo , mute , logics eq cut low cut high, resize tracks and any other plugin control at all ...like sweeping frequencies or turning oscillators ....

I didn't say you couldn't make your own assignments, if this is what you want to do, but it might be more tricky thatn you'd think if the controller isn't designed that way. In "DAW mode", in Logic, does this have a control surface setup module? How does it appear in the control surface setup window?

With manual mapping you can set up a lot of this stuff, but it's limited - eg, if you control an EQ gain control, and have multiple EQ's on one track, that gain will change for all the plugins on that track at once - there is no way to specifically target a particular insert...

• Like 1