Drum mapping questions

RhythmTrax

I'm in the midst of assigning drum sounds from a sampler plugin to the appropriate MIDI keys (drum mapping) and although it's been a while I faintly remember the "Roland drum map" (later to become GM?) to become the standard where the kick is at C1, snare at C2 etc.

1) failing to find a complete and usable drum map online, does Logic itself have some documentation or help on this? I was hoping the piano roll would be able to display the standard drum name (kick, snare, open hihat etc.) on each key so I could assign the sampler's sounds correspondingly, but haven't found any settings for this so far. Anything else I can use to help? Failing that, does anyone know of a good and complete drum map list (i.e. drum name and corresponding key)?

2) I'm mapping sounds from some vintage drum machines which was before velocity sensitive drums, hence they often had the same drum sounds at different sound levels (bassdrum 1 and 2/Snare 1, 2 and 3 on the Linndrum as an example). Other drum machines have more than 3 toms and as far as I can see the standard GM drum map doesn't have enough "slots" for those additional sounds. How do you suggest I map all those sounds while trying to keep standard mapping compatibility?

Edited by RhythmTrax

57 minutes ago, RhythmTrax said:

I was hoping the piano roll would be able to display the standard drum name (kick, snare, open hihat etc.) on each key

It does, when it knows you are working with a drum track. Assign a Mapped Instrument Object (create one in the Environment) and it by default is initialised with the GM drum names, and these are displayed in the piano roll too.

If you have sounds that don't fit into the (restrictive) GM map, then you'll need to decide for yourself how you want to solve that problem (where to put them, leave them out, whatever makes sense for your needs).

You're right! Selecting an instrument such as Ultrabeat or Drum Kit Designer showed me the drum names on the keys. Very nice.
I don't know what a Mapped Instrument Object or the Environment is, but something I'll look into time permitting and figure out how to add my sampler plugin with the drum sounds in it.

Yes -I'll assign the drums as per the GM standard, then place the additional sounds on keys that aren't already pre-defined by General MIDI (possibly below C1 even though that means I have to transpose my keyboard controller to access them). That way I'll be able to use those drums with a pre-programmed track, and vice-versa the additional drum keys programmed into a pattern won't trigger off anything else.

No worries - if you need some extra pointers just post back and we'll try to help. You might not need to go the environment route with the other instruments, depending on what you are intending to do - as so often the way with Logic, there are often many paths to get you there! 👍

Thanks. I can see that it's quite a complex piece of software which I'm barely scratching the surface of. I could probably need a beginner's course of something, but with this being a hobby and having limited free time I'm mostly learning by trying out stuff and picking up bit and pieces of info here and there. Luckily you don't need to know everything in order to get started 😀