Drum instrument triggers external gear?

Blatboy
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

I’m sure there must be something like this… maybe even built into logic?

looking for an instrument that acts like a drum machine, and you can assign each drum a midi port/channel/note out (not in) to each drum.  That exists somewhere, right? 
Id like to set up drum sets that incorporate various sounds from my disparate collection of outboard synths…

thanks. Sorry if my question is very basic… My Google foo has not been producing proper results. 

Edited by Blatboy

In Logic, virtual instruments (such as DMD DKD, Ultrabeat) are the targets of the MIDI events, not their source.

If you wish that MIDI events trigger your external hardware/software synths), you could use either an external MIDI track, or use the External Instrument plugin. MIDI data/region on tracks that are playing a virtual instrument could be moved / copied / aliased / or reassigned to your hardware synth (external MIDI) channel strip.

Thanks!  Yup. I already put something like that together. I was thinking there might be something more efficient. 

for one synth, I made a track stack of 8 external instrument instruments and can trigger it all via that stack. That said it’s not as flexible as an actual drum machine plug-in with assignable outs. 

• Solution

Have you tried customizing a DMD?

I would suggest the following:

• Create a new virtual instrument track
  • Instantiate DMD in the instrument slot
  • Ifnot already opened, click on the DMD slot to show its GUI
  • Click on the "+" of each of the DMD's pad/cell you wish to add/program a percussion piece to be triggered
  • Then, in the mixer pane, select the DMD channel strip, and click on the disclosure triangle (at the bottom, below the Solo button) to extend the DMD's embedded/assigned (sub) channel strips
  • Onto each of these (sub) channelstrips instruments slots, you could instantiate what ever plugins you wish (including External Instruments)
  • Love 1

Thank you @Atlas007!!!  This is the exact functionality I was looking for.  I've been working with logic as my (mostly) full time job since 2002(ish) and I'm always amazed at both just how many features it has, and how helpful folks here at logicprohelp have been for me over the years.  

Thanks again!

Walter