I click to change a note or automation inside the piano roll, and the whole region disappears - and this will happen repeatedly until I restart

wing

I tried searching the forum for this and I couldn't find anything. Basically Logic has started this weird behavior where if I have a region active in the piano roll which I've already been editing perhaps, and I go to click on a note to move it, the whole region just disappears. Piano roll stays open but it's suddenly blank, immediately upon clicking. Then I have to click on the region again, and then it will work. I've observed this happens when trying to change automation inside the piano roll as well.

I've also observed this happens like clockwork after I hit play. In other words, I hit play, then click a note, the region disappears, I click the region again and I can then edit. And interestingly I can keep editing various notes, automation, whatever I want as long as I want—until, of course, I hit play. Then rinse, repeat, we're back to the issue again.

It's been driving me batty! I started noticing this about a month ago, but just on one project. Now I notice it fairly often. The issue goes away on a project after I restart Logic, but having to do that can be pretty annoying on a huge project file up against a deadline.

Curious if this is a known bug? Or perhaps better yet I'm hoping there's some feature or behavior turned on that I'm not aware of? Let me know if a screen recording would be of help. Thanks!

System: macOS 12.4 / Logic 10.7.4 / mac pro 2013 6-core 64gb ram

On 8/22/2022 at 3:02 AM, Atlas007 said:

Which view option is enabled in Piano Roll (One track or Selected Regions)?

What Link modes are enabled in Piano Roll and Track area?

Hi, I finally had a chance to do a screen recording last night while I was working on a project. It happens all the time now and it's driving me so crazy that I'm re-considering Logic, sadly... which is saying a lot because I otherwise love it. But this is just painful on deadlines.

Check it out: 

I highlight at the end the link and view options. It seemed to make no difference but I generally have 'selected regions' and 'link' turned on.

I wasn't sure where to find any additional link modes, just on/off. Hoping that is my problem? It's weird though, I never had this issue until recently and I never changed any settings... 

Edit: this is strange but according to Apple there should be extra link modes visible when 'enable complete features' is on. Which it is - and I'm not seeing them! 

Edited by wing
quick update

1 hour ago, wing said:

Edit: this is strange but according to Apple there should be extra link modes visible when 'enable complete features' is on. Which it is - and I'm not seeing them! 

There are different options depending of the editor (and in some case of the context; i.e. :the score editor). The one shown in your posted url refers to the one found in the Event List editor.

What link mode is enabled in your track area?

If adjusting the link mode in the track area as well doesn’t help, I would suspect that your project (and the projects affiliated from its template) might be corrupted. One way to verify same would be to reboot Logic, then start a new project (not using any template). If the problem persists. Also, make sure that only one project is currently opened at a time; Logic is known to misbehave when more than one project is opened at once. BTW, having anything (either recorded or edited) before 1.1.1.1 is also another "no! no!"… Those could eventually corrupt a project…

If the above hasn’t helped, not being aware of such a bug, (although I am still on BigSur), I would suggest trying to go through the usual troubleshooting rundown

PS: excellent screen capture, very explicit!

Edited by Atlas007

1 hour ago, Atlas007 said:

There are different options depending of the editor (and in some case of the context; i.e. :the score editor). The one shown in your posted url refers to the one found in the Event List editor.

What link mode is enabled in your track area?

If adjusting the link mode in the track area as well doesn’t help, I would suspect that your project (and the projects affiliated from its template) might be corrupted. One way to verify same would be to reboot Logic, then start a new project (not using any template). If the problem persists. Also, make sure that only one project is currently opened at a time; Logic is known to misbehave when more than one project is opened at once. BTW, having anything (either recorded or edited) before 1.1.1.1 is also another "no! no!"… Those could eventually corrupt a project…

If the above hasn’t helped, not being aware of such a bug, (although I am still on BigSur), I would suggest trying to go through the usual troubleshooting rundown

PS: excellent screen capture, very explicit!

Thanks for the response. So I did some digging and testing with my day off (Spoiler alert: I found the culprit! It's a doozy)

In the 'track area' link mode was set to off, but I tried the other options and got the same result. I wouldn't even dream of being able to have more than one project open on my system at a time so we can rule that one out, haha.

So then I started a completely new project not based on a template. I checked the link and view modes in both the track area and piano roll editor to ensure they were the same. Interestingly it behaves as expected, no disappearing regions when I click!

So I figured must been a template issue. But then I tried a few other different templates I have and they are giving me the same issue too – and they never used to before. So in that sense I'm doubting it's a corrupt project template file (I tried several and they would all have to be corrupt, I think the odds are unlikely).

Fortunately I generally save my updated templates in versions. I went back to a slightly older version of one and not having the issue (and I reproduced this by closing and opening each template several times, observing they behave the same way each time).

So I did the annoying task of screen grabbing details of each template version to compare: there was one tiny difference. "Replace" (midi: region erase) has been turned on by default for my current templates, something I remember doing last month. It's not on by default with a new project. I tested this by starting a new project and turning it on - and the issue appears. Turn it back off and the issue goes away.

But then lastly I had to ask, why was I seeing it so much more and more in the past two weeks? And why would 'replace' being on cause this issue?

I noticed my midi in activity was constantly pulsing, something I haven't seen in the past. So I went into my global midi settings and deselected each device one by one. Turns out I had a MOTU Midi Express Sync Port turned on, sending a constant stream of midi/sysex in at all times I think. I've had the unit powered on more for a recent project which explains that. Since unchecking, all templates are behaving normally again, regardless of whether "replace" is toggled on/off.

It doesn't appear I need this sync port for my uses. Now I know! What a whirlwind...

Edited by wing

• 2 weeks later...