plugins rescanning

Meccano
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi, I use M1 MacBook pro, logic and OS up to date. My issue is recently Logic rescans the same about 100 plugins each time I open it. It also has a small box in the top left of the screen which says its scanning about 200 plugins, but that can just be turned off by clicking the "x"

I tried setting up a new user and when I use Logic with that user, Logic just opens without rescanning. So it seems there are no issues wth the plugins themselves . 

Any help/advice appreciated, thanks

In your new user account, it's not seeing any plugins as they are probably installed in your other account - hence why it's not detecting any and validating them.

You'll need to let the scan finish, otherwise Logic will detect there is no audio unit cache file and scan your plugins. Once the scan has finished, Logic should need to do a full scan again.

Edited by des99

38 minutes ago, Meccano said:

Thanks for the reply. In the new user account it did do a full scan ( 1100 plugins). After that the plugins opened fine without rescanning .

Ok, thanks for clarifying - and this doesn't happen in the main account? This suggests permissions problems writing the au cache file. Have you tried trashing the cache file completely?

Edited by des99

I have deleted the plugins cache file in my normal user account , as per instructions and Logic rescanned all plugins. Unfortunately  it still has the issue of scanning the same approx 100 plugins each time I re-open it.

This doesn't happen with the new user "test" account  I created , which scanned all plugins once  when I opened Logic for the first time , but now opens without scanning.

logic loading image.png

Just out of curiosity, did you follow step by step the video instructions?

Especially those:

1. close all applications including Logic on both accounts
  2. delete the com.apple.audiounits.cache file from your original account
  3. empty the trash can
  4. cold reboot your Mac

If not, try again.

If the problem persists try booting logic in safe mode (using Shift+Control)

BTW, do you have the same plugins showing in Logic Plugin Manager window (in terms of amount and type) in the new user account than in your original account?

Are you using Novation Automap software? If so, enable the Logic 64 bit friendly plugins option in the Automap software. (I know, that's pretty old stuff that may not apply...)

If everything above fails, I would try the following as a hack (which I never tried personally):

1. quit Logic and all apps on your Mac
  2. reboot on the new user account
  3. copy the "com.apple.audiounits.cache" file (from the new user account) and store it on a support that you can access from the other (original) account
  4. reboot on the original (problematic) account
  5. delete the "com.apple.audiounits.cache" file from that original (problematic) account
  6. empty the trash
  7. reboot your Mac
  8. paste the "com.apple.audiounits.cache" file (obtained from the new user account at step 3)
  9. Launch Logic

Hth

Edited by Atlas007

• Solution
7 hours ago, Meccano said:

Unfortunately  it still has the issue of scanning the same approx 100 plugins each time I re-open it.

It's weird that it's listing each of those plugins being scanned *twice* in the scanning dialog. Do you have copies of plugins in both the root and the user AU components folders?

I had exact same problem. Deleting cache didn't help etc. Also Logics plugin manager showed no problem in any of the plugins.

I was wondering my huge amount of plugins too so just in case I ran waves AU reg utility for version 14 plugins and I noticed my amount of plugins dropped from around 800 to 600 (I just updated to 14)  
This made me somehow suspect that the problem had to do something with the Waves plugins. 

I got finally rid of the problem by deleting all old WaveShell AU 13.x.component files from plugin components folder. This did the trick. the amount of plugins it scanned reduced to healthy 300 or so and my updated v14 waves plugins seem to work perfectly and of course the main thing is that Logic opens now without scanning AU units every time I open the application. (The solution might have been trickier if I would have had still ver. 13 plugins.)

I think des99 was right. I had 2 copies of all plugins for some reason. I think this happened when I installed a logic or OS update.

When I removed the admin ones and copied the cache file from the test account, it just opened correctly . So thanks Des99 and also everyone else who offered advice.

Ok great - yes, having the same plugin in both the root, and the user plugin folders will confuse the system for sure.

(That also explains why you didn't see this conflict in the second account, as you didn't duplicate the plugins into that user's plugin folder, and so the system didn't see duplicates.)

• Love 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/12/2022 at 12:03 PM, des99 said:

Logic can’t change, copy or modify your plugin folders, they are system defined locations and Logic has no sandbox permissions to modify the system.

So it wouldn’t have been Logic that copied your plugins into the other plugin folder, if you’re trying to find the cause.

Implying that it was THE USER who must have made multiple folders and/or copied, etc. Well, I don't know about the OP but I had so many backup copies of plug-in folders AND there were indeed TWO plugin/component folders (one on root, one on my user).  So I deleted all the old "safe" backup copies and moved everything from my user folder to the root (they were NOT identical, fwiw) and, MUCH TO MY F'N SURPRISE, LOGIC NO LONGER SCANS EVERY DAMN PLUGIN AT STARTUP!!!!!  It's 3:40am (I'm in Europe) and I've been wasting precious time at this late hour (as one does) but I just wanted, need, to thank you for actually solving this damn problem.  I've been enduring it for months now, and usually just try to have an out-of-body-experience for that minute or so.  But somehow I was motivated to fix it and, with the help of Des99 and this forum, it's F*()n FIXED.  THANK YOU!!!!

• Like 1