Logic causes Studiologic SL88 Grand controller to freeze

valve

Logic regularly causes my Studiologic SL88 Grand MIDI controller to freeze up. I.e., it stops sending MIDI data, and the screen on the controller will suddenly show a random patch and stop responding to the screen controls. (This controller has a patch system that lets you switch between various internal configurations).

I've had this problem for over a year and haven't been able to figure out what's causing it. I think it's a Logic issue, because I regularly use both Pro Tools and Ableton and never experience this in those DAW's.

Has anyone experienced this before? Does anyone have a hunch as to what might be causing this? I can't seem to manually trigger the issue. It happens just inconsistently enough that I more or less get by but can't really figure out what caused it when it happens.

Edited by valve

The SL doesn't integrate with Logic as a control surface, it's simply a MIDI controller.

It does have an optional, M1-compatible macOS app called SLEditor which just gives you a computer-interface of the controller's screen controls.

I've seen the problem both with and without using the SLEditor app. When I do have the app connected and the freeze-up eventually happens, the app loses its connection to the keyboard.

The controller's firmware is up to date.

Wild guess: have you tried bypassing all control surfaces?

(to do so: choose Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Bypass all Control Surfaces)

There is also the possibility that Logic had (unduly) installed spontaneously a control surface in the Control Surface Setup window which may cause idiosyncratic behavior and havoc...

image.thumb.png.234340f9adcf0834b4047ae40ae8c1f7.png

Edited by Atlas007

Thanks for the help guys. I'm still testing, but here's an update from your suggestions:

I experienced the freeze up even after deleting every control surface from my list. This last one happened when I assigned one of the XY sticks to the Cutoff and Resonance parameters on the RetroSynth instrument plug-in and started moving the stick around. It was controlling the parameters fine for a few seconds, then the keyboard froze and stopped functioning.

MIDI Monitor readout looks normal from that moment. It was sending CC 71 and CC 74 controller messages, which that XY stick is set to control. (MIDI Monitor lists those CC's as "Brightness" and "Timbre/Harmonic Intensity")

I power toggled the keyboard, performed the same steps, and I'm not able to reproduce the freeze-up, it just works now.

I also just realized you mentioned to toggle the "Bypass all Control Surfaces" setting. Just turned it on, so we'll see how that fares. However, it looks like this means I won't be able to map a knob (or an X/Y stick) to any controls, huh?

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 10.32.06 PM.png

11 hours ago, valve said:

I also just realized you mentioned to toggle the "Bypass all Control Surfaces" setting. Just turned it on, so we'll see how that fares. However, it looks like this means I won't be able to map a knob (or an X/Y stick) to any controls, huh?

That's just a (temporary) mean to troubleshoot your issue...

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 11:03 AM, Atlas007 said:

That's just a (temporary) mean to troubleshoot your issue...

For sure, that makes sense.

On 10/20/2022 at 1:28 PM, polanoid said:

It doesn't look as if Logic sent anything to the SL88 though. Which means it can't be Logic's fault that the SL88 freezes...

I recently noticed the "Spy on output to destinations" checkbox in Midi Monitor, so I gave that a try, and am seeing some erratic MIDI messages when starting playback and even well after stopping playback.

See video here.

Also attached are a couple pics of some of the nonsense that show up on the SL88's screen when it freezes.

Anyone know what to do in a situation like this?

SL88 screen freeze.png

Edited by valve