Record Enable behaviour in Logic 10.7.5

hbadger30
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

1 hour ago, Andy Abernathy said:

I'm not very smart about all this - I just know that I liked the old behavior. In my case it seems fairly recently that it changed, like this year at some point? I used to just select a Software Instrument track and Record Enabled would switch to that track and be turned off on other tracks. OK I'm not sure I'm describing that correctly, but I know that when I selected a track it alone would receive MIDI data - pretty sure the red R button would light up automatically for the track I selected. Is there any way to restore that behavior? Thanks!

That should be the behavior, as long as you don't click the R button of another track. If you did, then click it again to turn it off and you'll get the behavior you're describing. 

• 5 months later...

Hi, I think I have a problem related to this discussion. I noticed that from LP 10.7.5 to 10.8.1 the midi track record enabling behavior changed. In 10.7.5 I could select midi track 1 plus record enable track 2 and 3 to record the same line on all 3 tracks. Then by selecting say track 4 only track 4 would be ready to record (r button not blinking) and the previous tracks 1,2,3 would be rec disabled. Now in 10.8.1 when selecting track 4 the tracks 2 and 3 remain rec enabled so I have to manually disable them first in order to be able to record only on track 4. Is this a bug or is it possible to revert to the old behavior? 

Thanks.

7 hours ago, ollysses said:

In 10.7.5 I could select midi track 1 plus record enable track 2 and 3 to record the same line on all 3 tracks. Then by selecting say track 4 only track 4 would be ready to record (r button not blinking) and the previous tracks 1,2,3 would be rec disabled.

I just checked this in 10.7.5 and it does not behave that way. The only track that is no longer rec enabled after selecting track 4 is track 1 (i.e. the one you did not manually rec enable).

The behaviour in 10.8.1 is different from 10.7.5 in another way: If you have manually rec enabled any other MIDI track than the currently focused one, the focused one will not automatically  go into record mode when you start recording. This serves to keep consistency between MIDI and Audio tracks as well.

Edited by polanoid

14 hours ago, polanoid said:

I just checked this in 10.7.5 and it does not behave that way. The only track that is no longer rec enabled after selecting track 4 is track 1 (i.e. the one you did not manually rec enable).

I stand corrected. The old behavior I described is from LP 10.7.4. Then they must have changed it.

In my case I find the new behavior horrible. You have to check and press multiple more buttons so you don't accidentally record over still armed tracks. And what you described, that the focused track is not recording when another track is record enabled makes it even worse, I think. Btw with Aux-Midi tracks you can only hear the focused track even if you have additional Aux-Midi tracks rec enabled. But there you can record all tracks at the same time even the focused, not rec enabled track. I can't see any consistency here, really.

4 hours ago, ollysses said:

The old behavior I described is from LP 10.7.4. Then they must have changed it.

The 10.7.4 behaviour was completely buggy. When I manually rec enabled a few tracks (not the focused one) I could simply lose this manual setting by stepping through the track using the cursor up/down keys. Glad they fixed this. 

man rec en.gif

4 hours ago, ollysses said:

And what you described, that the focused track is not recording when another track is record enabled makes it even worse, I think.

That's not what I wrote. The focused track will not auto-rec enable when another track is record enabled (because you might want to record on that track/those tracks, not the focused one). You can still manually rec enable it. Makes perfect sense.

7 minutes ago, polanoid said:

The 10.7.4 behaviour was completely buggy

Not for me. Your video shows exactly what I'm dearly missing. I could quickly focus say violins 1 plus rec enable violins 2 and violas and record all 3 instruments. After that I could focus the say flute track and record only that without having to rec disable all the other tracks so they wouldn't overwrite. And now with even the focused track not recording when other tracks are rec enabled I have to push another button. So I guess we just have different workflows. For me it's 4 times more pushing buttons all the time.

2 minutes ago, ollysses said:

Not for me. Your video shows exactly what I'm dearly missing. I could quickly focus say violins 1 plus rec enable violins 2 and violas and record all 3 instruments. After that I could focus the say flute track and record only that without having to rec disable all the other tracks so they wouldn't overwrite. And now with even the focused track not recording when other tracks are rec enabled I have to push another button. So I guess we just have different workflows. For me it's 4 times more pushing buttons all the time.

You should probably ask for a user setting then, via Apple’s feedback page.

13 minutes ago, polanoid said:

What exactly do you mean by that?

With a multitimbral instrument like Vienna Ensemble I have also multiple outputs in the mixer. These are auxes. And when I ctrl-click on them (in the mixer) and select "create track" these auxes become visible in the arrange window with the dedicated midi output for that instrument. They are in some ways like the midi instrument but they also behave different like I described before.

4 minutes ago, polanoid said:

You should probably ask for a user setting then, via Apple’s feedback page.

Thanks. That's exactly what I did.

7 minutes ago, ollysses said:

With a multitimbral instrument like Vienna Ensemble I have also multiple outputs in the mixer.

That would be a multi-output instrument, no? I just tried that with Ultrabeat (don’t have the Vienna Ensemble stuff) and can’t replicate what you write. The multi-out aux tracks behave just like the regular SI tracks - when the focused track is not rec-enabled and others are, Logic will record on those and not on the focused one.

31 minutes ago, polanoid said:

That would be a multi-output instrument, no? I just tried that with Ultrabeat (don’t have the Vienna Ensemble stuff) and can’t replicate what you write. The multi-out aux tracks behave just like the regular SI tracks - when the focused track is not rec-enabled and others are, Logic will record on those and not on the focused one.

Here these aux-midi tracks behave different than midi tracks. if 2 aux-midi tracks are rec enabled and I'm focused on a 3rd I can record all three but I can only hear the focused one 🙂

25 minutes ago, polanoid said:

if you do this all the time, maybe a group with only the Record switch on could help you with your workflow?

Thank you but grouping doesn't do it for me. I need the flexibility to select/rec enable different combinations and that as quick and easy as possible. So for now I'm just begging Apple to bring back the old behavior as an option. Thank you.

3 hours ago, ollysses said:

Here these aux-midi tracks behave different than midi tracks. if 2 aux-midi tracks are rec enabled and I'm focused on a 3rd I can record all three but I can only hear the focused one 🙂

Tried here with Studio Horns "Sugar Hill" preset, since its also multitimbral, and get same behaviour here when record arming e.g. baryton and trumpet, and focusing the trombone1 track. Seems weird that only the focused track is audible, looks like a bug... Regarding the clicking needed to unarm the tracks, a quick way to do it is to select the track stacks "main" track it seems, that's what's happening here anyway...

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, JakobP said:

Tried here with Studio Horns "Sugar Hill" preset, since its also multitimbral, and get same behaviour here when record arming e.g. baryton and trumpet, and focusing the trombone1 track. Seems weird that only the focused track is audible, looks like a bug... Regarding the clicking needed to unarm the tracks, a quick way to do it is to select the track stacks "main" track it seems, that's what's happening here anyway...

Same behavior here in Logic Pro 10.8.1, with Studio Strings Section Instruments presets: Logic ignores the R-enabled subtrack, and plays only the focused subtrack:

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 1.23.23 PM.png

It's clearly a bug as the R-enabled track is recorded when you press Record, so you can't hear it during recording but you can hear it when you play back the recording. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

It's clearly a bug as the R-enabled track is recorded when you press Record, so you can't hear it during recording but you can hear it when you play back the recording. 

Indeed, with this setup I'm seeing this here as well, and agree with you that it's a bug.

• Like 1