Which Logic Pro Tutorials Do You Recommend?

Jules DeMalte

In this day and age, the problem is not finding a tutorial, but finding the tutorial.

I've used Logic Pro in the past for simple projects as a hobby, but not much. I would just experiment with it on my own, discovering some of its functionality, and probably doing things all wrong, even if the end result momentarily satisfies me. Now I want to start using it for real, and I want to learn it properly, not improvise, but I am honestly intimidated by the sheer amount of, um ... help, all over the net. I guess I need help choosing the help!

YouTube is full of videos, and there are entire sites dedicated to free instruction. But skimming through the content is odd, because I notice lots of things that I'm not sure I will need to use. Then again, I wonder, what if I do need to learn these things too? (I intend to use Logic Pro to record classically-oriented compositions featuring piano, and possibly orchestral, though I may dabble in pop tunes as well.)

The truth is, I really want to get a move on, and do not wish to waste precious time using the wrong or bad tutorial. I'm guessing many of you here made your own use of tutorials in the past. Can you point me in a direction, so at least I can narrow down my choices?

One of the first Google search results that comes up is a site called Musician on a Mission. I guess it gets many hits, but it doesn't seem bad at all. What do you think?

P.S. I don't expect detailed replies - I'm sure you all have better stuff to do - but a few sentences that can help steer me the right way would be much appreciated. Thank you. 🙂

If you're not averse to reading a book, I would gladly recommend this one. 😉 It will give you solid foundations for the basic production skills you need for most types of music production today, from audio recording and editing, MIDI recording and editing, to arranging, mixing and exporting. 

Now your quest is a challenge, because not two people are looking for the exact same information - so no two tutorials are addressing exactly the same topic. If you're producing classically oriented compositions you may have little interest in learning how to do speed fades or vocal chops, while on the other end of the spectrum a dance producer would have no interest learning phase-locked multi-track audio editing. 

So I think that searching for the information is part of the job, I'm afraid. There is a forum here where we've started sharing video tutorials in various genres, maybe you'll find one or two things you'll like there?

Finally don't hesitate to just jump in and start experimenting with Logic, try to record, edit and mix what you want to to create and ask questions when they arise, that's also a great way to learn, and the reason why I started this here forum. 

• Like 4

I teach Logic Pro and often recommend to my students a video series called "Logic Pro X Essential Training" by Scott Hirsch - it's available on LinkedIn Learning, which isn't free.

https://www.linkedin.com/learning-login/share?account=49485105&forceAccount=false&redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Flearning%2Flogic-pro-x-essential-training-3%3Ftrk%3Dshare_ent_url%26shareId%3DAvVOBf%2FjT46A3snhMXfiGA%3D%3D

Music Tech Help Guy on YouTube also does a really good video series that is free (apart from adverts):

I think the best way to learn is to work, so spend lots of time making music on Logic and every time you find yourself doing something repetitive or time consuming, assume there is a better way and go looking for it! 

• Like 2

David’s book should definitely be your first stop.

As video tutorials those on Groove3 by Eli Krantzberg are highly recommendable!

There are a few free ones to give you a gist of their quality.

They are on sale during november ($20)…

***I am not an advertiser nor do I obtain any privileges whatsoever for those recommendations.

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 1

Yet another vote for David's book. I got his book for Logic 8 and it was excellent. The added bonus is if you run into difficulty with something in it you can come here and he will answer your query personally.

On the video front I agree with what Atlass007 said about Groove3. Eli krantzberg is great (IIRC he used to post on this forum occasionally). It is a paid subscription - currently on sale.

Free vids on YT are really hit & miss, usually more misses than hits. However MusicTechHelpGuy is very good and worth checking out. He has just started a new series aimed at absolute beginners and goes through everything from the very first set up to make sure that you are starting off on the right track. The videos are very informative and brief. The series begins Here.

Usual disclaimer - I have no association with anyone mentioned here and receive nothing whatsoever for my recommendations. I have personally used all 3 and highly recommend them.

Alan. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Finally don't hesitate to just jump in and start experimenting with Logic, try to record, edit and mix what you want to to create and ask questions when they arise, that's also a great way to learn, and the reason why I started this here forum. 

I second this 100%

I started out aiming to learn one or two things each time I opened Logic. It sounds slow but it isn't. 

(i.e. ADSR applies to many synths etc, not just one) 

Anytime I've been stumped I post my question here and get great answers fast from people that know what they're talking about.

Drew

• Like 4

I agree with all of the above – including the suggestion of "just start trying to do stuff."  Yes, this does lead to a certain amount of "head-banging," which of course is not everyone's cup of tea.  Write music.  Listen to a song that you like and try to re-create some little part of it.

How did I learn to do computer programming, all those years ago?  By writing a lot of stupid programs.  (My very first was eight lines long, took me six months to write, and had a bug in it.)  Over time, I learned how to use the tools and how to figure out whatever was going wrong, the latter being the more important skill.

Also – don't overlook the "demo projects" which come with the software.  These are real projects which the artists licensed to Apple for educational purposes.  You can go in there and start taking them apart.  Turn something off and listen to what it does to the sound.  Twist a knob. Push a button. From time to time, someone will "showcase" a completed project on this site and you can do the same. You can learn a lot about how a project is constructed by deconstructing it.

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 5:25 PM, Glenn L. said:

Testing

Sorry, there have been some malfunctions with the forum in the past day, that may carry on for another day or so for some users unfortunately, due to the migration to a new server. I am guessing that's why you felt the need to test the posting functionality (I have had a couple of posts that I wasn't able to submit myself). 

Thanks for your patience, this should all return to normal shortly. 

• Like 1

I can finally reply! 😄

Thank you all for your suggestions!

After reading Mr Nahmani's reply I realised it must have seemed rather cheeky coming to this forum asking help regarding tutorials, when the whole site was started expressly for that very purpose itself, and there's a licensed book for sale by the same person!

Forgive me. I originally bumped into this site about eight months ago and liked it so much that I bookmarked it so I wouldn't forget it. So I came back and somehow missed the front door, lol.

Anyway, I will keep that book in mind Mr Nahmani! It looks good. I can't buy it right now as I prefer having a printed book in my hand, and importing it to Malta will be rather pricey. (Everything is pricey when you live on a tiny island.)

I have taken a peek at MusicTechHelp guy's video and I like them! I have already become quite acquainted with the basic functions of the software, and can already use it far better than I ever did before ... trudging on my own.

@MikeRobinson Coincidentally, that's exactly what I did! As soon as I got the hang of the basic functions I decided to try recreating a few bars from an existing piece of music. I started with the opening cue from the Monsters Inc. opening credits. I am surprisingly happy with it, though I did it from memory and without reference (and I haven't watched the movie in about ten years ... oops.)

Today I tried recreating the first twenty seconds or so of the 6th movement from Gounod's Faust ballet suite. I used Studio Strings and Tubas. Considering it's a very raw and immature attempt, I'm quite happy with it too, but can't get the violins to sound quite right. (Double basses and celli are fine.) I am not sure if it is a lack of software skill on my end or simply that I am expecting too much from Logic Pro's inbuilt instruments.

So ... it seems I'm getting along and I'm enjoying it. 🙂 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jules DeMalte said:

After reading Mr Nahmani's reply I realised it must have seemed rather cheeky coming to this forum asking help regarding tutorials, when the whole site was started expressly for that very purpose itself, and there's a licensed book for sale by the same person!

Oh no, no problem at all! I just wanted to make you (and anyone else reading this) aware of it, should you have missed it. 🙂 

MusicTechHelp guy's videos are great and very clear, you can't go wrong with his material. 

4 minutes ago, Jules DeMalte said:

So ... it seems I'm getting along and I'm enjoying it. 🙂 

That's great, really, if you are enjoying the process, then you're doing it right. 😄 

27 minutes ago, Jules DeMalte said:

Today I tried recreating the first twenty seconds or so of the 6th movement from Gounod's Faust ballet suite. I used Studio Strings and Tubas. Considering it's a very raw and immature attempt, I'm quite happy with it too, but can't get the violins to sound quite right. (Double basses and celli are fine.) I am not sure if it is a lack of software skill on my end or simply that I am expecting too much from Logic Pro's inbuilt instruments.

I commend you for doing this.

To me, mocking up orchestral music is hell. The worst hell there is in the world of working with music. Because it means I have to do stuff where I know exactly what it's supposed to sound like and musicians would play it nicely in a heart beat, moving me to tears, but the samples sound dead like a dead rock on a dead rocky asteroid.

In other words: don't beat yourself up. Even some of the best mockups sound horribly dead when they try to mockup actual orchestral music with very moving melodies and such. Sure, it's kind of acceptable if they mockup the action kind of stuff, then it works because the samples have been produced to do that kind of thing very well.

I have all of David's books, all of Edgar Rothermich/ DingDing Music, Inc also. Those books and Chris Vandiver's blog... there are a couple more things on youtube.  When it is cold and rainy outside and your sweetie is away... you can curl up with youtube and these guys books.....and 15 seconds later you are in the studio banging away!

• Like 1

OK, I did this today.

I got the strings to sound more satisfying this time by layering the free Spitifire BBC Symphony Orchestra VST over Logic's Studio Strings. Best of both worlds!

@wonshu Thanks! 🙂 I did something a bit more complex today, as the Gounod was rather simple.

• Like 3

Thank you David! 🙂

The violins seem to be the hardest nut the crack. I do have plenty of errors there, including overly loud cellos in spots, and what seems to be a slipped sustain pedal on piano.

Also, I transcribed it by ear, playing all the parts myself on the keyboard, and suspect my accuracy wasn't quite spot on. I hope Tchaikovsky isn't too annoyed.

• Like 1