Instrument channel strip loses its mind when doing "New Track With Next MIDI Channel"

KeithRamsey
Go to solution Solved by Dewdman42,

I'm using Logic 10.7.4 on Big Sur, and connecting to VE Pro on a networked PC. I have all my percussion instruments on one instance of VE Pro AU3. To add new ports and channels I use the key command ctrl-return ("New Track With Next MIDI Channel"), then change the port/channel as I go.

After settings up about 13 ports of percussion, with anywhere from 2 to 16 channels per port, I've come across this bug. Now when I try to add a new track using that key command, immediately all the tracks information disappears from the mixer (see attached screen shot). I can't get it back when I use "undo". I have to revert to saved (the first time, I had to rebuild a lot of the tracks from scratch).

When it happens, the tracks will still play back, but I can't edit the settings.

Any idea what's causing this and how to fix it?

181847047_Instrumentchannelstriplosesitsmind.png.3ed0bb09ea42b44b7ec5f2fac3bf3676.png

• Solution

the problem is that you can only use up to a maximum of 127 tracks connecting through one instance of VePro.AU3 (or any other AU3).  If you try to add the 128th one, the GUI blows up.  The only way to fix it is to go into the environment and delete some of the mixer channel objects that were created until you only have 127 of them again (127 which are referencing the same inst plugin, such as "Inst1", etc..).  

ps - read this long post...about halfway down, this problem is explained.

pps - if you want more than 127 tracks per AU3...then you can work around that by using external midi tracks feeding multi-instruments in the environment...I think I wrote about that in the above link also, but let me know if you have any questions....done that way you can get 768 tracks per AU3 plugin.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am also similar issue with the channel strips. I have a Summing folder using channel strip. It contains sub tracks and track alternatives on those too. Applying channel strip via the Library results in the summing folder being converted to a single track. Undo is of no help, it will not undo. Sometimes, undo will recover some of the data, but the individual track channel strips and track alternatives are lost. If applied by right click - not an issue.