External HD crashes Logic

Nicholos

Hi helpful folk.

Mysteriously an external HD has started crashing Logic (10.7.5)...it started (unless this was a coincidence) when I saved some files with what I later learned to be an "illegal" character (the " symbol), which I have now cleared up by renaming, and a search of the HD doesn't reveal any further rogue file names.

It may be something to do with the Sound Library location, I have reinstalled twice and deleted the plist files, but when I open Logic successfully *without* the external HD attached, it still says "can't find Sound Library, please insert the drive X" (where X is the guilty external HD), despite the fact that I have "reset" the Sound Library location several times to the default local HD. As an aside it still has a couple of "recent file" names in the "open" list, so clearly the deletion/reinstall is not completely clean.

Any ideas on a fix (or even just how to do a completely fresh installation)?

Thanks in advance

N

I've had trouble with a G Drive 2 tb external disconnecting at random, with Logic and any of my other apps. Spent hours with Apple, until it was elevated to their engineering dept without resolution. I was told to contact the manufacturer, which I did without success. Yes, I replaced all the cables, etc. What apple won't say is the new m1 macs are unfriendly with older drives. I had no problems with it on a 2012 iMac. Not so on the new machine. If apple doesn't come up with an os patch to fix this, I'm afraid the remedy is a new, compatible drive. 

5 hours ago, MT said:

I've had trouble with a G Drive 2 tb external disconnecting at random, with Logic and any of my other apps. Spent hours with Apple, until it was elevated to their engineering dept without resolution. I was told to contact the manufacturer, which I did without success. Yes, I replaced all the cables, etc. What apple won't say is the new m1 macs are unfriendly with older drives. I had no problems with it on a 2012 iMac. Not so on the new machine. If apple doesn't come up with an os patch to fix this, I'm afraid the remedy is a new, compatible drive. 

Wild guess: could that be permission issue?