Transpose pattern region produces incorrect pitch values on playback: can anyone replicate this?

spride
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

In "debugging" one of my projects I discovered that the Transpose function in pattern regions does not work correctly. Specifically, a pattern region that is first duplicated, then transposed, will appear to have the correctly transposed pitch values but when played back, the incorrect notes sound and the incorrect note is clearly visible being played on the on-screen keyboard of such plugins as have them. 

Furthermore, if the transposed pattern region is converted to a MIDI region the incorrect MIDI pitch values are shown. 

Steps to reproduce

1. Open Logic and create a new blank Project
  2. Create an empty track and assign an Instrument whose plugin window has a visible keyboard
  3. Create an empty pattern region on the track
  4. Populate the pattern region with notes. In this case we will choose a repeated Middle C
  5. Play the pattern region and observe correct behavior
  6. Duplicate the pattern region 
  7. Use the pattern region's menu functions (Functions > Transpose -1 Semitone) or keyboard equivalent (Option + down arrow) to transpose the pattern down three semitones, ostensibly to A
  8. Observe that the former middle C values are now A below Middle C and monitor as such in the pattern editor (if you click to unset and reset them, A sounds)
  9. Play the region. Observe that the note played is G# below Middle C (by ear or reference to another instrument).
  10. Open the Plugin window for the instrument and play the pattern. Observe the instrument's G# key being animated
  11. Select both pattern regions and choose Convert > Convert to MIDI region
  12. Observe that the transposed region's notes have a MIDI pitch value of G# on the MIDI region's piano roll view

I have tested this on both of my Logic instances (MBP M1Pro, iMac Retina 5K) and the behavior is the same. I have reported this, inasmuch as one is able, to Apple via their Feedback. I would be very grateful if anyone else has the patience to repeat these tests and tell me what you see?

Simon

I cannot reproduce this here. In #2 I choose Logic's "Sampler" instrument and loaded the factory setting "Classical Piano". I can verify that in #9 I observer the note A being played back, by ear and in reference with other instruments. Whether I play the pattern or toggle a note on the A lane, I hear an A and see the A key highlighted in Sampler. 

If you can reproduce this with a Logic factory instrument, attach the project here so that one of us can try to reproduce it on their system. 

Thank you for taking the time to check this out, David. I attach a sample project using Classical Piano. The issue I am seeing is actually more subtle than I thought. I am pretty sure I first encountered it when using the menus to transpose, because I hadn't learned the keyboard shortcut yet. But when creating the sample project to illustrate the potential bug I find:

1. If the keyboard shortcut is used to make the transposition, the notes are shifted a semitone too far in this case (G# not A)
  2. If the Functions menu item is used, then the pattern is transposed as expected. 

This is replicated using my Intel iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). Logic is 10.7.6 I also attach a screen shot of the pattern as transposed in #1 above showing that the notes are displayed in the correct transposition in the Pattern Editor but (I hope…) play back transposed to a root of G#.

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 9.27.10 AM.png

2022-12-31 Pattern Region Transpose Bug.logicx.zip

THANK YOU! That is an area I almost never use or look at and of course (as you imply) ⌥+↓ also transposes by a semitone there. You're right, I am forever mis-hitting Tab to go to the bottom window and not noticing, and I didn't realize that that key combo had an effect in the upper pane too.

A thousand thanks, David. 

e3519a3eb4a6397305caab5ba5625bb4.jpg

• Haha 1