Logic with Kontakt 7 and factory Library in M1 Mac

kenrob2037
Go to solution Solved by kenrob2037,

Hi All,

Does anyone have Logic with Kontakt 7 and factory Library working in an M1 Mac?

I have tried everything to get the new Kontakt 7 library working on my M1 Mac mini, Ventura 13.1, but I keep getting the issue attached in the screenshot.

Any thoughts why this is happening?

Best,
Rob

Screenshot 1.jpg

Lots of chatter over on the NI forum regarding issues with Kontakt 7, and new versions of Native Access.

I'm lucky, I have K6 on Monterey and the old version of Native Access and everything's worked out fine.

This thread is marked as 'solved' --> https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/8513/kontakt-7-factory-library-the-instrument-belongs-to-a-library-that-not-installed-error-message

Perhaps that will help.

- zevo

Bummer.

Yeah, NI has been one of the slower companies where 'getting current' on the Mac side is concerned; lots of reasons and theories for that and plenty of things to read about their ultimate demise. There was a lot of upheaval and ownership/management changes and layoffs over the years that sort of led to having a hole to dig out of. 

I'd nearly counted them out there for a while, but I actually think they're starting to gel again. I still have skipped the last two Komplete upgrades due to wondering whether they'll pull it off, or go the way of Cakewalk when they went through something similar (stayed 'til the end of that one, sigh).

Perhaps raising a support ticket and seeing if you can get some direct help out of them. They do seem to want things to work. I think they're very resource-constrained, and definitely suffered a brain-trust exodus/layooficus.

1 minute ago, zevo said:

Bummer.

Yeah, NI has been one of the slower companies where 'getting current' on the Mac side is concerned; lots of reasons and theories for that and plenty of things to read about their ultimate demise. There was a lot of upheaval and ownership/management changes and layoffs over the years that sort of led to having a hole to dig out of. 

I'd nearly counted them out there for a while, but I actually think they're starting to gel again. I still have skipped the last two Komplete upgrades due to wondering whether they'll pull it off, or go the way of Cakewalk when they went through something similar (stayed 'til the end of that one, sigh).

Perhaps raising a support ticket and seeing if you can get some direct help out of them. They do seem to want things to work. I think they're very resource-constrained, and definitely suffered a brain-trust exodus/layooficus.

Yes. Many companies go through the same thing. It appears that customers come last when they do. It's possibly that a class action might make they aware that their customers should come first, but does the world need lawyers to become richer?

I may have found another solution.

Cheers,

Rob

11 hours ago, kenrob2037 said:

Clearly they have released a product that is not fit for M1.

The library bug/issue affects PC and Mac users equally - it's not a platform issue, it's an issue with their library/authentication system, Native Access. It has nothing to do with the M1, and NI have posted some solutions on the above thread in the short term.

One of the suggested fixes is to downgrade to an earlier version of Native Access, say 1.14.1. That's the version I have (not sure why it never updated to 2 or 3, but like I said I didn't get the two most recent upgrades, so maybe I'm just not on whatever code-list forces the upgrade on my machine).

You can get that here: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000407909-Native-Access-1-Legacy-Installers-for-Older-Operating-Systems

It 'says' that 1.14.1 is for High Sierra, it seems, but that's what I downloaded when I upgraded the most recent Intel iMac (2020) and M1 Macbook Pro (2021), and it seems to work fine on Monterey on both (I haven't had a single issue, and have recently used it a lot when downloading $4.40 Massive X expansions). I don't have a Ventura machine against which to check, unfortunately, and everything's installed now anyway.

It probably runs in Rosetta on the M1. Haven't looked.

Oof. Just when I was defending them...

Downloaded Hypha (holiday freebie), which of course requires Kontakt 7 so I downloaded that. Opened (first time, giving it all the permissions it needs, prompt, prompt): Instant error about Incompatible Files and my folder path not being importable (I guess during its initializing, as I'm not importing anything otherwise).

Umm. Not even going to debug that. Just gonna uninstall and wait for reports that NI has actually crossed a bridge to being capable again. That's just bad. The OP stuff is just bad. Wow.

This one isn't even M1. Intel/Monterey, K6 working perfectly.

Hopefully once you get your libraries installed it will actually work.

Edited by zevo

Something went wrong during the installation process. The presets you are trying to load probably reside in the grey folder "Kontakt Factory Library 2 Library" of your screenshot. This folder should not show up in the browser at all...

If the presets indeed are in this folder, you could :

- live with it

- locate the "Kontakt Factory....2 Library" folder and put it inside the "Native Instruments" Folder (the one,   where your Tina Guo library resides)

- open native access, try to reinstall Kontakt factory library from there, making sure, you choose the right location (Native Instruments Folder)

• Solution
1 hour ago, tomwacker said:

Something went wrong during the installation process. The presets you are trying to load probably reside in the grey folder "Kontakt Factory Library 2 Library" of your screenshot. This folder should not show up in the browser at all...

If the presets indeed are in this folder, you could :

- live with it

- locate the "Kontakt Factory....2 Library" folder and put it inside the "Native Instruments" Folder (the one,   where your Tina Guo library resides)

- open native access, try to reinstall Kontakt factory library from there, making sure, you choose the right location (Native Instruments Folder)

There were a few things wrong with what I/it did. I reset my Mac, everything was on backup anyway, and then I was told that I needed Access 1 and 2 to make it work correctly. I got both working and then, it ran fine. It only took me a week.

Cheers everyone and thanks.

• Like 1

Hmmm I just started a post in the lounge about thoughts about kontakt 7. The only reason being I want to be able to get free kontakt libraries and instruments that require kontakt 7…..I’m still fine with kontakt 6 .this post makes me weary ….although I’m on Catalina and logic 10.5.1….

You can run both Kontakt 5 (I would recommend phasing that out...), Kontakt 6 and Kontakt 7 on the same system, even in the same project. Just make sure you don't batch resave something with Kontakt 7 that you want to use in Kontakt 6.

We do this without problems here.

So no need of making life altering decisions. Just go for it.

• Like 1

You just have to be careful in case you update the individual thrid-party libraries that those don't change the compatibility. 

If money is not such a big issue, you could "freeze" your library setup on a drive so you know those will always work with Kontakt 6 and open up your old projects a couple of years from now (assuming you also have a computer and operating system that can do it!). This is actually the biggest issue long term.

We keep 2 machines around from 2013 that are sort of frozen now, so we can open everything created in the past ten years and look up which instrument was actually used. I also still have a G5 sitting here to open up stuff I did 20 years ago.

Edited by wonshu
  • Like 2

Yeah that’s a big deal. How to freeze the 3rd party libraries !  Do you mean just copy the kontakt 6 3rd party libraries to another external ssd ? I’m not sure how that keeps native access from NOT updating them ..a bit confused. …

I have a G5 ppc with logic 7.2.3 still … has alot of songs / sessions still. The interface is gone though . Also have a G4 with PT le 5.2.1 . Lots of music for tv back then . Still works but I recently exported stems ….a painful process but that’s an old system …and I can import the old .wav stems to logic …. No drag and drop back then …ouch !

Some update come from the manufacturers but some updates for third party libraries happen through the Native Access application.

Yes, by "freezing" (I was using quotation marks on purpose!) I meant just copy them to another drive and don't change that one.

You don't even need to change your "working" version of the libraries, but sometimes we just click on update and booom, sh*t, we can't go back...

That's all. Don't overthink it.

• Like 1

I think its mainly compatibility with developers   …including but not limited to the constant competitive advancing technologies that always require some kind of update. I can’t turn on a tv without an update needed. Of course that one’s free until you need a new tv because of compatible apps….or no more hardrive space…
There’s hardly anything I see new in kontakt 7 for that “update price” . Most are version 5 or 6 still are fine …but I imagine v. 7 will be the only way to get newer free libraries . I admit NI has an inflated ego and price but so do other companies. I always thought NI looks like software from 25 years ago