Waves plugins (I believe) are causing all my third-party plugins to not load

Dannyboy
Go to solution Solved by Dannyboy,

I'm aware that when overloaded, Logic will load only necessary plugins, however, when working properly, you should be able to engage those plugins by clicking on them. 

In this case I am not able to engage any third party plugins. 

I have only experienced this after purchasing some Waves plugins. I've done a whole lot of work that I will lose (and created sounds I will lose) if I can't get this working properly. 

I've been able to briefly get things working again by uninstalling the Waves plugins and re-installing them - but only briefly. 

It's never been a problem while adding the plugins and working with them. Only after closing the project. Things freeze up when trying to open the project again, and eventually it will load with all the third party plugins greyed out. 

It's been suggested that some plugins might clash. If that were the case, I'd guess it was Waves clashing with Soundtoys plugins. 

I haven't been able to intentionally recreate this by starting a new project. It's only happened on a couple projects after they get fairly involved. 

Any shlep would be greatly appreciated. 

Try loading your troublesome project without any core audio. This will allow you to open the project and remove plugins. 

To do this, quit Logic. Then, start Logic by double clicking on your project. Hold the Control key on your keyboard as Logic runs. Choose to start Logic without core audio support. The project will likely load and then you can examine which plugins you had instantiated. They will all have orange exclamation points through them. Remove suspect ones. Quit Logic and then reopen the project normally.

You are using an M1 MacBook, I see. I've had problems on my M1 (with Monterey) and Waves v14 plugins (latest Waves version). If any Waves plugin was run with DEMO license (activated in Weaves Central app etc.), when that license expires, I have exactly this problem. And Waves is not the only plug dev to cause issues when projects load. 

• Solution

Solved! It seems it wasn't the Wave's plugins, but an incompatibility with Soundtoys plugins. 

I don't know why I didn't think about it earlier, but I un-installed my Soundtoy plugins and re-installed them, as well as my Waves plugins. They seem to be playing together nicely now. 

Thanks for chiming in!