Region Automation Glitch?

PJRasmussenJazz
Go to solution Solved by PJRasmussenJazz,

Hello,

I'm working on an animated short film with about 40 tracks. Sometimes I need to shift the dialogue, so I always use region automation. A particular issue is fading in or fading out of a region to soften the sound of breaths before speaking. 

Repeatedly, after automating the region for an in or out fade, it will playback with no change in audio. I have noticed that sometimes, if I move the fade to later (so it's clearly over the talking), it will then play back a normal in fade and take out the breath and play the audio.

I've also tried to play around with using track automation to solve this as a workaround, and that's great until I have to nudge something.

Any ideas?

I see you're using Logic Pro 10.4.8? I can't remember when exactly fades were updated in Logic Pro, but there was a time when they were actually recorded as audio files in the background, so any change in the fade meant Logic had to rewrite the fade audio file, which wasn't reliable or real time. Now the fades are real time and reliable in my experience. 

As for automation, if you want to move it along with the region you can choose to do that in your preferences: Logic Pro > Preferences > General > Editing: 

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 10.41.56 AM.png

... or better yet use "Region" automation, which means the automation will be contained inside the region and always move along with it, no matter what preferences you've set:

nudge.gif

• Like 1

@Atlas007 I do bounce in place when satisfied now, but that does not explain the myriad of glitches. Often when satisfied, I've muted a part that clearly has talking, but it only removes the awkward breath I've been trying to get rid of that leads up to the talking. 

I've never encountered any notices about my CPU being overtaxed (like I have when running a large number of MIDI files). So I wouldn't think that would be an issue, but maybe I'm wrong?

@David Nahmani First, I'm on Logic 10.7.7 now. (I just tried to update that after your comment, but can't find where I listed it on my profile).

I believe I am using region automation (see the photo). In the first region, where the region is muted but there is still clearly audio, I'm hearing the narration continue (after an extremely brief silence) even when the track is on mute. Other times, I will get loud pops from muted tracks that have been cut. Every send is set to post pan, so I can't figure out why I'm hearing audio in clearly muted regions. On some tracks, playback isn't consistent, making popping sounds sometimes but playing back fine others. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 2.02.30 PM.png

3 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I don't hear any audio there. Did you solo the track to make sure the audio isn't coming from somewhere else in the project? 

Hello, 

Yes, I've attached a recorded soloed track. 

If you cannot recreate the issue, perhaps we're looking at an operating system-specific glitch? I'm running Monterey 12.6.

@polanoid, happy to share the project, but it is quite large (1 GB as a zip). If you direct me how to share it in the forum (there's a size upload limit), I'll post it ASAP.

12 minutes ago, PJRasmussenJazz said:

happy to share the project, but it is quite large (1 GB as a zip). If you direct me how to share it in the forum (there's a size upload limit), I'll post it ASAP.

What I usually do is make a cooy of the project, strip it down so that only the part that shows the problem remains. Then delete all unused audio files from it and clean up unused files. I’m pretty sure it will be way smaller than 1 GB then. This approach often already helps to narrow down the cause of the problem.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, polanoid said:

What I usually do is make a cooy of the project, strip it down so that only the part that shows the problem remains. Then delete all unused audio files from it and clean up unused files. I’m pretty sure it will be way smaller than 1 GB then. This approach often already helps to narrow down the cause of the problem.

FYI, after doing that the overall file is still 29mb. The audio file in question is a 32mb wav file.

20 hours ago, PJRasmussenJazz said:

Yes, it goes up.

It's the exact file you've shared with me? Cause I can't reproduce this at all here. If you can, share a screenshot or screen capture (use LiceCap) of the main window with the track selected, the volume automation all the way down, the fader all the way down, and the level meter displaying a signal on the Narrator channel strip? 

• Like 1

@David Nahmani it should be. I'll send the file again just in case.

I've got two views here w/ LiceCap. The fader goes up at the moment of sound despite being clearly automated to stay at 0.

The track is soloed. I was a little sloppy labeling, but Town Ambience (track label) is the correct track for the region in the picture.

Region Automation Issue View 2.gif

Region Automation Issue.gif

Edited by PJRasmussenJazz

Also you have track automation conflicting with the region automation, which may be the cause of the issue here? The track automation starts ramping up before the end of the region. 

In the project you gave me, "Region automation takes priority over track automation" is selected under File > Project Settings > General, which should normally make sure there's no issue. 

I also noticed that the example you asked to check out is not the same as the one you're displaying in your screenshot, it would be better if we can all focus on the same single, specific example, in order to troubleshoot this efficiently. 

@polanoidit is not selected.

@David Nahmani, I did notice the issue started when I started applying region automation, so the track automation may have something to do with it. I'm going to copy the file and delete all track automation and see what happens. It only happens on regions I've had to cut and move.

Re: different example, in the email I mention bar 56 at 1:51? This is the same spot, though the track number is different because I've kept working on other parts of the project and had to reorganize the tracks. I've resent the exact file to you to eliminate confusion. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PJRasmussenJazz said:

Confirming that deleting visible track volume automation solved this issue. It should be noted that if you are trying to delete more than one parameter at a time, I did not have success. But this can be solved (I suspect), but rotating through the parameters and deleting each in turn.

Good to hear, thank you for letting us know! 🙂 

8 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

delete more than one parameter at a time

If you are showing more than parameter at a time, using sub lanes like this image.thumb.png.8b047b7140abef82186746905bc8137a.png

the global "Mix -> Delete Automation -> Delete Visible Automation on selected track" will delete automation data for all (in case of my screenshot, three) visible track automation parameters at once (BTW this works for Region Automation as well, if you have set the track to show region automation instead of track automation).

And option-clicking on the little ">" sign that adds an automation sub lane will add sub lanes for all automated parameters. 

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 10:36 AM, polanoid said:

If you are showing more than parameter at a time, using sub lanes like this image.thumb.png.8b047b7140abef82186746905bc8137a.png

the global "Mix -> Delete Automation -> Delete Visible Automation on selected track" will delete automation data for all (in case of my screenshot, three) visible track automation parameters at once (BTW this works for Region Automation as well, if you have set the track to show region automation instead of track automation).

And option-clicking on the little ">" sign that adds an automation sub lane will add sub lanes for all automated parameters. 

FYI, I'm aware of how to display multiple automation settings, however, even when multiple are displayed, only the one in the place of volume on your screenshot gets deleted. Part of the low level bug I suppose. It's an easy workaround.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:08 PM, PJRasmussenJazz said:

FYI, I'm aware of how to display multiple automation settings, however, even when multiple are displayed, only the one in the place of volume on your screenshot gets deleted.

That's not true. As I wrote, in my screenshot all three will be deleted (I did try this before writing, you know). Video attached.

deletevisible.gif

Edited by polanoid