Position value in Event List?

Ferdik
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi music lovers!

I'm fiddling around with groove templates and creating new ones.

If I move a note in step by /128, the Event List position value changes from 31, 51, 71 and so on.

If I move a note in step by /192, the Event List position value changes from 21, 41, 61, 81 and so on (these steps is used by the Quantize 1/16 Swing B-F)

But what if there was a 256 and 384 grid. What would the values in the Event List be?

14 hours ago, Ferdik said:

Thanks Atlas! So it will be 5 steps between them. And if double grid again I guess it will be 2,5 steps (theoretically, since can't write half values)

In Logic those steps are called "ticks".

There isn’t half (or defined/displayed fraction of) ticks per say in Logic. However, Logic will display a dot (‘.’) at the end of the position if such event doesn’t fall precisely on the tick. i.e.: 

IMG_0151.jpeg.b756b236d2b47521690c91386a26d4d5.jpeg 

On 2/15/2023 at 10:48 PM, Ferdik said:

Hi music lovers!

I'm fiddling around with groove templates and creating new ones.

If I move a note in step by /128, the Event List position value changes from 31, 51, 71 and so on.

If I move a note in step by /192, the Event List position value changes from 21, 41, 61, 81 and so on (these steps is used by the Quantize 1/16 Swing B-F)

But what if there was a 256 and 384 grid. What would the values in the Event List be?

The smallest displayed step (called a tick) in Logic is 1/3840 of a whole note, so a 1/128 grid would be 30 ticks (positions 1,31,61,91,...), a 1/192 grid 20 ticks (positions 1,21,41,61,...), a 1/256 grid would be 15 ticks and a 1/384 note 10 ticks per step.

23 hours ago, Ferdik said:

And if double grid again I guess it will be 2,5 steps (theoretically, since can't write half values)

It can (the exact value of the sub-tick part ist not displayed though, only noted by a little dot at the end of the position, like "2 1 4 36."), Logic's resolution for the position of MIDI notes and regions is far higher that 1/3840 note. A grid as small as 2 ticks makes no sense though. 

Many thanks Atlas and Polanoid for sorting this out!

So it will be like this:

1/128 - 30 ticks

1/192 - 20 ticks

1/256 - 15 ticks

1/384 - 10 ticks

1/512 - 5 ticks

1/768 - 2,5 ticks

1/1024 - 1,25 ticks

And half ticks is playable by Logic, but you can't program them (at least not in Logic). Please correct me if I'm wrong!

2 hours ago, Ferdik said:

And half ticks is playable by Logic, but you can't program them (at least not in Logic).

You cannot move the position of single MIDI events (like, notes), relative to their containing region's start, to anything else than whole ticks, but you can move the containing region itself to any possible position between two ticks, resulting in a timeline position of the contained MIDI events that is between two ticks as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, polanoid said:

You cannot move the position of single MIDI events (like, notes), relative to their containing region's start, to anything else than whole ticks, but you can move the containing region itself to any possible position between two ticks, resulting in a timeline position of the contained MIDI events that is between two ticks as well.

Thanks! If that what it takes I need to look into it. But I get a stroke just to read about it. 🙂

Logic really need to extend their grids! It's the foundation of music creation and to stop at 1/192 like a toy makes no sense! Add this now Logic!😡

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

I‘m not sure what you mean? What are you missing? You can position notes with a precision of 1/3840, not 1/192.

A 1/152 grid would be nice so you can just snap the notes. Instead of adjusting ticks in Event List - which can't be 7,5 ticks anyway.