Flex markers: make tail longer without changing audio before

Sir Hannes
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi,

2 questions about flex markers:

1. I want to extend the last syllable. I create a flex-marker in front of that syllable. How to extend now?

The flex-tool at the right corner of the audio object will extend the whole audio region. So everything shifts against my tempo. Till now I have to create a dummy flex-marker before the end of the region and extend this. What I am missing?

2. I want to delete all Flex and return to its original length: right mouse click on that region and "delete all flex modifications" (translated). But my audio region does not jump back to its original length.

If I de-activate "follow flex" (translated) in the left side-bar menu, then it jumps back to normal. So how can I delete all flex modifications but keep the audio object ready to be flexed again?

3 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

I create a flex-marker in front of that syllable. How to extend now?

Put a flex marker at the end of that 3rd syllable and drag it toward the right. You're not missing anything, and the flex marker is not a dummy, it's a normal flex marker. 

6 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

If I de-activate "follow flex" (translated) in the left side-bar menu, then it jumps back to normal.

It looks like your audio region does not have the correct tempo data embedded. Turn off Flex, make sure the region is selected, choose Edit > Tempo > Write Project Tempo to Audio File, and turn Flex back on. 

uh lala. thanks! I did not know, how easy that is! I saw that bpm in the audio-bin was on 120bpm. I put in the right tempo number and selected again "delete all flex". now it's right.

Awesome! 🙂

Regarding my 1st question: ok, than I will continue that way. I am just a perfectionist: I'd like to have my regions start and end on the grid, so if I copy and paste/ drag&drop/ re-arrange I always now the position it should have. My visual strength...

Thank you! 

Edited by Sir Hannes

8 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Put a flex marker at the end of that 3rd syllable and drag it toward the right. You're not missing anything, and the flex marker is not a dummy, it's a normal flex marker. 

It looks like your audio region does not have the correct tempo data embedded. Turn off Flex, make sure the region is selected, choose Edit > Tempo > Write Project Tempo to Audio File, and turn Flex back on. 

@ question 1

Now that flex marker, shifted to the right, goes straight against the fixed audio region end. I create an ultimately short/fast tiny section. Don't know why it worked in the beginning.

Edited by Sir Hannes

• Solution
On 2/27/2023 at 5:11 PM, Sir Hannes said:

Don't know why it worked in the beginning.

Ok I just noticed something weird! Here's how it behaves for me: 

If I try to drag the last flex marker right in the upper half of the waveform, it does not work. 

If I first try to drag right that last flex marker in the lower half of the waveform, it does not work, but then I can drag it in the upper half of the waveform. 😳

flex-marker-stretch.gif

• Love 1

Actually, no, I don't have a solution yet. I tried to reproduce your workaround. But I am unable to get want I need. 😞

I used just Flexmarkers and cmd+Z for undo. In the last seconds I got what I want, but that's not a solution. At that moment I have to readjust, I re-start from the beginning.

Edited by Sir Hannes

If I try to re-do what you wrote and what I can see in your video, I can not reproduce this. 

Why: at that moment I click on in the lower 1/3, your setting isn't changing. But here on my system Logic creates on this click these 3-flex-markers (as an option). Now your workaround is of course not working for me, because these 3 markers change different regions within my audio.

• 4 months later...