“Create new track with next channel” assigns random channel

paulcristo

When I use the “Create new track with next channel” command on a MIDI track, Logic assigns a random channel to the new track and sometimes a completely different MIDI device to the new track. Depending on Logic’s mood, it might assign the channels in descending order from channel 16, skipping channels along the way. It rarely will assign the actual next channel to the new track.  
I’m wondering if this is a known issue and if there’s a way to fix it. 

Edited by paulcristo

14 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

It works as expected here too. Can you share your Logic file and give instructions on how to reproduce? 

I neglected to update my new computer and Logic version, which I fixed.

I'm loading an instrument track with Vienna Ensemble Pro AU3 and cabling a Multi-Instrument to it with all the channels enabled. When I assign the first MIDI track to that Multi-Instrument and try to create subsequent MIDI tracks, this is where the problem lies. 

Thanks for the help.

Logic Template 3.0.zip

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paulcristo said:

I'm loading an instrument track with Vienna Ensemble Pro AU3 and cabling a Multi-Instrument to it with all the channels enabled. When I assign the first MIDI track to that Multi-Instrument and try to create subsequent MIDI tracks, this is where the problem lies.

OK I can reproduce the issue now (even after flattening the too deeply nested track stacks).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Nahmani said:

I did some testing and apparently this happens (in a new project) when you don't activate (make assignable) the channels in order. 

I can confirm this on my end. I'm not sure if I should consider this working as expected or if this is some kind of obscure bug. 

Thank you for figuring that out so quickly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Seems like the naming of the single instruments in the Multi Instrument is important as well (if they were renamed them like you did in your project). In that case Logic seems to use the alphabetical order (which makes no sense and should be reported as a bug). Try in attached project 😉.instrument names test.logicx.zip

Ah! I see what you mean. It appears Logic is prioritizing the naming of the tracks over the actual mechanics of how the Logic actually works. 

Thanks for looking into this. Now I have to figure how to word a bug report so it makes sense. 

10 minutes ago, paulcristo said:

It appears Logic is prioritizing the naming of the tracks

In fact you are actually not renaming the track, but the environment object used by the track (in my example project there isn't even a track for the Multi Instrument sub channels, the name is stored in the sub channel itself). If you create more than 16 tracks using the "create with next channel" function, you will see that Logic sometimes creates a track using some other MIDI object from the environment (like e.g. "Input Notes") if it fits into the alphabetical order 😉 

Edited by polanoid

17 hours ago, polanoid said:

"New Track with Next Channel" uses alphabetical order of environment object names instead of MIDI channel when creating a new track for a Multi Instrument sub channel

Let's hope Apple actually go ahead an fix it, rather than tacking a checkbox to its left and call it a feature:

Bildschirmfoto2023-03-01um10_25_57.png.b562f61afda00d7de1273824ca14c357.png

• Haha 1