Hardware and Ventura: 4k major bummer

Scriabin rocks

Wow, wow, wow. Mac? In 2023? 
I seriously did not expect that. Big bummer!

Here is the ridiculous problem;

I just took delivery of a 32" BenQ 4K monitor. 3840 x 2160 being the native 4K resolution of that Monitor, which as expected, gives you a lot of screen estate at that resolution. I watched some 4K trailers and was delighted.

There is no driver needed for the BenQ's on a Mac. Brilliant, it was recognized, connected via HDMI to the M2.

So you start working on text, spreadsheets, open browser windows, finder windows etc., and I  used "rectangle" ( Also here a bad Mac omission in the OS) to distribute the open windows on the screen, and now naturally, the size of the text and so on is unusable in this resolution because it is too small.

Now, in Windows 10 for example, you stick with your native 4K resolution, and just scale the applications, text and so on without changing the resolution, hence your screen stays at native res. and the applications are scaled to your desire, 150%, 175% and so on. This means you do nto loose screen estate, and have everything comfortably readable.

Not soon a 2023 Mac M2 under Ventura. The only option available is to change the resolution of the monitor. Hence in my case I went to 2560 x 1440 and still in certain apps, I have to zoom in. 

What for a clusterfuck is this?

So you buy a good 4K screen and are forced to use it as a 2K screen? 

I can't believe that. Does anyone know an app or round about to circumvent this problem?

Boy that is soooo bad. I had no clue about this restriction and never would have expected that on a Mac.

I love my 4K monitor. Run it at the resolution that makes sense for your needs. If you're running non-retina at 4K, the yes, text etc is going to be smaller. Run at a different resolution, and you achieve your scaling, and all your monitor's pixels are still being used.

17 hours ago, dmitch57 said:

Are you talking about the Rectangle app? If so it sounds like what you're describing is a problem with that app, not the OS. I've used a 5K monitor on a Mac for years and never had a problem resizing windows. I've never used the Rectangle app.

Nope, I am talking about scalability of Apps and text while using the native 4K resolution

16 hours ago, des99 said:

I love my 4K monitor. Run it at the resolution that makes sense for your needs. If you're running non-retina at 4K, the yes, text etc is going to be smaller. Run at a different resolution, and you achieve your scaling, and all your monitor's pixels are still being used.

The resolution that makes sense is 4K, using a 4K monitor at 2K resolution because Mac OS can not scale UI, Text and so on within the native resolution I consider a total waste.