Triggering Playback Start by Key/Play-Action only once

mmdpro

Hi there,

I'm trying to do the following:

I want an audiofile in the playback-plugin to start simultaneously if I press the first keyboard-note on the piano in that special patch. I wonder if this is possible.
I tried around with mapping a special note to a button and link it to the Stat/Stop function, but this gives me two problems: 
First, for this note there is no instrument sound generation anymore.
Second, it starts/stops everytime I hit the note again.

Are there any options to start it only once but synced to the playing? I hope you get my question.

Best regards from Germany :-)

As mentioned here, have you tried either:

• Start on Patch Change: Starts playback when you select the patch (or set) containing the Playback instance.

or

• Start with Play Action: Starts playback of the Playback plug-in when the MainStage clock starts. Start with Play Action follows the current Play From setting—that is, it waits until the next event specified in the Play From setting.

I don‘t think this helps me. Starting with the Patchchange would be too early. 
And starting by Play Action would make me to manually press the play Button.  

but i want to press e.g. C2 on my keyboard and then the playback starts.

Thank you again for Your Response! I found this post already but it doesnt give ne what I‘m trying to do.

The problems are:

1) Even if i switch „Midi Thru“ to on, there is no sound from the software instrument on this note 

2) The button switchs every time I hit it, but I want it to switch only once and then automatically deactivate.

E.g. if I look at my Korg Kronos or Yamaha S90XS I am able to „arm“ the drumcomputer to start, when I hit the first note on the keyboard. I‘m looking for such an option in MainStage. 

Just brainstorming here:

If you had two MIDI controllers. One keyboard(#1) onto which you perform, and a second one(#2) used to control the playback start button.

Keyboard(#1), controller(#2) and Mainstage need be serially connected (MIDI-wise). In addition, I think that keyboard(#1) might also need to be connected directly to Mainstage (if controller(#2) cannot provide a MIDI-THRU.

Both controllers set to send on discrete/different MIDI channels/ports. Your controller(#2) is set to receive on the same MIDI channel that keyboard(#1) sends same. The Mainstage  playback is set to respond to the controller(#2) MIDI channels/ports.

That way all the notes on your keyboard(#1) should always remain actuating the corresponding notes.

I think this can be done with Keyboard Maestro. My current thinking goes along the following line:

- use one specific key as trigger

- use Keyboard Maestro to hit "Space"

- disable macro

This works so far quite well; but there are still some open questions with room for improvement.

I take back everything I wrote (at least as far as Mainstage 3.4.4 is concerned): This does not work well. This is a Mainstage problem, though.

Playing or holding a note and then starting "Play" (either by hitting "Space" or by clicking the "Play" button) will cut off the held notes. So using a key to start Mainstage will cut off the note played by that key.

I'll test this on newer versions later.

All versions up to the current one are affected; and the behavior is comparatively strange:

When a key is held and "Play" is in some way activated a "Note Off" for that particular key is internally generated. This is NOT visible in the Mainstage MIDI Monitor but quite apparent when using a plugin with an onscreen keyboard. In addition Controller # 120 "All Sounds Off" is sent.

I'm quite surprised if that is indeed normal behavior and I'm still thinking of a "User Error" somehow. If Mainstage really behaves this way it would mean that it is impossible to hold a chord and then start playback over this.

Am I overlooking something?