Performance change on Channel Strip

oortone
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

I read a very old (possibly outdated) post here on how to change preset for a plugin (say Channel EQ) on an audio track by using Channel Strip Performances and Program Change number. But I can't figure out how to actually send the program change to the channel strip. I tried creating a midi region on the audio track (really hard to figure out how) and insert program change in the event list but that did not work. How can I do this? I really don't need the performance if there's an easier way to change preset.

• Solution

Depending of the plugin (if it support preset/program change on the fly), I would think that the MIDI triggering data normally would have to come at the sequencer object input in the environment, and the target channelstrip would have to be selected. Use of an IAC loop could be a possible approach. (not at the studio to test same)

Otherwise making the connection in the Environment directly between the MIDI channelstrip source and the target channelstrip.

If the preset change needs to occur only once or twice, it would likely be simpler to use the same plugin(s), instantiated twice or more, one after the other, in the same channelstrip and automating their on/off button as needed. Each of the instance set to the desired preset.

For more complex or higher count of presets changes, one could probably consider using Sends to the different Auxes (each instantiated with the same plugin but with different presets). Automating the Send would then be used to operate the desired selection of preset.

Here is a link on how to use the channelstrip performance setting.

13 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Depending of the plugin (if it support preset/program change on the fly), I would think that the MIDI triggering data normally would have to come at the sequencer object input in the environment, and the target channelstrip would have to be selected. [...]

Just to try this interesting idea out I tried creating a fader object sending program change, route it to sequencer input and select the audio track (in Main window) but it does not change performance when I send program change from the fader object (confirmed by a monitor object) in the Environment.

Not a big deal though, as you say, better to use two instances or two tracks instead.

1 hour ago, oortone said:

Just to try this interesting idea out I tried creating a fader object sending program change, route it to sequencer input and select the audio track (in Main window) but it does not change performance when I send program change from the fader object (confirmed by a monitor object) in the Environment.

I believe it only works when the program change is received through the Physical Input object. Try send the PC to an IAC bus, e.g. from an external midi track...

23 hours ago, JakobP said:

I believe it only works when the program change is received through the Physical Input object. Try send the PC to an IAC bus, e.g. from an external midi track...

Yes, seems like that's the case. A bit strange I find it, that a midi command can be added the to a track or a region but not received by the corresponding channel. I guess one has to view the channel strip itself as sitting "outside" or "before" the track-lane or regions and the plugins and controls of the channelstrip as sitting "inside" or "after".

But still this doesn't make sense when I connect an Environment fader (sending PC) directly to the channel strip or sequencer input in the Environment and it still doesn't catch the message sent to it.

Edited by oortone

I guess the most logical way to understand this is to view Performance changes working the same ways as Constroller Assignments, they too are intercepted before leaving the Pysical Input object of the Environment and therefore is out of reach for the user. The Environment does not really give the user a true picture of the signal flow in these cases.

• Like 1

As you mentioned it, when targeting one of the Logic app’s parameter / function, one has to route the triggering control at the input of the Physical Input object, where the controller dispatches occur. Performance Channelstrip selection being a Logic specific function, its control trigger has to input at the Physical Input object.

The documentation in Logic related to the Environment could indeed benefit to be more explicit about same…

Edited by Atlas007