Logic Pro stopped recording and went into play

stormy

I’m recording a symphonic orchestra onto two stereo tracks. My heart almost stopped when I look at the screen and I see Logic has stopped recording and went into play! Of course this happened the only minute I didn’t have my eyes in the screen. 

I hit record again and it’s working. I haven’t been able to check yet if I can rescue the audio that should have been recorded in the gap or not. This happened about 1h15 into the recording.  EDIT: No, there’s no audio to be recovered in the gap. 

Fortunately I’m also recording to a backup recorder so I should be fine. 

Is there anything to troubleshoot here?

Edited by stormy

It was a laptop, on location, no peripherals and no accidental key presses. Recording to WAV files, the interrupted file was about 1.25 GB. Besides, with Mac OS formatting I don't think that should be an issue. SSD internal disk, more than 30 GB of free space. Long buffer.

After getting to listen to the files, I can see that before the recording got interrupted there was some glitchy sound, so it didn't just randomly went into play. Also, the gap left between Logic stopping and me realizing and hitting record again was narrower than the actual time that went by. So it glitched, it stopped, it went into play, all while I was looking away.

I guess it's just random bad luck. I haven't had anything remotely like this happen for the past 10 years!

7 minutes ago, stormy said:

Recording to WAV files, the interrupted file was about 1.25 GB. Besides, with Mac OS formatting I don't think that should be an issue. SSD internal disk, more than 30 GB of free space. Long buffer.

Afaik, the format of the drive makes no difference... I believe the size limit for .wav is 4GB and .aiff as little as 2GB, but that could be outdated knowledge, and anyway it shouldn't apply here... I'd still recommend using .caf for longer recordings, though...

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JakobP said:

Also, a higher sample rate and bit rate will shorten the maximum recording time...

48kHz, 24-bit. Now that I know that Logic actually glitched, with distorted audio and a pause somewhere, all bets are off.

That's why I carry a backup recorder for these gigs! However, you never really think you're going to NEED to use it...

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 5:28 PM, stormy said:

SSD internal disk, more than 30 GB of free space. Long buffer.

30GB of free space left on HD, 16GB of RAM, more than an hour of recording… Perhaps you didn’t have enough of free usable space on that drive. Consider that below 10-15% of useable space on a hard drive (SSD as well) is risky in such a situation…

This should obviously never happen and I can't explain how it happened to you other than somehow Logic receiving a play command. 

To avoid this even if Logic gets a play command, next time, you can: 

1. Make sure that Record > Allow Quick Punch-In is checked,
  2. Click the Play button first,
  3. Then click the Record button to engage recording. 

Thanks David! After diagnosing post-concert, I could see that the audio actually glitched before it stopped recording, so it didn't just went into play as I thought. I must have stopped then about a minute later it went into play, then I hit record. I know this because the empty space is shorter than it should be.

However, your suggestion to always hit play before record is gold!!!

• Like 1