Frustrating midi

Walnut
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I tried to pick out what you described, but I'm not sure I can hear it. One reason may be that this could be a 'slow' 4/4 or a 'fast' 4/4 (assuming 4/4), so I'm not sure where the 4-bar mark you mention is.

Maybe you could solo the drums and bass and just post the first 8 bars of that as an audio file - might be easier to analyze then.

• Solution

I'm not hearing any volume drop either. If you can make a copy of the project file and delete all but the bass track, attach it here.

Note also that if you have for example a compressor on your Stereo Out then as a new instrument joins in, the current instruments will be lowered, so you'll hear the bass duck a bit when that high synth comes in on the right @0:56. 

I went and turned off the compressor on the bass track in Logic and now it is much better.  I will upload another version, but yeah I hear a definite difference in punch in the tracks right at 56 seconds.  However, I think the compressor was just interferring with the mix and pushed it back a bit.  Odd that I can hear it but two people on here cannot.  I noticed in my van which has a subwoofer.  So for me it was really noticeable.  Less noticeable with headphones, but I did notice it once I paid attention to it. So instead I am using an audiority pre-x7 preamp and I have a limiter to keep the bass under when it hits.  It seems to be working better for me now.  I will upload the track again, and see if you guys notice. 

Honestly I'm not even sure what I'm listening for 🙂 Anyway, it's your music, and we all may be a bit more sensitive to what we're working on ourself compared to when listening to someone else's music.

If you're still not happy with it, a (possibly obvious) diagnostic would be to disable all plugins/effects, and then add them back in one at a time to try to figure out where the issue is being introduced. (You did say it was much better though, so maybe you have it where you want it now.)

Yeah. Thanks. The issue was the compressor.  I have noticed that sometimes editing notes in logic is not as fluid as other programs.  Cubase is king for midi IMO.  It's just perfect.  Logic is better than Ableton but not nearly as good as Cubase.  I love a lot of things about logic but these little issues keep happening and I become frustrated.  

40 minutes ago, Walnut said:

The issue was the compressor.

Great, good to hear. 🙂

40 minutes ago, Walnut said:

I have noticed that sometimes editing notes in logic is not as fluid as other programs.

Ok so that's a whole 'nother topic. I am not familiar with how MIDI editing works in Cubase however for each workflow you're trying to reproduce in Logic feel free to start a new topic and we can discuss what the best option to do things would be in Logic. It could be that there's a solution, a tool or a function that you weren't aware of, or that you'd have to adapt your workflow a little bit to make it work in Logic, but hopefully we'd be able to help you find a solution.