PLAY ON TWO CONTROLLERS WITH DIFFERENT TIMBRES AT THE SAME

Fernando Galvão
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

I attached an image to make it easier to explain.

Let's go

I have two mainstage controllers. First I configured m audio with all timbres/patches changing via button to play live. Everything is working 100%.

Now, I added the second controller and did the same and configured the easy control to change the live tones for it. it is also working but the problem is the following:

When pressing button 1 of m audio it selects the piano and plays on it normally but before, the easy control button was selected with the timbres strings. What happens is that it only selects one timbre at a time.

I need that when I click for example on button 1 (piano of the m audio ) it keeps playing the piano and when I select the button 3 of the esasy control it keeps playing strings without stopping the piano sound of the m audio.

the timbres are already mapped to each controller and it works, it only accepts selecting one timbre at a time and you need to play on both controllers at the same time.

In summary, when I press a button to select a patch in the m audio, the timbre that was playing in the lomplete kontrol stops working because it selects the one in the m audio and the opposite happens when choosing a timbre for the komplete kontrol and maudio deselects the timbre that was playing.

how do I do?

image:  https://prnt.sc/2uhUxMW3HA77

Captura de Tela 2023-04-09 às 10.56.14.png

13 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Instead of using two sets of patches, I would try making one patch that encompass both timbres (piano for the M-Audio on a channelstrip and strings on another channelstrip played by the Komplete Kontrol).

IOW, making a new (MainStage) patch for every combination of timbres.

This makes it complicated, for example:
Sometimes I have a piano patch in the bad audio and I need to use: strigins in a song, then change to pads and then back to sax in komplete kontrol. That's why I need freedom to be able to change timbres on each controller and that both play and that when choosing a timbre and one and the other continue playing and it doesn't stay mute as it is happening now.

I've looked all over and can't find anything. if the only option to change the timbres is to create only one patch and place the instruments in each channel strip, how do I map the buttons of my controller to each button to select a channel strip to change the timbre live on stage? I will use two controllers then, I need for example: button 1 of controller 1: piano

and by pressing button 2: select strings on controller two and controller 1 remains on the piano.

and, by pressing button 3 on controller 2, change it to guitar on controller 2 and controller 1 continues with piano. and etc.

each controller with its independent mapping and playing at the same time. So I was able to do this using one controller at a time.

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2023 at 10:19 AM, Fernando Galvão said:

I've looked all over and can't find anything. if the only option to change the timbres is to create only one patch and place the instruments in each channel strip, how do I map the buttons of my controller to each button to select a channel strip to change the timbre live on stage? I will use two controllers then, I need for example: button 1 of controller 1: piano

and by pressing button 2: select strings on controller two and controller 1 remains on the piano.

and, by pressing button 3 on controller 2, change it to guitar on controller 2 and controller 1 continues with piano. and etc.

each controller with its independent mapping and playing at the same time. So I was able to do this using one controller at a time.

Can someone help me? Until today I haven't been able to play live with two controllers either by channel strip or by separate patches as I put above where I play with both at the same time and in each one I can map a timbre to each button. This in ableton live is so simple.

You could do it if you use just one virtual instrument with each controller and if these virtual instruments can somehow respond to patch changes. Instead of changing MainStage patches you would configure your buttons to recall the different timbres on each instrument.

3 minutes ago, ro-ja said:

You could do it if you use just one virtual instrument with each controller and if these virtual instruments can somehow respond to patch changes. Instead of changing MainStage patches you would configure your buttons to recall the different timbres on each instrument.

for those who play live it is practically impossible to use only one virtual instrument in each controller. today i need 8 kontakt timbres/instruments destined for the 8 buttons on each controller and switch live

• 3 months later...

You were already told how it works.

IN mainstage if you want two sounds at once, make a preset in mainstage for that.

I am building a pair of sounds that I use one of the upper keyboard, one for the lower, and when I switch the one, I switch the other.

Every single preset has two or more instrument channels, one set to keyboard one, one set to keyboard two.

If you play live you want everything nailed down, the combinations of what sound is on upper, and what is on lower, must be fixed before as part of your concert design. 

That's how it is.

Edited by WarpCanada

On 4/10/2023 at 1:12 PM, Fernando Galvão said:

This makes it complicated, for example:
Sometimes I have a piano patch in the bad audio and I need to use: strigins in a song, then change to pads and then back to sax in komplete kontrol. That's why I need freedom to be able to change timbres on each controller and that both play and that when choosing a timbre and one and the other continue playing and it doesn't stay mute as it is happening now.

duplicate the patch (use aliases of the individual channel strips) and swap out out every timbre you want to switch. 

so you have one patch with piano +
strings, one with an alias of the piano + pad, one with alias of the piano + sax 

The one controller keeps playing piano as you switch through the patches, but the other timbre changes. 

That is the way to do what you’re asking in MainStage — if I’ve correctly understood what you need. 

On 8/16/2023 at 7:55 PM, analogika said:

duplicate the patch (use aliases of the individual channel strips) and swap out out every timbre you want to switch. 

so you have one patch with piano +
strings, one with an alias of the piano + pad, one with alias of the piano + sax 

The one controller keeps playing piano as you switch through the patches, but the other timbre changes. 

That is the way to do what you’re asking in MainStage — if I’ve correctly understood what you need. 

How do I make the alias?

On 8/23/2023 at 7:45 PM, analogika said:

Copy a channel strip, and then "Paste as Alias" (from edit menu, or Cmd-Opt-V).

I'm trying here but, I think I didn't understand right. In this case, I will have a patch with several channel strips correct?
being each channel strip each timbre that I want to play with piano? If so, how do I map a controller button to a particular channel strip?
Example: When clicking on button 1 does it trigger the channel strip strings, when clicking on button 2 does it trigger the channel strip sax?
Because I only found how to map to change between patches

In analogika's example you would have several patches. Controller 1 would trigger the piano in all of these patches and controller 2 would trigger another sound (strings, sax, etc.). Is this what you want to achieve? From your original post I was thinking you want to be able to change timbres individually on both controllers which can't be done in Mainstage AFAIK.

32 minutes ago, ro-ja said:

In analogika's example you would have several patches. Controller 1 would trigger the piano in all of these patches and controller 2 would trigger another sound (strings, sax, etc.). Is this what you want to achieve? From your original post I was thinking you want to be able to change timbres individually on both controllers which can't be done in Mainstage AFAIK.

What I need is:

Example:

I start a song with piano mapped to a button on controller 1 and organ on controller 2. During the course of the song, I need to quickly switch from organ to strings on controller 2 and controller 1 stays on piano. Still in that same song, I need to change the timbre to lead on the controller and on controller 2 for pads. did you understand? That's why I initially thought about doing it individually and saw that he doesn't do it. In my case, is there any other solution?

• Solution

Create a patch for each combination of instruments and switch between those instruments combination by changing patches (with the press of a button or using program changes from a MIDI controller that features such a function).

IOW:

pacth 1 has:

• a channelstrip with a piano (controller 1)
  • another channelstrip with organ (controller 2)

patch 2 has:

• a channelstrip with a piano (controller 1)
  • another channelstrip with strings (controller 2)

patch 3 has:

• a channelstrip with a lead (controller 1)
  • another channelstrip with pad (controller 2)

patch 4 has:

• a channelstrip with a etc… (controller 1)
  • another channelstrip with etc… (controller 2)

patch X and so on…

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 1