Logic has chosen to split various (mono) regions in to L & R files - why?

PaulTMA

I recorded a bunch of instruments with two mics.  For some reson, the Reslo ribbon mic regions in my project now appear to be split into L and R, which is not something I knowingly chose to do.  As far as I understood at least, I recorded them mono, so have no idea why I now have a bunch of L and R files which all appear to be for this particular microphone.  (I've no memory of it being set up to be recorded stereo, not intentionally anyway.)  It's getting confusing as I need to send the project away to the mixing engineer and I don't want to bombard him with all these extra files, which I think are probably going to be identical.

What would you advise for cleaning up this project?  Just delete all the L or R regions and throw them away?  I've no idea how they all ended up like this in the first place.  I certainly didn't notice it happening at the time.

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 18.44.17.png

Logic doesn't split the files on its own so something happened here, and it's hard to tell what exactly.

Are the L and R files identical? You could insert a gain plug-in on one of the two tracks to invert its polarity, solo the two tracks and play. If you hear silence even though you see level on the tracks' meters then the files are identical, and you can get rid of one of them. 

Thanks, that seems like a good solution.   I'm mainly bewildered as to why this happened in the first place.

I checked another project, and the same thing has happened to the source from the same microphone.  The mic itself can record from front and back, but I can't work out how I've ended up with two files, one marked L and the other R, when I was recording it mono.  It's like these were separated like this after I saved it?

s-l1600-13.jpg

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Are you in Logic Pro 10.4.1 as per your signature? There may be a preference called "Universal Track Mode" in your Logic audio preferences. Make sure that's selected. 

I am yes... struggling to find Universal Track Mode in that section or nearby...

3 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I can't remember when that preference was removed from Logic Pro so maybe it's already not present in your version. 

Can I see a screenshot of your Mixer? 

I've highlighted two that became L and R.  When I found these, they had already hard-panned - not manually by me.

Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 13.29.08.png

3 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Ok thanks for this. Were those audio files dragged from a browser or the Finder by any chance? 

No, these were just bounced down within the project from a track of compiled takes.  I've only noticed all of these regions recorded with the same microphone being split up this way when I have returned to the project at a later date.  I think I would probably notice that happening had it happened at the time I bounced them down.