Speculation: next major features in logic

jmob

Everyone has their preferences of course, but I'd love it if they fixed some of the latency compensation issues and added arbitrary track stack depth. (I can imagine the latter might be difficult in that it might involve reconceptualizing the UI somewhat.)

A virtual singer module is an interesting idea though. I use Emvoice, which is a great tool. Something like that in Logic would be very consistent with e.g. Drummer and with Logic's focus on composition and arranging. Also, as much as I love Emvoice, it can be difficult to work with due to its separate timeline and lack of integration with the DAW. Something fully integrated where you could create and edit using regions, just like MIDI, audio, Drummer, etc., would be amazing. (Realistically I don't see that happening unless Apple were to purchase and integrate third-party technology, but it would be a great addition, and consistent with Logic's ethos.)

• Like 1
  • Love 2

For me, I'd love to see "drag-drop" for effects, virtual instruments and maybe presets. Maybe a browser for those same items.  I've grown weary of the little drop downs in the channel strips. 

Also, whats with all the blank space at the top of the mixer window, in in full-screen mode. A resizable mixer would be great. 

6 minutes ago, jmob said:

I'd also like to see the ability to pin tracks to the top of the arrangement so they are there like global tracks.

Yes, this would be useful for things like reference tracks, arrangement/form tracks using dummy MIDI regions (there are markers and the arrangement track of course, but using MIDI regions for this can be handy), or even just to temporarily put tracks side by side for comparison that you otherwise don't want to move. I imagine there might be some implementation challenges though, such as how to handle selection, marquee operations, interaction with track stacks, and so on.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 4:45 PM, scg said:

Everyone has their preferences of course, but I'd love it if they fixed some of the latency compensation issues and added arbitrary track stack depth. (I can imagine the latter might be difficult in that it might involve reconceptualizing the UI somewhat.)

A virtual singer module is an interesting idea though. I use Emvoice, which is a great tool. Something like that in Logic would be very consistent with e.g. Drummer and with Logic's focus on composition and arranging. Also, as much as I love Emvoice, it can be difficult to work with due to its separate timeline and lack of integration with the DAW. Something fully integrated where you could create and edit using regions, just like MIDI, audio, Drummer, etc., would be amazing. (Realistically I don't see that happening unless Apple were to purchase and integrate third-party technology, but it would be a great addition, and consistent with Logic's ethos.)

scg,

Thanks for the suggestion of Emvoice. I have been using Alchemy to provide a singer of sorts, but with no real control over the phonemes it is rather limited.

Emvoice seems quite good if a little clunky. Have you tried Synthesizer V or Vocaloid?

Edited by Dox
Typo Emsys should be Emvoice
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dox said:

scg,

Thanks for the suggestion of Emvoice. I have been using Alchemy to provide a singer of sorts, but with no real control over the phonemes it is rather limited.

Emsys seems quite good if a little clunky. Have you tried Synthesizer V or Vocaloid?

Haven't tried Emsys. I looked at Synthesizer V, but didn't pursue it (can't remember why).

I did try Vocaloid, and carefully compared Vocaloid and Emvoice before choosing one. Cost was a factor (Emvoice is less expensive), but fortunately I liked Emvoice a bit better anyway. I could be wrong about this (it's been a while since I looked at it), but I think Vocaloid uses (pure) synthesis, whereas Emvoice (as I understand it) constructs audio algorithmically from live elements. So that's one difference between the two.

You may already know all this, but here are some things about Emvoice that might be relevant if you're looking into it. The algorithms are run on the cloud, which means that for creating new material at least, you're more or less dependent on that service being up and running. (I'm assuming this isn't the case with Vocaloid.) As I think I alluded to earlier, Emvoice is a bit awkward to work with due to the separate timeline, but that may be true of other similar software as well.

As for the voices, Lucy isn't particularly realistic, but she's good for e.g. wordless and background vocals. Keela is good, but gets a bit 'overbearing' above around the G above middle C. To deal with that, I often transpose her down in Emvoice, then pitch-shift her up externally. For male vocals, Jay is solid.

Anyway, I've had really good luck with Emvoice so far.

1 minute ago, Dox said:

I agree with you about Vocaloid vs Emvoice (btw sorry for typing Emsys instead of Emvoice in my last post).

I am considering Synthesizer V by Dreamtronics (https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/dreamtonics-synthesizer-v) but can't really find a free demo. It claims to be the best and has a lot of people commenting to that effect.

synth V can be amazing but the new technologies that are emerging are waaaaaaay beyond all of the above. Check out Aisis? singers and performers should fear this.

• Wow! 1

7 minutes ago, Dox said:

I agree with you about Vocaloid vs Emvoice (btw sorry for typing Emsys instead of Emvoice in my last post).

Ah, got it - I assumed Emsys was some exciting new software I hadn't heard of 🙂 But yes, Emvoice is somewhat clunky to work with.

Anyway, regarding all the different options (including Aisis, mentioned above), it seems like this is a fast-developing area, so I expect different tools to be 'leapfrogging' each other for a while as new developments occur.

Back on the original topic, this functionality seems ripe for native integration into a DAW. As far as I know, this hasn't happened yet (?). I can imagine some challenges, such as supporting different languages, styles, musical traditions, etc.

As I mentioned, I think this would be a natural fit for Logic. I don't know how some of the other tools work (e.g. Aisis), as I haven't looked into them. But Emvoice (necessarily, more or less) uses its own timeline and 'environment', meaning that (unless I've missed something) you have to do some awkward things, like record tempo and time signature changes in real time, and replicate time-based edits made in the DAW within the plugin. Something more integrated would be a significant improvement over that.

• Like 1

I'd love better AAF import support so I don't have to use Protools to open AAFs, bounce the tracks out to work in Logic. 

I'd love the option to Save Template with NO MEDIA! How hard can this be to add? PT has it. It can't be that hard. 

I'd like to see a complete rework of the Controller Setup. I want to be able to use a controller that is mapped for different VIs and it just work. It's impossible to set this up now. 

I'd like a mixer with better everything....colors, channel order etc..but that's low priority, I rarely use the mixer now. 

Better/More track icons would be nice. 

4 minutes ago, guavadude said:

I'd like to see a complete rework of the Controller Setup. I want to be able to use a controller that is mapped for different VIs and it just work. It's impossible to set this up now. 

It's not impossible but it depends on your needs, and your ability to setup such a scheme.

Honestly, for me, plugin search and load via keyboard, instead of mousing the menus is the small, tiny thing I most want to see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, guavadude said:

what's the problem you are facing with mapping controllers to VIs?

works great for me and super easy to set up too, unless i am misunderstanding the issue

Edited by ravez

if were going to get a release this year thats major it could be around wwdc in june. 

i just want to move tracks in the mixer. Multipresssor modern skinned and everything else thats old would be cool. more responsive file browser would be cool. i wont say no to new instruments or fx. apple classical could have integration into our instrument collections. I wouldnt be surprised if the logic team is begging apple if not already there to record samples for classical instruments for logic. Maybe a spatial synth would be cool. Flex Pitch improvements would be amazing. 

bonus fun feature: implement scale fold so i dont have to do my import region with every scale note on it and collapse work around every time but its no big deal. 

• Like 1

I would love:

1. Improvements to Smart Controls. Let users save Smart Control configurations per plug-in instead of per Patch/Channel Strip (how it currently functions). Also, perhaps add more layouts and maybe up to 16 visible controls instead of 12. I know the "Modern Black 2 Tab" gets you 12x2 parameters but there's an extra step of having to click on "Sends". What would be really great is to be able to configure the layouts ourselves....

2. An equivalent to Ableton's Audio Effects Racks, a single "container" of a chain of audio effects. I'm not a fan of tall channel strips...

3. The ability for the Modulator MIDI FX to automate audio plugin parameters directly instead of having to resort to weird workarounds.

4. At least one more level of Track Stack nesting (without a workaround you can currently only nest one level of Track Stacks)

5. Record MIDI FX without having to play it in 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, anp27 said:

5. Record MIDI FX without having to play it in 

I was wondering about this myself. Is there currently any way to record the output of MIDI plugins when the input is a region and not live? I looked around a bit, but didn't find anything, and I don't remember reading anything about that in the documentation. (Maybe it can be done via the environment, but if there isn't a more user-friendly method available, it'd be nice if there were.)

2 minutes ago, scg said:

I was wondering about this myself. Is there currently any way to record the output of MIDI plugins when the input is a region and not live? I looked around a bit, but didn't find anything, and I don't remember reading anything about that in the documentation. (Maybe it can be done via the environment, but if there isn't a more user-friendly method available, it'd be nice if there were.)

Yes: http://www.audiocr.com/ this type of functionality should be handled by Logic directly though. We shouldn't have to resort to third party plugins

• Like 1

One other thing...

Be able to control "input gain" before it hits the channel. I've read that some interfaces do this with Logic, and some don't. However, Cubase, Studio One, even little Reaper allows me to adjust incoming gain  but not Logic (it's greyed out). Logic was my first Daw and I still use it, but less and less due to some features not being improved from 10-15 years ago. Apple is supposed to be the king of the easy to use interface, but Logic is showing some age. IMHO.

Four basic mixing-improvements I can think of:

spotlight-plugin insert (like plugsearch)

Easier and session-based naming of busses. (Like using the name of the receiving Aux for the bus-sends: VOX HALL instead of Bus 4 etc.) Could be an optional thing. 

Stereo-Panning as a default option. 

improved stem-making

• Like 2

I hope for, 

Multiple video files per Project

Project based bus names

Improved browser and library with tags, favs etc.

Advanced Export Options (Stems with Sends etc.)

Something similar to Cubase Control Room 

Easier Automation and Midi CC editing with shapes and skewing.

Deeper Stacks

Improved Audio Engine that responds immediately to changes while the song is running.

Track Search

Plugin Drag&Drop

Container Plugin like Ableton Live Rack

Improved Flex

I do not expect any of these to happen 😅

• Like 5