Key Commands (Main Window)

milk_meat
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

Hi guys, I'm predominantly a Logic user but recently I've had to learn ProTools and they have a few key commands that are incredibly useful and can't seem to find a way to replicate them in Logic. Perhaps I'm not using the Logic equivalent terminology when searching but hopefully someone here can bridge the gap. The Pro Tools commands and what they do are as follows.

1. Control + Click
This allows you to align the start of a region to the start of another region. You simply select the region that has the desired start point and then hold Control and click on all the other regions you want aligned to it.

2. Command + Option + "G"
This is what Pro Tools calls the "Group Regions" command. This will allow you to select all of the regions that you want grouped together, then when you execute the key command, it'll temporarily merge all of the regions you selected into one big region that you can move around. When you're done moving it where you need to, you can ungroup the merged region and all your original small regions are back and followed your move.

• Solution
1 hour ago, milk_meat said:

1. Control + Click
This allows you to align the start of a region to the start of another region. You simply select the region that has the desired start point and then hold Control and click on all the other regions you want aligned to it.

In Logic, that (Ctrl+click) command usually opens a contextual menu.

I think to achieve same action in Logic one has to set the playhead to the beginning of the referenced region (kc= Go to Selection StartControl-), select the regions to be moved, move them to the playhead position (kc= Move Region/Event to Playhead Position (Pickup Clock): Semicolon (;).

(There might be other workflow)

1 hour ago, milk_meat said:

2. Command + Option + "G"
This is what Pro Tools calls the "Group Regions" command. This will allow you to select all of the regions that you want grouped together, then when you execute the key command, it'll temporarily merge all of the regions you selected into one big region that you can move around. When you're done moving it where you need to, you can ungroup the merged region and all your original small regions are back and followed your move. 

That process in Logic is called folder.

Packing/unpacking a folder (kc = undefined, I think…?)

On could customise different key commands sets and import a predefined ProTool one…

Thank you so much for your suggestions Atlas, the first one works well as a workaround. As for the second, I need to revisit folder packing. I looked at it when I first started using Logic many years ago but abandoned it because I didn't see it as very useful and confusing to work with but maybe I need to re-visit it.

• Like 1